Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Webhosting Provider Threatening Me To Upgrade To Higher Package On A New Site With Zero Traffic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Webhosting Provider Threatening Me To Upgrade To Higher Package On A New Site With Zero Traffic

MisterChewMisterChew Member
edited November 2021 in Help

My website is hosted on NexusBytes which is supposedly a renowned provider. I am on the 1G package. This is a brand new website where I am getting little to no traffic, yet in the 5 days, since I joined, they said I've peaked 100% CPU Limit twice, and is threatening that if my website continues to spike, I will be forced to be upgraded to a higher-tier web hosting plan.

I am already running Bunny CDN, and WP Rocket.

Google Pagespeed Insights: 92 on mobile, 97 on desktop

I am not sure what else more I can do to optimize my website further without tinkering with the codes for hours (which I do not want to do).

I have no issues with paying more if I am actually getting decent traffic and/or that my site is poorly optimized, but it is not.

I paid for an annual plan too.

Plugins:

• bunny.net
  • Elementor
  • Elementor Pro
  • FluentSMTP
  • Imagify
  • iThemes Security
  • Updraft
  • WP Rocket (Now disabled as suggested by other users)

Advice?

Comments

• Paging @seriesn (Nexus Bytes)

• It you are using WP Rocket, it may be the problem. When making cache for your wordpress website, it will use a lot of CPUs.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2021

This is not a static website: https://rise49.com/wp-login.php

• MisterChewMisterChew Member
    edited November 2021

@jar said:

I am NOT a web developer. Thanks for your contribution. Good to know that my site isn't static. I learn something new every day.

@MisterChew said:

@jar said:

Your combative language coupled with lies is offensive and you should feel bad. If I were @seriesn you'd be moving providers within the hour.

I am NOT a web developer. Thanks for pointing that out. Good to know that my site isn't static.

Even static caching plug-ins can be rendered useless by themes and other plugins. Every thing that you add to WordPress alters it's function to seemingly unlimited combinations.

• You could try using Wp2Static and converting your WP site completely to static on Bunny, or Netlify.

Thanked by 1g4m3r
  • maybe you are experience a low-slow brute login like attack for your login. hehehe :-) have your check the login error logs?

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2021

I was not aware that Ionswitch had shared hosting- unless OP's shared hosting provider has their VPS.

Edit: OP modified shared hosting provider is NexusBytes

Are there any advantages for a web marketing company by preventing indexing?

What is the base theme used?

Thanked by 1Ympker
    edited November 2021

@team_traitor said:
    maybe you are experience a low-slow brute login like attack for your login. hehehe :-) have your check the login error logs?

About 44 BF attacks on Nov 2nd. 296 on Nov 1. 410 on Oct 31st.

Normal?

• @vyas11 said:
    I was not aware that Ionswitch had shared hosting- unless OP's shared hosting provider has their VPS.

Hello Theme

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited November 2021

@MisterChew said:
    My website is hosted on NexusBytes which is supposedly a renowned provider. I am on the 1G package. This is a brand new website where I am getting little to no traffic, yet in the 5 days, since I joined, they said I've peaked 100% CPU Limit twice, and is threatening that if my website continues to spike, I will be forced to be upgraded to a higher-tier web hosting plan.

I am not sure what else more I can do to optimize my website further without tinkering with the codes for hours (which I do not want to do).

I have no issues with paying more if I am actually getting decent traffic and/or that my site is poorly optimized, but it is not.

Plugins:

• bunny.net
    • Elementor
    • Elementor Pro
    • FluentSMTP
    • Imagify
    • iThemes Security
    • Updraft

Advice?

Check the usage stats (if that info is available).
    Look for any plugin conflicts or problems.
    I've had a development (staging) website with zero visitors go 100% CPU because of a conflict between a caching plugin and the WCFM plugin.

I had notifications configured so reacted before the provider had to warn me.

WP troubleshooting and checking any error logs can help.
    In the future - have a website staging copy and test every update there, before pushing it to the production website (if you aren't doing that already).

EDIT:
    WP Rocket was a good caching plugin (haven't played with it for years though, since switching to LiteSpeed). It could have a problem/conflict, but so could any other plugin with any other plugin.

Now, some stupid questions, but I prefer asking before assuming anything:
    Updraft - what's do you use it for (so I can suggest alternatives)?
    FluentSMTP - same question.
    Imagify - same question.
    iThemes Security - again.
    bunny.net - same.

Does the provider have a LiteSpeed server?

Thanked by 3jar MisterChew Ympker
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2021

@MisterChew said:

@vyas11 said:

Hello Theme

While I still do not understand the need to use WordPress and associated artillery for a one page website. Unless there are plans to do more down the line.

Coming to topic Hello is a good base theme to work on! Atleast we know there is little chance of code bloat.
    @bikegremlin has covered the staging topic, let me also dwell below.

