Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many visitors can 1GB RAM , 2GB RAM , 6GB RAM can handle ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many visitors can 1GB RAM , 2GB RAM , 6GB RAM can handle ?

I am asking a very common question. I know the answer is not accurate and there's no proper answer for this question. But just asking, share your opinion.

Suppose, A cPanel Shared Hosting with LiteSpeed Web Server and CloudLinux Installed and having 2GB RAM , 2MB/s I/O , 100% CPU in cPanel , Number of Process 100 , Entry Process 20 , IOPS 1024. This Shared Hosting can handle how much real time traffic on a wordpress site ? and how much daily, monthly visitors can it handle?

and now one more,

There is a VPS with
1 core
2gb ram
CentOS 7.9
1tb Bandwidth
how much real time traffic, daily visitors, monthly visitors it can handle?

I know that there's no accurate and proper answer for my question, it really depends upon the website i am hosting. But please tell me your opinion on a simple wordpress website and on a little bit heavy wordpress website and on a simple php website and a static website. I really needs your opinion, i have been trying to find out answer for this but didn't find. Please tell me your opinion, don't tell it depends upon site i have mentioned some website please tell me in number.

Thank you.

Comments

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

At least 4, maybe 5. Nobody here is a mind reader / fortune teller that knows what kind of sites you’ll be building / hosting. Any figures you get won’t be worth the power you’re using to show them on screen.

Thanked by 1niknar1900
  • emreemre Member, LIR

I am bidding $7 for #2

• A LOT

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

How many sessions can a hooker handle? Missing numbers once again,

Thanked by 2dahartigan codelock
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

20 entry processes mean that you can handle 20 HTTP requests simultaneously.
    Each browser can have 2 requests in parallel.
    Therefore, this plan can support 10 visitors.

Thanked by 1nick_
  • Guys i am serious.

Suppose,
    There is a
    Blog With Simple WordPress Theme
    Blog With a Heavy WordPress Theme
    Woocommerce Website with Simple Theme
    Woocommerce Website with Heavy Theme

Simple PHP,MYSQL,HTML,CSS Website
    Laraval Ecommerce Website

Static website.

How much Visitors it can handle?
    I have mentioned other details in this thread.
    Please answer genuinely.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Depends on the site and how it's optimised. We manage an woocommerce site that gets 150,000-200,000 unique hits a month on a 2 core/4gb RAM VPS and memory usage is around 850mb and load average is around 0.2 so it'd easily handle more.

But on the opposite end a large Magento site is going to need more resources.

If you know traffic numbers, you can somewhat plan accordingly. If you don't know traffic numbers start small, optimise, and grow from there.

Thanked by 2farsighter risharde
  • @yoursunny said:
    20 entry processes mean that you can handle 20 HTTP requests simultaneously.
    Each browser can have 2 requests in parallel.
    Therefore, this plan can support 10 visitors.

How many entry Process generaly shared hosting provide?

• I have 2 cars.
    How long can i hold breath underwater?

Thanked by 2wpyoga dahartigan

@M2DEV said:
    I have 2 cars.

I have 17 servers.
    How many push-ups can I do?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • The forum name should be LowEndTroll :)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited October 2021

@titaniumboy said:
    Guys i am serious.

Suppose,
    There is a

Static website.

Please answer genuinely.

Ignoring the other joke answers... (They are funny though...)

You're looking for an answer to a question that you think has realistic parameters and will have a "ballpark" answer. It doesn't have one. If someone gives you a hard number answer, then the confidence in that number is very low.

Realistic answer is what @Mr_Tom wrote. It really depends on each site and how well it's optimized. That's why you have stress testing services that will test your site with X amount of traffic and see how well they operate. However, synthetic traffic is only useful to a certain extent as organic traffic will include additional overhead (e.g. asking for different operations beyond page loading, etc.).

There are "guesstimates" some people have, like ServerBolt who claims:

(number of CPU cores / Average Page Response Time in seconds) * 60 * User Click Frequency in seconds = Maximum simultaneous users

They're not wrong, but they're not exactly right... either. They keep it relative to your own system based on number of CPUs and ignores (or generalizes) network and memory constraints. Lowendbox is a community focused on hardcore optimization and have previously supported LEB.com traffic on a very low-end box (I believe at one point it was a 80MB Xen VPS from QuickWeb), but then again that was 2010.

So there is no "ballpark" answer. It really depends on your own hardware and how well you configure the software. It depends on how big the load is from the traffic and it depends on how much capacity you have. It's something you should probably test with your own setup and find something relative to your own metrics. However, your limit will be the lowest number of variable X. If you don't have enough CPUs, then you'll be constrained by your CPU power. If you don't have enough RAM, then you're limited by RAM. If it's not one, then it'll be the other. Even then, scaling is different as some apps might have a base RAM requirement and then scales linearly based on number of visitors. Others just have individual processes per visitor. Etc.

So if you really do need a number, well then here it is: 69

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

How long is a string?

Without showing an actual string is the gist of your question.

A single abuser can take your operation down.

So, join Nigh sect, sell your assets, and be sad.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@HalfEatenPie said: However, synthetic traffic is only useful to a certain extent as organic traffic will include additional overhead

Yeah they're good to get an idea of how the setup will cope with sudden bursts, but even then they're not always 100%

I've done a load test to check how a site would handle an influx of visitors in prep for a newsletter and was happy with the results - when the newsletter went out the site stayed up and response time will still quick, but man was I on edge as the load went just over 40 (on an 6 core/12 thread CPU).

