Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KS-1 keep as seedbox or get VPS for that?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KS-1 keep as seedbox or get VPS for that?

ArkasArkas Moderator

I've been using my KS1 (OVH) as a seedbox, let's face it, it's not fast. Should I get a cheap VPS to use as a seedbox and use the KS1 for testing my WP pages, or php-mysql tests? Other use? Should I keep it as is?
Thanks.

Comments

• I think you should keep it as it is as long as the "slowness" doesn't bother you, I use mine for the same thing and it has served me well through the years.

Thanked by 2Arkas chedenaz
  • How is the upload speed? I have KS7 and the upload speed is not very good

• @Chalipa said:
    How is the upload speed? I have KS7 and the upload speed is not very good

It's 10/10 for me for DL and UL. I hit the caps all the time.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@edoarudo5 said: It's 10/10 for me for DL and UL. I hit the caps all the time

Same here.

Thanks for the feedback. I might as well keep it as is, I'll just need to update to ubuntu 20 as it's still running 18, and then re install the seedbox apps

• @edoarudo5 said:

10Mbps?

• @Arkas said:

@edoarudo5 said: It's 10/10 for me for DL and UL. I hit the caps all the time

Same here.

Thanks for the feedback. I might as well keep it as is, I'll just need to update to ubuntu 20 as it's still running 18, and then re install the seedbox apps

I run Windows 10 on mine with a bitcoin full node wallet, LOL.

• @Chalipa said:

@edoarudo5 said:

10Mbps?

Yes.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Chalipa said: 10Mbps?

Mine can reach 100, but it is not sustainable and I prefer to fly under the radar

Thanked by 1edoarudo5
  • I'm able to max ten megabytes per second both ways.

Thanked by 1chedenaz
  • The maximum upload speed I get is 480kbps :(

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Chalipa said: The maximum upload speed I get is 480kbps

Even for both ways, that's kind of low. Ask them to change your node.

• @Arkas said:

@Chalipa said: 10Mbps?

Mine can reach 100, but it is not sustainable and I prefer to fly under the radar

Wow, you got lucky to have one with 1 Gbps cap.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@edoarudo5 said: Wow, you got lucky to have one with 1 Gbps cap

I've had it since they came out I think. Some people got bigger drives and got lucky, I got a faster cap :blush:

• Ks1 is very rare..and its pretty good.

Thanked by 1chedenaz
  • Keep the KS-1 it's a rare one.

• I only find the speed an issue at all when re-checking hashes, when something big has finished coming in (not usually an issue, if I want something urgently I'll transfer it direct to home or wherever I currently am instead of (or as well as) using the seedbox) or when I have to restart completely for updates (that can take a short while as my KS-1 has a larger drive, usually with a good chunk more than 1Tb sat around to check, but again it has never really been an inconvenience).

If I didn't have the larger drive I'd consider using it for other things instead, but I'd not get rid as I'd likely never get it back if I changed my mind. It isn't fast, but it has been reliable over the years (one drive failure, which is how it ended up with a bigger one, not unexpected with old kit and the replacement was damn fast) and has many potential uses even considering I don't trust old kit (especially old kit without two drives I can RAID) with some tasks.

• edited November 2021

@Chalipa said:
    How is the upload speed? I have KS7 and the upload speed is not very good

That will vary depending on where you are and where your server is… My KS-1 is in France and I'm in the UK.

It never seems to have trouble getting close to 100mbit/s in either direction with torrents unless the swarm overall is slow.

Transferring from there to me with a single stream (usually rsync over SSH) isn't always that good even when there is next to nothing going out from the seeded torrents or other tasks the machine is involved in. My home link is ~76Mbit, pulling from the KS-1 can often max that out (assuming the machine is otherwise quiet) but is occasionally as slow as ~30Mbit. I've not been bothered enough to try multiple streams when this has happened, to see if it would help any, though I have tested enough to be convinced that the bottleneck isn't my line or ISP (who have pretty decent peering arrangements to Europe) in those cases.

For what I pay, I can't (justifiably) complain.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited November 2021

I'm going to keep it as a seedbox. I was just wondering If it could be useful for something else.

P.S. I was never thinking of getting rid of the KS1, just wondering what to use it for.

• edited November 2021

@Arkas said:
    just wondering what to use it for.

As well as ahem Linux ISOs, mine:

• Runs bind as one of the DNS servers for my domains (though a really small VPS could do that).
    • Has in the past done some general static web hosting (low complexity low traffic dynamic sites would probably be fine too).
    • Is sometimes used as a convenient place to throw files for others to download (my photos & videos, those ahem ISOs) and a couple of trusted others have accounts on the simple file sharing script that manages that so they can do the same. Up to 100mbit isn't the fastest but fast enough and faster than hosting the content off my home line (~17mibt upstream) (I upload once, multiple people can then download faster without taking home bandwidth).
    • Also using https://openseadragon.github.io/ I've had it serve sample high-res maps for running/trekking routes (though my home link is fast enough to do that locally)
    • Was recently a holding site for paranoia copies of data while I was rearranging my backups elsewhere a bit, in case I fucked up.

You could also:

• Run a basic mail server (not chunky suites like Zimbra, but many other IMAP/POP/SMTP supporting mail serving arrangements will be OK even some simpler webmail services) off it just fine (though I have no idea how “clean” the DC's IPv4 addresses are for sending mail as I've never actually done this)
    • Use it for a VPN for when travelling and using untrusted WiFi (I once tested OpenVPN running on an old netbook and IIRC it pushed about 90mbit/s, so these similar-but-slightly-better better Atom chips should be able to saturate the 100mbit link in at least one direction, and WireGuard my do the same with more CPU resource to spare)
    • Retro game server maybe?
    Thanked by 1Arkas