Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HDD Power On Hours - Should i complain for this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HDD Power On Hours - Should i complain for this?

Ordered a Via Nano U2250 for EUR9 from OneProvider. Got delivered a little late (5 days). Just checked a little S.M.A.R.T data:

# smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power 9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 070 070 000 Old_age Always - 26904 12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 43 192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 22

It's actually 26904 hours / 24 = 1121 days = 3.07 years.

What do you think?

P.S. Support is very slow. I'm waiting for a reinstall (because no IPMI) for more than 10 hours now.

Comments

• Why would you complain??

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

@pbalazs123 said:
    Ordered a Via Nano U2250 for EUR9 from OneProvider. Got delivered a little late (5 days). Just checked a little S.M.A.R.T data:

# smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power 9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 070 070 000 Old_age Always - 26904 12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 43 192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 22

It's actually 26904 hours / 24 = 1121 days = 3.07 years.

What do you think?

P.S. Support is very slow. I'm waiting for a reinstall (because no IPMI) for more than 10 hours now.

I used there servers for gaming purpose in India, Trust me they dont care for their customers, they used to reply in days not in hours. No matter they have very competitive prices but horrible service.

• @pbalazs123 what is the drive size? does it match the server on their website?

A lot of people were given incorrect old drives (including myself).

• @AsadHaider

Yeah it matches the size.

• It works, they never said something about how old the drive is. So unless it dies you can't and shouldn't complain.

• Yeah if it's performing well, why would you complain? I had a server with DataShack and it was close to 30000 power on hours.

• Ok, ty guys!

• Pretty sure the highest % failure rates happen in year 1 or after year 5 on most hard drives, that puppy is in the prime of its life

• @pbalazs123 said:

I suppose that server is an online.net server resold by OneProvider. If it is, you really should try to get one direct from online.net. Online.net has a panel where you can reinstall/repartition your server. (they are out of stock atm, but they usually add some stock 2-4 times/week)

• Hitachi disks (at least some of them) store power-on lifetime in minutes,

• Yeah for that VIA nano you are better off going directly with online.net. You get bigger disk (500GB) and KVM over IP on demand. The extra 1 EUR is worth it.

OneProvider will allow user to reinstall through the panel, though. A planned feature to be released by the new year at the latest (according to the last email blast).