Eliminating for other "freak" variables (robots attempting to crawl sites multiple times for eg), here's what I would suggest:

a. Create a subdomain, redirect traffic there. Keep the static version of the site there for now.
    b. Create a staging site. Disable all plugins. Run loader or similar tool.
    Start enabling one plugin at a time, re run loader.
    -->I would recommend getting a $ 5 a year plan on a different host- plenty of offers on LET- for the testing.
    c. You may be able to discover the errant plugin if one exists.
    d. Once resolved, make amends on main site, stop the redirect.

Then of course there’s Cloudflare for blocking bots and scripts, but which seems to create divided opinions.

I am also curious: What is bunny plugin doing and what is imagify doing? what alternatives to fluent smtp have you considered?

Edit:

1. @bikegremlin the server seems to have LiteSpeed, Quic comes to mind, that's why my above Q- role of Bunny and imagify.

Looks like redundancy in functionality by using plugins. Finalizing which to use of course comes from trial (and errors).

@seriesn LET volunteer helpdesk has done it bit. over to you!

• @bikegremlin said:

@MisterChew said:

Plugins:

• bunny.net
    • Elementor
    • Elementor Pro
    • FluentSMTP
    • Imagify
    • iThemes Security
    • Updraft

Advice?

I've had a development (staging) website with zero visitors go 100% CPU because of a conflict between a caching plugin and the WCFM plugin.

In the future - have a website staging copy and test every update there, before pushing it to the production website (if you aren't doing that already).

As far as usage stats go, there is a resource monitor within directadmin that I can look at. It displays cpu usage, physical memory usage, etc. I'm not sure how that is relevant in diagnoses though.

Is there a wp plugin that I can install to detect that stuff?

edited November 2021

@MisterChew said:

@bikegremlin said:

@MisterChew said:

Plugins:

• bunny.net
    • Elementor
    • Elementor Pro
    • FluentSMTP
    • Imagify
    • iThemes Security
    • Updraft

Advice?

As far as usage stats go, there is a resource monitor within directadmin that I can look at. It displays cpu usage, physical memory usage, etc. I'm not sure how that is relevant in diagnoses though.

Is there a wp plugin that I can install to detect that stuff?

Apologies in advance:
    I may not be the best at explaining stuff using text alone, in a language that isn't my native. Giving my best.

To answer your question first: I haven't found any WP plugins that have really helped me with troubleshooting. Maybe they exist, but the ones I could find aren't giving any info I can't get using other means, which are more effective.

Before going any further, I'd suggest you read the posts above by @vyas11 and me - some hints, if not answers are provided there (we seem to both be thinking in the same direction). May not be the perfect, clearest English, but you can always ask for clarification. :)

To expand on the plugin question: every additional plugin is a potential stability and even security problem. There is a plugin for practically everything, often completely free (with more-less catches and gotchas), but I would advise against doing that (again, in addition to that, I haven't found a really useful "troubleshooting WordPress plugin"). Resource monitor in DirectAdmin is enough to show you the basic info/stats. This is what I mean:

That's a start - to check and confirm if you have a problem.

Then, if you confirm there is one, and are curious to pinpoint it, enabling WP and PHP debug should be the next step. A Solomon's solution would be to start by switching and removing some plugins (to give advice on that, I'd need a confirmation on what each one is used for).

Also, you could start disabling one plugin at a time, keeping an eye on resource usage. That could tell you what the culprit is. Sometimes more than two plugins have a conflict, in which case you may not get all the culprits on the first go, but once the problems have stopped, you can start enabling one disabled plugin at a time and check. Even that isn't 100% certain (lots of permutations) - and the more plugins you have, the more tedious this procedure is. But it is very effective.

Hope I've helped more than I've confused you. :)

On that same note, to prevent problems in the future - strict(er) vetting of the used plugins (and theme for that matter) can help a lot (but not 100%, not always, even the best ones can have hiccups from time to time, only not on a regular basis). And, make a staging website copy for any testing and even troubleshooting (no need to show the error codes on the production site's front end).
    Edit - an easy way to make a staging copy is using Softaculous. It's not perfect, but works well enough for that use and is quite simple and intuitive.

• Go with digitalocean

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited November 2021

To be honest, my friend also has trouble with NexusBytes when it comes to CPU usage. But with their VPS line. It was so bad, that the incoming DDoS was less problem than the CPU limits which the host imposed.

He seems to be super conservative about CPU usage. either he cares a lot about node performance.. So much that it negatively affects all customers that actually don't idle, or he oversells so hard that it would become problem if he was not this strict about it.

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • But... but... he is prem :'( family and everything... Nooooo

Thanked by 2bruh21 o_be_one
  • @stefeman said:
    To be honest, my friend also has trouble with NexusBytes when it comes to CPU usage. But with their VPS line. It was so bad, that the incoming DDoS was less problem than the CPU limits which the host imposed.

