Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox vs SolusVM vs Virtualizor vs ...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox vs SolusVM vs Virtualizor vs ...

Hello,

We can find here many providers that use different VPS control panels, some members test it all.

What CP provide you best experience?
What are main cons and pros?

SolusVM is half dead?

After reading this topic: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/133393/virtualizor-or-solusvm

Is out there something better than this 2?

I'am one of that people, we do not buy thing because we need it, we buy it because it is cheap.

I got one dedicated server, time to play with virtualization.

Comments

• TejyTejy Member
    edited October 2021

Proxmox, but there is a lack of billing modules (reliable and opensource).
    @ModulesGarden is offering a high-quality Proxmox module for WHMCS, but you will have to pay.
    There is no complete Proxmox module for Blesta, WiseCP, ClientExec.
    If you really don't care about billing/reselling/automatic delivery, go with Proxmox.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

Tried Virtualizor, SolusVM and Proxmox a few years back, decided to go with Proxmox.

Tried Virtualizor again this year, decided to stay with Proxmox.

I can do too many custom setups, routed networking, etc. with Proxmox easily but couldn't manage to work things out Virtualizor network bridge for custom setups. Virtualizor feels too antiquated.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Could add Fleio / https://fleio.com/ to the list too

The pricing model changed recently, it's now based off the total RAM of your setup, https://fleio.com/pricing

Thanked by 1smicroz
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

@SpeedBus said:

The pricing model changed recently, it's now based off the total RAM of your setup, https://fleio.com/pricing

OP got just 1 dedicated server as he said..
    So he may needs something one-click solution which doesn't require much resources or knowledge (except proxmox)

Fleio is a billing software which require to have openstack knowledge..

Otherwise Fleio is really great..

@Outdoor as @Tejy suggested, go with proxmox if you are not planning to use it for hosting business.

If you have a developer team then proxmox will also perform very well for production use with some tweaks..

Thanked by 1Tejy
  • OutdoorOutdoor Member
    edited October 2021

Thanks!

As it is not production, i will try Proxmox and Virtualizor.

And see what is better.

I don't think that i can't make money with this server, so no need for blesta, whmcs modules...

What you use for your vps's @ViridWeb ?

• Webmin

• friendhostingfriendhosting Member, Patron Provider

@Outdoor said:
    What you use for your vps?

Fastpanel, Hestia, ISPmanager 6

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@ViridWeb said:

@SpeedBus said:

OP got just 1 dedicated server as he said..
    So he may needs something one-click solution which doesn't require much resources or knowledge (except proxmox)

Fleio is a billing software which require to have openstack knowledge..

Otherwise Fleio is really great..

@Outdoor as @Tejy suggested, go with proxmox if you are not planning to use it for hosting business.

If you have a developer team then proxmox will also perform very well for production use with some tweaks..

ah yes thats right -- I missed reading that (1 server), in that case yep, Proxmox is pretty good. Super easy to start off with it and it's got a lot of nice features (snapshots?) etc too.

• key900key900 Member, Host Rep

Proxmox all the way!

• I'm a Proxmox fan too. It's powerful, but easy to use and getting started doesn't require much messing with settings. Community support is also quite good.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited October 2021

@Outdoor said:

SolusVM is half dead?

No. SolusVM is not dead.
    I am expecting a nice announcement in Q1 2022 actually... ;-)
    We are one of their larger users, and a little birdy tells me things.
    SolusVM is rock solid, and we have no reason to leave, unless prices were to massively increase.

~ SMARTHOST

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

ProxMox

Why proxmox?

• Easy customization
    • KSM sharing
    • zfs cache customization

No proxmox

• No cheap module for WHMCS
    • No module for blesta ,
    Thanked by 1Outdoor
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

@SmartHost said:

V2/solus.io cancelled and v1 will be the future development focus and get a few quality of life improvements?

IMO v2 is vapourware. I queried about features and pricing a while back and my conclusion was it's more expensive, isn't ready and might never be ready.

