Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH, New Servers RISE, best choice???
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH, New Servers RISE, best choice???

juniorrrrrjuniorrrrr Member
edited October 2021 in General

I was hiring new servers for proxmox ( on OVH), this month I hire two RISE 3 (old - Xeon E5-1650v4, 128GB RAM, 2x 1.92NMVe), but yesterday it got out of line and frustrated the plans because I still need 3~4 servers.

Yesterday OVH changed the RISE line of servers, Xeon E5-1650v4 is discontinued, and now I'm in doubt which configuration to use.
The intention is to run proxmox, on it I will run approximately 30 VM KVM.

On E5-1650v4 I can do this easily.

My budget is limited on $160 USD per month/server, so I could use RISE 1 or RISE 2 (all with 128GB and 2x 1.92 NVMe) https://www.ovhcloud.com/en/bare-metal/rise/prices/

RISE 1 - Intel Xeon-E 2136 - 6c/ 12 t - 3.3GHz / 4.5GHz
RISE 2 - Intel Xeon-D 2141I - 8c/ 16 t - 2.2GHz / 3GHz

To performance equivalent E5-1650v4, which would be better to choose E 2136 or D 2141I?

Comments

• why u choise OVH?

i am runing similar hard

E5-2690x2 - 128 gb ram - 1 tb hdd - 30 vm - monthly paid 100$ usd ( ip includes )

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2021

OVH does not deserve to be in the same sentence with a word such as "best".

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • @malitoowned said:
    why u choise OVH?

i am runing similar hard

E5-2690x2 - 128 gb ram - 1 tb hdd - 30 vm - monthly paid 100$ usd ( ip includes )

I've been working with them since 2013

who provides this xeon 2690v2 for 100 USD?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • NicholasOXINicholasOXI Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

Hello, you're probably better off with a RISE-1 (also some times this may deploy with a 2236 from what the OVH website says) compared to a RISE-2 price to performance wise. However, there is some new servers coming to OVH's sub-brand SoYouStart soon (product codes are already active for them) including CPUs like EYPC 7351P (128GB/2x 500GB NVMe) for $100.00 (USD) a month or so; maybe worth waiting for them? Only thing is IP transfers is not possible from OVH to SYS in that order if you cared about that and they're not available yet but should be soon (product codes literally went live but no stock today and not shown fully on site yet).

• @NicholasOXI said:
    Hello, you're probably better off with a RISE-1 (also some times this may deploy with a 2236 from what the OVH website says) compared to a RISE-2 price to performance wise. However, there is some new servers coming to OVH's sub-brand SoYouStart soon (product codes are already active for them) including CPUs like EYPC 7351P (128GB/2x 500GB NVMe) for $100.00 (USD) a month or so; maybe worth waiting for them? Only thing is IP transfers is not possible from OVH to SYS in that order if you cared about that and they're not available yet but should be soon (product codes literally went live but no stock today and not shown fully on site yet).

7351P is much superior, I have two servers running virtualizor, with about 70VMs each without problems (with 256GB of RAM), but....

I don't think it would be SYS option for the following reasons.

1 - I need /26 IPv4 per server (30~40 VMs), above 16 has monthly cost
    2 - I need 2x 1.92 NVMe to make RAID 1, usage is 60~70%

I can't see how SYS could be a better option

• @juniorrrrr said:

@malitoowned said:
    why u choise OVH?

i am runing similar hard

look in @Ian_Dot_Tech they add some stock recently good prices and sure they can help u!

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/174841/massive-dedicated-server-restock-leveloneservers-dallas-tx#latest

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2021

@malitoowned said:

@juniorrrrr said:

@malitoowned said:
    why u choise OVH?

i am runing similar hard

look in @Ian_Dot_Tech they add some stock recently good prices and sure they can help u!

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/174841/massive-dedicated-server-restock-leveloneservers-dallas-tx#latest

Thanks for the tag!
    @juniorrrrr feel free to check out the link @malitoowned sent or check our servers here: https://billing.leveloneservers.com/store/enterprise-dedicated-servers

One of our systems that may interest you is:
    DS-67 | Dual E5-2680v3 | 2x 960GB SSD | 96GB
    96GB DDR4 RAM
    2x 960GB/ 1TB SSD storage
    1Gbps Uplink
    IPv4 /29 (5 usable IPs) + IPv6 /64 Subnet
    10TB Bandwidth
    Dallas, TX Location
    $94.99 USD/month
    https://billing.leveloneservers.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=138

• NicholasOXINicholasOXI Member, Host Rep

@juniorrrrr said:

@NicholasOXI said:

7351P is much superior, I have two servers running virtualizor, with about 70VMs each without problems (with 256GB of RAM), but....

Yeah, if you need that amount of IPv4 addresses makes sense. In that case, definitely a RISE-1 if you want to go 128GB memory wise; not sure what the issues apparently are stability wise with these CPUs compared to RISE-2 like mentioned above - never heard or had any issues on them also the CPU on the RISE-2 is just a bit too weak in my opinion for the price when compared to the E-2136/2236; otherwise what about a RISE-4 which makes mostly only sense at 256GB price wise and you've got a Epyc 7371? One of those is $269.59 a month or so and obviously you only need one and still have the Eypc?

• juniorrrrrjuniorrrrr Member
    edited October 2021

@NicholasOXI said:

@juniorrrrr said:

@NicholasOXI said:

Yeah, if you need that amount of IPv4 addresses makes sense. In that case, definitely a RISE-1 if you want to go 128GB memory wise; not sure what the issues apparently are stability wise with these CPUs compared to RISE-2 like mentioned above - never heard or had any issues on them also the CPU on the RISE-2 is just a bit too weak in my opinion for the price when compared to the E-2136/2236; otherwise what about a RISE-4 which makes mostly only sense at 256GB price wise and you've got a Epyc 7371? One of those is $269.59 a month or so and obviously you only need one and still have the Eypc?

The problem on EPYC is only storage, just 2x 1.92GB, so on E-2213 I have 2x1.92, If I use 60~70% of total (for $160), just one server with 2x 1.92GB it would not be possible.

Like a said, on E2213 I need run ~30VMs, if use EPYC, I would need run ~60VMs.

I have EPYC 7351P (old advance 4) with 2x 1.92 (RAID 0 - Crazy) and it's already queued to disable and go to cheaper servers with RAID 1

• @adwords whats with the bumb link man, thought this place was safe :expressionless:

• @guerrilla said:
    @adwords whats with the bumb link man, thought this place was safe :expressionless:

Poster's already banned, but that link should be scrubbed