He seems to be super conservative about CPU usage. either he cares a lot about node performance.. So much that it negatively affects all customers that actually don't idle, or he oversells so hard that it would become problem if he was not this strict about it.

has your friend experienced any steal time in his vps?

edited November 2021

@stefeman said:

Maybe the provider is just being reasonable. You can't expect to pay shared-environment prices and use 100% CPU (or 80% for most of the time for that matter - you get the point) - not with good performance for all the customers on the same physical server.

• You’re a creative agency why are you using Wordpress for your homepage anyway?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @bikegremlin said:

@stefeman said:

Maybe the provider is just being reasonable. You can't expect to pay shared-environment prices and use 100% CPU (or 80% for most of the time for that matter - you get the point) - not with good performance for all the customers on the same physical server.

While I agree with this, at some point it becomes odd when enough people have same issue with CPU limits.

edited November 2021

@stefeman said:

@bikegremlin said:

@stefeman said:

While I agree with this, at some point it becomes odd when enough people have same issue with CPU limits.

It depends - the number (or, better, percentage) of users with that problem is one thing. But even that doesn't show the full picture.

CPU load for one is measurable. Is one using over 50% CPU for more than 30 minutes at a time? That would be a good starting point for me to recommend a higher plan to a customer (if I wanted to bother with being a shared/VPS hosting provider).

Without such policy, you have to either charge a lot more (since you can't oversell nearly as much without overloading the server), or let the customers suffer poor performance (which many providers do).

Thanked by 2stefeman MisterChew
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@MisterChew said:

Advice?

Whatta pretty simple site.

If someone is bruteforcing you, it will consume more resources as soon as you get them. Provider should tell you what's happening. Could be some script as well. Perhaps this level of service just does not apply to shared hosting. And of course, advising (or forcing) to upgrade the plan without looking at problem is the most cost effective solution. You could open a ticket and ask provider to take a look.

edited November 2021

@vero said:

@MisterChew said:

Advice?

Whatta pretty simple site.

If someone is bruteforcing you, it will consume more resources as soon as you get them. Provider should tell you what's happening. Could be some script as well. Perhaps this level of service just does not apply to shared hosting. And of course, advising (or forcing) to upgrade the plan without looking at problem is the most cost effective solution. You could open a ticket and ask provider to take a look.

I have, they threw a list of potential problems, and basically implied that I should diagnose the problem myself.

EDIT: The 100% High CPU usage on Nov 2 12AM.

EDIT2: CPU Usage from the day I joined until now

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2021

And you got told to upgrade for that? :o Wow.
    Were they automated emails?

Thanked by 1drunkendog
    edited November 2021

@AllHost_Ben said:
    And you got told to upgrade for that? :o Wow.
    Were they automated emails?

The emails were automated.
    I was told to upgrade to a higher-tier plan if this continues.

• Where is @seriesn ?

Haven't seen him lurking in a while... Hope he is okay.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
    edited November 2021

@bikegremlin said:

@MisterChew said:

Plugins:

• bunny.net
    • Elementor
    • Elementor Pro
    • FluentSMTP
    • Imagify
    • iThemes Security
    • Updraft

Advice?

EDIT:
    WP Rocket was a good caching plugin (haven't played with it for years though, since switching to LiteSpeed). It could have a problem/conflict, but so could any other plugin with any other plugin.

Now, some stupid questions, but I prefer asking before assuming anything:
    Updraft - what's do you use it for (so I can suggest alternatives)?
    FluentSMTP - same question.
    Imagify - same question.
    iThemes Security - again.
    bunny.net - same.

Does the provider have a LiteSpeed server?

NexusBytes uses Litespeed, but REDIS and MEMCACHED are disabled for shared hosting, so I cannot use Litespeed Cache Plugin (sigh).

Updraft is a WordPress site backup plugin, fluentsmtp is to enable smtp connection for email purposes, imagify is an image optimization plugin, ithemes security is a wordpress security plugin, bunny.net plugin is my CDN plugin.

I might be able to find alternatives for these, but I would prefer not to. If you look at my previous post, my 100% high CPU usage was only for a minute or so, yet I am still flagged for high CPU usage.

I am seriously considering of transferring my Webhosting to another.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable and dependable web host for around $10/year in NA?

As much as I would like to use a VPS, I don't want to bother managing it. Managed VPS is out of my budget.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited November 2021

@MisterChew said:
    As much as I would like to use a VPS, I don't want to bother managing it. Self-managing VPS is out of my budget.

So your time is valuable but the provider's is not?

You're on the fucking 1.25 buck plan and you expect hand-holding?

Jesus fucking Christ, either buy a managed service, hire competent developers to build your shit, stop using WordShit.

edited November 2021

@MisterChew said: REDIS and MEMCACHED are disabled for shared hosting

Unless users get their own dedicated instances, this is a good thing for security. Shared caching written and altered by users without separation of ownership is a recipe for a good old fashioned attack by polluting cache.

Make everyone's site into pornhub with this one neat trick...

Thanked by 2skorous Maounique