There's lots to be done to fully optimise a site. There's a whole different discussion on "modern" web development that I don't fully agree with how a lot of it done but let's not go there lol.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

depends how you optimise the server? or how long is the string?

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited October 2021

@M2DEV said: I have 2 cars.

If the cars have Diesel engines, the answer is 1 minute 43 seconds, If Gasoline, 2 minutes 36 seconds.
    Now how many tomatoes did I eat for each leap year Napoleon grew his mustache?

• 1gb ram, 1 core 2ghz modern one, fresh, nvme, hedtiacp with Apache and nginx, php 7.4, wp 5.8, without any issues handled 80+ visitors at the same time. Yes, we have caching enabled, and tune some settings. Opcache really matters. I did not test, but probably will take around 70-80 requests per second without any issues.

Litespeed much faster and utilize less resources

• There are online tools that could let you send high amount of request to your website.. basically stress testing..

e.g: loadview-testing

That way you can find out the limit of your vps resources when requests show timed out it means your server is struggling/dying

@titaniumboy said:
    How many entry Process generaly shared hosting provide?

Twenty.

@Arkas said:

Three.

@nikozin said:
    There are online tools that could let you send high amount of request to your website.. basically stress testing..

e.g: loadview-testing

No need to pay for those things.
    Piss off @Bytefend and @tinyweasel, and you'll receive high amount of request to your website.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • team_traitorteam_traitor Member
    edited October 2021

@titaniumboy said:
    Guys i am serious.

Suppose,
    There is a

200-300 request/seconds or 10-20 visitor/minute (x60 minutes in an hour x 24hours day)

Static website.

Please answer genuinely.

A hello world static website can do 500-1200 visitor/minute (we are talking premium shared hosting here) if vps then multiple it by 3.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • 100 -+ visitor (concurent user)

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

@titaniumboy said:
    The forum name should be LowEndTroll :)

Because you are fishing for information with all sorts of half baked, missing or incomplete data. Don’t make others do the thinking and hard work on your behalf. That serves the entitled, pompous types well. Unless you are one.

If you search the forum you will get some relevant data.

Set up a couple of test sites, with different hosting/wp/php/myswl version on the test machine and hardware specs. Test with loader and then discussion might have more relevance.

For the record I have tested upto 1000 visitors on. a 1 vcpu/7gb hdd with 256 MB RAM.. actual traffic was closer to 100 concurrent users.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited October 2021

upload a simple html page, and also a php page with functions.
    And stress-test it with any loader application on the internet.
    You'll come to know how much of visitors one page can handle per second.

As YourSunny has stated 20 EP process could handle 10 visitors at a time. Here, at a time, means in 1 second as php processes / http connections open and run in few milliseconds.
    But I don't think people host sites/wordpress that get 10 visitors/second on shared platform. As if you do not use server-cache or cache plugin the CPU (100% ~ 1vCore) will start showing fault (reach its maximum allocation) if there are 1000s of posts/fields/rows in your SQL database that will have to be crawled, fetched, and data retrieved and displayed. WP site with 15 to 20 super-heavy plugins like "related posts" etc. can eat all your CPU before those 10 visitors reach your site.

For 1core VPS, and 2gb of ram, this will run out too quickly as 1 core will first be used by the OS, then the LAMP, or any web-server, mysql server, then renaming will be available for your wordpress application (backend, wp-admin) and for plugins, themes, and lastly for the php, wp cron jobs, etc. Same goes for 2gb of RAM, if you install directadmin panel, or any cPanel, etc you'll at least require 1GB ram to run it smoothly, then remaining for wordpress application.

This does not mean you can't run single/multiple wp sites on 1v core VPS, you can, but not if you are receiving 10 visitors per second without caching layers, tweaking the VPS for optimum utilization of resources and throwing a CDN cache on top of it.

Thanked by 2vyas11 risharde
  • many™

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Each visitor requires 2ghz of PHP and 32 CPU speeds per MB of SWAP networks.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It depends. Good caching and a CDN when only some pages are hard hit can take you to hundreds, possible more. But if they stay on the site and browse through, 1 GB is really low.
    I say start with 1 GB and go up as the needs arise, in this time you can also do optimizations.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @Arkas said:

@M2DEV said: I have 2 cars.

If the cars have Diesel engines, the answer is 1 minute 43 seconds, If Gasoline, 2 minutes 36 seconds.

If you count with napoleon childhood, then you ate exactly 6 and half tomatoes according to his biography

If not, then you ate 2.75 tomatoes

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@titaniumboy said:
    Suppose, A cPanel Shared Hosting with LiteSpeed Web Server and CloudLinux Installed and having 2GB RAM , 2MB/s I/O , 100% CPU in cPanel , Number of Process 100 , Entry Process 20 , IOPS 1024.

There is a VPS with
    1 core
    2gb ram

What 'core(s)', 26xx v2, Epyc, fastest available Xeon?
    What RAM, crappy slow DDR3, slow DDR4, fast DDR4?
    What storage, HDD, SSD, NVMe, slow or fast?
    MySql local or remote and/or shared connection(s), what bandwidth?
    What configs (LiteSpeed, PHP, MySql, ...)?

Without knowing all that my answer is '42'.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • lifehost360_comlifehost360_com Member, Host Rep

I´ve seen wordpress pages which used 64GByte of RAM for 1 single user.
    And I know about our site which runs on 8GByte of RAM serving several thousends concurrent users.

So... there´s no answer possible for your question. But you might use traffic generators to test pagespeed and maximum handles to be opened. a simple "curl" calling several thousnd times shall give you a rough estimate.
    But nothing is that unplannable like real visitors ;)