Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking UK based dedis
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking UK based dedis

hackermanhackerman Member
edited November 2021 in Requests

Hello folks,

I'm looking for some offers on 8 cores and 16 cores dedicated machines.
Other requirements include:

• London/UK based
  • NVMe storage
  • min 32GB

I am not looking for anything crazy like 10GBPS link or unmetered bandwidth.

The best so far I've seen is on OVH:
Rise-2 (Xeon-D 2141I), ~£60/m
or Rise-4 (Epyc 7371), ~£152/m

Not really comparable, the Epyc annihilates the Xeon-D.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

p.s. I don't know why the title of this post feel very craigslist-esque :D

Comments

• @stratagem might have something

Thanked by 1stratagem
  • @Clouvider might have something suitable for you.

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2021

Thanks @NobodyInteresting!
    We don't have anything in the way of offers on dedis currently so without wanting to do myself out of a sale I will say that you're going to get better value for money with OVH or Clouvider currently ;)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Razza said:
    @Clouvider might have something suitable for you.

Thanks a lot for the mention!

@hackerman have a look at https://www.clouvider.com/dedicated-servers/london/

Many thanks!

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

ovh is probably the cheapest

• OVH is the cheapest .. but don't rely to much on them for support

• What kills me is how hard it is to get a decently priced dedi in this country. I know it’s going to be more than OVH, but getting anything with a few biggish disks is so fucking expensive.

Thanked by 2Erisa HyperSpeed
  • BogddanBogddan Member
    edited November 2021

You can also check https://zare.com/

Thanked by 1Zare
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    What kills me is how hard it is to get a decently priced dedi in this country. I know it’s going to be more than OVH, but getting anything with a few biggish disks is so fucking expensive.

I mean providers already said here, its to expense to ship hardware to this "bloody" island since Brexit.

• @Neoon said:

@Nekki said:
    What kills me is how hard it is to get a decently priced dedi in this country. I know it’s going to be more than OVH, but getting anything with a few biggish disks is so fucking expensive.

I mean providers already said here, its to expense to ship hardware to this "bloody" island since Brexit.

From the couriers charging more to ship or customs/brokerage/taxes as a result of going through new regulations?

• @Neoon said:

@Nekki said:

It’s always been this way, even before we fell for the inelegant fiction of the Brexit campaign.

• @TimboJones said:

@Neoon said:

@Nekki said:

From the couriers charging more to ship or customs/brokerage/taxes as a result of going through new regulations?

Customs is a lot more work, apparently, plus couriers raping the arse out of this for no other reason than they can.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • hackermanhackerman Member
    edited November 2021

@Clouvider said:

@Razza said:
    @Clouvider might have something suitable for you.

Thanks a lot for the mention!

@hackerman have a look at https://www.clouvider.com/dedicated-servers/london/

Many thanks!

Unfortunately no 8 core boxes :(

@utx said:
    OVH is the cheapest .. but don't rely to much on them for support

That's fine, I know how to manage my boxes and haven't had issue with OVH support in the very rare low-crit instances I've needed them.

Thanks, seeing some decent offerings there.

@Nekki said:

Hear, hear. The sh*tty tax system and now Brexit. But my clients need the low latency so UK it has to be.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ZareZare Member, Host Rep

We got stock of 9900k with NVMe and 32GB as standard. Ping us a message and I’m sure we can assist you!

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@hackerman said: (Re. @Clouvider) Unfortunately no 8 core boxes

Indeed there are some.

SuperMicro E5-2640v4 8-Bay
    €229.41 EUR / Monthly
    CPU: 1x E5-2640v4
    CPU Specs: 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 2.4 GHz
    RAM: 128 GB DDR4 ECC
    Storage: 1x 960GB SSD, with option of 8 SSD/HDD

Supermicro AMD Epyc 7302P
    €276.46 EUR / Monthly
    CPU: 7302P
    CPU Specs: 16 Cores, 32 Threads, 3.0 GHz
    RAM: 128 GB upto 512 GB DDR4 ECC
    Storage: 2x 960 GB NVMe upto 4 NVMe

Pricing is obviously slightly above OVH. But the same applies to quality, too.
    And of course you can always ask @Clouvider to check for a custom plan.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Nekki said:

We practically can't import anything in the UK from EU ourselves. Most of the couriers we work with simply stopped accepting palettes towards the UK and the ones that do - are insanely priced and refuse to do any customs work. I've been trying to find a way to ship EPYC nodes from Bulgaria for months now.

Anyway, @hackerman I'd check with @Clouvider directly for a custom quote. I am sure they will be more than willing to accommodate custom orders as well, as long as they are sane.

Thanked by 2hackerman HyperSpeed
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@AlexBarakov said:

@Nekki said:

We practically can't import anything in the UK from EU ourselves. Most of the couriers we work with simply stopped accepting palettes towards the UK and the ones that do - are insanely priced and refuse to do any customs work. I've been trying to find a way to ship EPYC nodes from Bulgaria for months now.

Anyway, @hackerman I'd check with @Clouvider directly for a custom quote. I am sure they will be more than willing to accommodate custom orders as well, as long as they are sane.

is it cheaper to first ship to the US and then to UK

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@skorupion said: is it cheaper to first ship to the US and then to UK

The issue is not the shipping cost, it's import + VAT, which is not deductible unless you're incorporated in the UK + the hassle with customs, you probably need to hire a company to do the import for you. Although, if anyone has experience willing to share, I will be thankful.

Thanked by 1hackerman
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@AlexBarakov said:

@skorupion said: is it cheaper to first ship to the US and then to UK

The issue is not the shipping cost, it's import + VAT, which is not deductible unless you're incorporated in the UK + the hassle with customs, you probably need to hire a company to do the import for you. Although, if anyone has experience willing to share, I will be thankful.

that's why I'm maybe wondering if because of taxes it would be cheaper to ship from eu to USA to UK. Especially beacuse of tax heaven ports

@dfroe said
    slightly

edited November 2021

im sure custom they can work something out but at regular pricing ovh is far cheaper

• RHCHostingRHCHosting Member, Host Rep

We currently have the following configuration in stock in the UK and ready to deliver within an hour :

• 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v3 @ 2.30GHz
    • 128 GB RAM
    • 2 TB Samsung Evo NVMe
    • iDRAC Full Access - Upload and Install your Own ISO
    • Gigabit Network Speed
    • Unlimited Bandwidth

$199 / month - No Setup Fee

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

Have an upcoming offer on these if that's of interest?
    2x E5-2650v3, 128GB RAM, 2x 1TB SSD, 5 IPs, 50TB Bandwidth @ 10Gb/s Port, UK Location
    £95/month

• FractionFrankFractionFrank Member, Host Rep

@Neoon said:

@Nekki said:

Electric in the UK now being the most expensive in Europe doesn't help things either!
    https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/091321-factbox-uk-electricity-prices-now-most-expensive-in-europe