Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIPE ASN and /48 IPV6 on a budget.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIPE ASN and /48 IPV6 on a budget.

Can any RIPE current LIRs provide me with an ASN and provider independant /48 of IPv6?

I'm pretty tight budgeted and inexperienced so anyone willing to throw some advice would also be appreciated.

Comments

• Seriously, what is the need for an ASN and PI ipv6?

• Multihoming my network and hoping to peer.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • It is recommended to use BuyVM ( @Francisco ), so you can get a Routed Prefix without your own ASN and use it for your own network (via L2/L3 tunnels).

Of course you can also use HE tunnel service, and of course I know there are many others who would like to provide tunnel services as well.

I think if you only need to have PA resources and ASN, I think $30-$50 / year is the minimum budget.

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

We could certainly assist if wanted, we include free BGP peering with our services too. Feel free to reach out, happy to discuss and help out.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
  • Thanked by 11nf
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2021

@carameldrop said:
    Can any RIPE current LIRs provide me with an ASN and provider independant /48 of IPv6?

I'm pretty tight budgeted and inexperienced so anyone willing to throw some advice would also be appreciated.

The > @carameldrop said:

Multihoming my network and hoping to peer.

May i ask what "your network" is? I have seen a few similar requests over the last few days. - If you think about multi-homing your "homelab" then most likely our residential ISP's will not give you a bgp session,...

So in a case like that, you end with two tunnels to providers (or vpn to vps/dedi you rent) where you can get bgp sessions. And yes, those tunnels would create overhead and add latency.

As far as Independent Resources IPv6 Resources are concerned. ... they will not go below a certain price-point as the LIR gets billed for sponsoring those.

You can (at the risk of renumbering at some point) get a /48 PA from a LIR. Function wise you will not see much difference if done correctly. (Done right, you can mostly self-manage with the exception of needing the LIR for RPKI/ROA Setup/Updates. It also binds you to the LIR, so you risk renumbering if you want to switch LIR's down the road.)

If you just want to play around a bit i suggest: https://evix.org/ and https://dn42.eu/
    this should not cost you anything.

Feel free to check out my [KB] covering some related topics as well.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Basically the most important information and facts have been mentioned.

You should ask yourself if renumbering your IPs upon cancellation of your leasing contract hurts you so much that it justifies the additional fees of PI space compared to PA. Especially if 'your network' is just a simple home lab.

I am an active LIR and LET member, so if there is any demand or real interest, feel free to get in touch with me. However if you just want to grab the cheapest ressources you'll find, it most certainly won't be me.

• Thanks for the responses, I've decided to go with @stratagem 's services.

@SGraf said: May i ask what "your network" is?

Cisco Catalyst 6000, couple of 2960s and 2800s, and 3 Dell PowerEdges, most of this sourced at little to no cost.

Currently, it is a home lab, but I'm hoping to as my budget grows expand into other POPs (already working with HE for a Full Cab, so multi-homing won't be an issue lol).

Thanked by 1stratagem