Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Rescue System
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Rescue System

Hello,

After requesting an upgrade to Hetzner 10gbps line, the server had to be physically moved and a new IP address was assigned (also a new NIC). The server ran Ubuntu but now was given to me after the upgrade on Rescue and it doesn't seem to get out of it.

The solutions I've thought about and tried are the following:
1) Mounting the drives which were setup on RAID 1, basically the following:
mount /dev/md2 /mnt;mount /dev/md1 /mnt/boot;

2) Checked the networking and found that the new IP is already configured on the server.

After confirming these two points, when I reboot the server it is still unreachable. Is there anything am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Request KVM and check what's the issue.

If there was no data, just re-install.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Perhaps network settings will have to be reconfigured following the NIC change (MAC address changed).

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • @Clouvider said:
    Perhaps network settings will have to be reconfigured following the NIC change (MAC address changed).

Any documentation would be helpful

Depending on the OS; There should be plenty in Google.

• AbdouSGAbdouSG Member
    edited October 2021

@Clouvider said:
    Depending on the OS; There should be plenty in Google.

Well I do have a background in networking, I can provide more information if you're willing to at guide me that would very appreciated.

Currently the interfaces have the following information:
    "IMAGE REMOVED"

In the system, they are configured as the following:
    "IMAGE REMOVED"

The routing is correctly setup and I don't think there is anything wrong with the configuration, could it not be a network problem?

ip -4 addr

^ will show you if the IP got configured - this is assuming you are in the live OS (not in the rescue)

• AbdouSGAbdouSG Member
    edited October 2021

@Clouvider said:
    ip -4 addr

^ will show you if the IP got configured - this is assuming you are in the live OS (not in the rescue)

Well I did get in the Ubuntu system via chroot, here is the IP configuration
    "IMAGE REMOVED"

Via chroot? So the actual running system is the rescue, is that correct?

If so, the output from ip -4 addr is from the rescue system, not from your OS.

• @Clouvider said:
    Via chroot? So the actual running system is the rescue, is that correct?

If so, the output from ip -4 addr is from the rescue system, not from your OS.

The actual running system is indeed Rescue, but chroot changes the environment to the old system which I'm running the commands on

• You need to look at /etc/netplan/*.yaml or /etc/network/interfaces for the config files. ip addr etc. don't show the config of how it will be applied at boot but how the kernel is configured right now which is the config of the rescue system.

• @babuum said:
    You need to look at /etc/netplan/*.yaml or /etc/network/interfaces for the config files. ip addr etc. don't show the config of how it will be applied at boot but how the kernel is configured right now which is the config of the rescue system.

this. also keep in mind, that the network cards device name could now be different.

as others said probably easier to request KVM access, which usually is free for an hour or two. you just need to wait for it but could then actually see message during boot-up and probably even fix it from the started live system

• @babuum said:
    You need to look at /etc/netplan/*.yaml or /etc/network/interfaces for the config files. ip addr etc. don't show the config of how it will be applied at boot but how the kernel is configured right now which is the config of the rescue system.

I just checked on it and you're right /etc/network/ is empty and no interface is configured on the system

• @AbdouSG said: /etc/network/

Ubuntu (more recent versions) more likely use netplan and not ifupdown, so that might be the wrong spot to look at ;-)

• edited October 2021

@AbdouSG said: The server ran Ubuntu but now was given to me after the upgrade on Rescue and it doesn't seem to get out of it.

I also had same experience, upgrading from 1gig to 10gig. The server was delivered with rescue mode, my old files are gone. Have you tried reinstall?

• @Falzo said:

@AbdouSG said: /etc/network/

Ubuntu (more recent versions) more likely use netplan and not ifupdown, so that might be the wrong spot to look at ;-)

Thanks for pointing this out, I changed the configuration and the server is now reachable. Was really helpful

@nanankcornering said:

@AbdouSG said: The server ran Ubuntu but now was given to me after the upgrade on Rescue and it doesn't seem to get out of it.

I also had same experience, upgrading from 1gig to 10gig. The server was delivered with rescue mode, my old files are gone. Have you tried reinstall?

I could have done a reinstall since I had everything backed up and It takes less time just to start from scratch then trying to figure out what's missing, it was the last solution to consider.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @nanankcornering said: The server was delivered with rescue mode, my old files are gone.

most likely your files were still there, but you did not understand the implications of a network card change on a dedicated server. of course with every OS you are running you need to adjust the settings and maybe even firmware. yet, Hetzner won't hold you hand over this, as it is your software running on that server and therefore your responsibility...

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Falzo said: most likely your files were still there, but you did not understand the implications of a network card change on a dedicated server.

yeah maybe, I didn't bother to check the drive contents & reconfigure NIC from netplan.

@Falzo said: as it is your software running on that server and therefore your responsibility...

ofcourse, i didn't blame hetzner here.

Thanked by 1Falzo