But, virtualizor isn't any better and you need to wrap proxmox with a user friendly frontend to make it workable; so despite the years of stagnation under onapp I think v1 is still in a good place. Plesk seem to be taking more of an interest which is good.

@Outdoor said:
    Thanks!

As it is not production, i will try Proxmox and Virtualizor.

And see what is better.

I don't think that i can't make money with this server, so no need for blesta, whmcs modules...

What you use for your vps's @ViridWeb ?

At Fiberia.io we are using Proxmox for production use.

• It look like most of community will chose Proxmox anytime.

Can you guy please tell me Proxmox downsides ( vs Virtualizor and SolusVM) ?
    As many providers still use them.

Billing systems are not important to me.

This is very nice form:

@Calin said:
    ProxMox

Why proxmox?

• Easy customization
    • KSM sharing

No proxmox

• No module for blesta ,

@Outdoor said:
    It look like most of community will chose Proxmox anytime.

Can you guy please tell me Proxmox downsides ( vs Virtualizor and SolusVM) ?
    As many providers still use them.

Billing systems are not important to me.

This is very nice form:

@Calin said:
    ProxMox

Why proxmox?

• Easy customization
    • KSM sharing

No proxmox

• No module for blesta ,

The main downside is the support..
    If you are new and have not much knowledge then you will face tough time if something breaks..

However Proxmox do have a large community but don't expect them to reply your thread instantly..

You have to buy their subscription to get support from their staff..

For virtualizor or SolusVM they are premium products which mean you will get direct support from them when you need.

• edited April 2023

@jackb said:

@SmartHost said:

V2/solus.io cancelled and v1 will be the future development focus and get a few quality of life improvements?

IMO v2 is vapourware. I queried about features and pricing a while back and my conclusion was it's more expensive, isn't ready and might never be ready.

But, virtualizor isn't any better and you need to wrap proxmox with a user friendly frontend to make it workable; so despite the years of stagnation under onapp I think v1 is still in a good place. Plesk seem to be taking more of an interest which is good.

This comment didn't age very well.

Biggest issue with ProxMox for me is the lack of WHMCS module and I don't want to pay ModulesGarden for an encoded module I can't modify. I have my own module I can modify for ProxMox but that's going to require some effort.

Anyone have any opinions on the ProxMox API? I need a good API with good documentation if I were to create my own WHMCS module for it.

Thanked by 2sasslik emgh
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@Calin said:
    ProxMox

Why proxmox?

• Easy customization
    • KSM sharing

No proxmox

• No module for blesta ,

https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Proxmox

• Virtualizor’s support is a joke. I asked them how many hypervisors can I run in their free trial license and it took a solid 5 minutes conversation to explain the support guy what a hypervisor is.

First they told me I can run unlimited VMs then I told them that’s not my question. Then they told me “I think you can run unlimited hypervisors” only to later tell me that I can only run one hypervisor in trial. I had to use every word that is used to describe a hypervisor such as node, slave etc until the guy gets it.

I don’t think a question can get any simpler than that yet they weren’t capable of answering it.

• BoltFlareBoltFlare Member, Host Rep

+1 for SolusVM

• Holy necro >:)

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

We were using virtualizor , they are unable to fix many known bugs & issues in their implementation.

switched to VirtFusion for new deployments and never looked back

Thanked by 1VirtFusion
  • edited April 2023

@Patriarch said:
    Holy necro >:)

I just did a google search for Proxmox vs Virtualizor and this thread came up. Conversation still looks relevant to me. I don't always look at the last post date before commenting. Should it matter if the conversation is still relevant?

• When I got into virtualization, I started with SolusVM, then migrated to Virtualizator, and appx 3 years ago moved to Proxmox, and it has been the best decision ever.

Few things about Proxmox:

• The magic really starts when you clustered Promox for single nodes, it doesn't matter which one you pick up, and all are about the same.
    • Even with the modulesgarden module price, Proxmox is still cheaper than SolusVM or Virtualizator ( depending on your number of nodes).

Just my 2 cents