Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One decade of IPv6.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One decade of IPv6.

MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
edited October 2021 in General

This month I celebrated one decade since i got IPv6 from one of my providers in 2011. The other one still doesn't have it, on the other hand has been eaten by Orange also this month :P
And Orange still doesnt have IPv6 :p
Called experimental from day one, it worked flawlessly so far.

IPv6 at home.
  1. Does your home ISP have IPv6? Since when?125 votes
    1. Yes, since more than 3 years.
      33.60%
    2. Yes, since 1-3 years.
      15.20%
    3. Yes, only recently.
        5.60%
    4. Not yet.
      21.60%
    5. I've lost hope.
      24.00%

Comments

• Selling static IPs in my country is big business so I've lost all hope.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2021

I have expected to be worse, from what i am hearing around, the percent of ISP that added in the last year is also encouraging, given that many don't even think seriously about it lately.
    People would rather buy competitors and their ranges or purely ranges at huge prices rather than make the step and provide IPv6. I am waiting NAT-ed offers soon.

• mcgreemcgree Member
    edited October 2021

My ISP assigns me /64, and when I request it, can assign me /56, and even if the carrier doesn't assign it to you, you can use HE tunnel, even if you don't have a public address, you can make your VPS have address blocks first, and then bring it into your home via WireGuard.

• My ISP has 2003::/19 of IPv6,so...

• @edoarudo5 said:
    Selling static IPs in my country is big business so I've lost all hope.

That's a huge opportunity for market disruption.

• edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited October 2021

@TimboJones said:

@edoarudo5 said:
    Selling static IPs in my country is big business so I've lost all hope.

That's a huge opportunity for market disruption.

Yes... Previous school I worked for rents /29 with unmetered 200 mbps for around 4000 USD equivalent monthly, it's mostly expensive because of the /29 assignment and not because of the 200 mpbs unmetered (which is utter bullshit pricing regardless btw). I offered them a /24 for around 300 USD monthly but I don't really belong in their "circle" so they'd rather get services from where they can get a lot of kickbacks.

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

Residential ISP IPv6 rollout in the UK is around 50% at the moment.
    Virgin Media - the second largest ISP in the UK - still have not rolled out IPv6

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • I am lucky to be in (pretty much) the only ISP in my country -Spain- that provides native IPv6 connectivity. A /56 per household to be more precise.

The major ISPs (Telefónica/Orange/Vodafone) don't have any interest in adopting IPv6:

• Charging 15-25€ monthly for an static IPv4 address means free money
    • They have a lot of IPv4 addresses so there's no rush on getting IPv6 ready

That's why when you ask them about IPv6 they'll say "We are still in the testing phase" - for more than five years now

This also explains why we are still at 3.24% IPv6 adoption rate.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Well in India all mobile ISP has IPv6 / dualstack by default..
    But unfortunately most of the wired ISP only provide IPv4 even on fiber..

• I've been using IPv6 since 2015. Vivo (one of the largest internet providers in Brazil) started to allocate in 2013

edited October 2021

@Pixels said: This also explains why we are still at 3.24% IPv6 adoption rate.

I think google's statistics might be misleading because, for example, I disable IPv6 on many devices and mono-purpose machines as well as for family members which are not computer savvy. I have a complex firewall and filtering on ipv4 (mainly for android devices which might call home) and I am not willing to complicate my life replicating that on IPv6 for now.

• PixelsPixels Member
    edited October 2021

@Maounique said:

I think google's statistics might be misleading because, for example, I disable IPv6 on many devices and mono-purpose machines as well as for family members which are not computer savvy. I have a complex firewall and filtering on ipv4 (mainly for android devices which might call home) and I am not willing to complicate my life replicating that on IPv6 for now.

In fact, the non computer savvy users will be the ones that will hardly notice any difference. They might even come across speed/stability improvements where (CG-)NAT implementations are borked.

Are you filtering based on IPs instead of hostnames? I mean, you could probably use DNS for that. (ie Xiaomi devices not calling back home)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Maounique said:

Googles numbers are misleading because they're heavy mobile. Same with Facebook/twitter.

You want to know the real v6 uptick? Go check any major IX (AMS-IX, NYIIX, Seattle IX, etc) and see if they have protocol breakdowns. Both AMSIX & SIX show V6 at ~7% usage.

There's a very good chance that most of that is just google/CDN traffic anyway.

Actual V6 usage is probably like 1 - 2%.

Francisco

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
    edited October 2021

I am whitelisting ranges and countries, not blocking. It is a mess, I don't even remember what I did there 2-3 years ago, but it seems to be working, I see tons of blocked attempts to access various IPs when everyone sleeps.

@Francisco said: Both AMSIX & SIX show V6 at ~7% usage.

That might be because IPv4 is probably prioritized, not that IPv6 is not implemented. We talk ability to do native stack traffic, not the actual percent of the traffic that is over IPv6.
    Yes, people are very inventive at avoiding IPv6, it is same as with electric cars, countries are still subsidizing oil and coal to compete with renewables due to various reasons and misconceptions.
    The transition is already longer than anyone could have imagined, but it looks like will take 2 more decades until we will actually have a real switch.

• PixelsPixels Member
    edited October 2021

@Francisco said:

@Maounique said:

Googles numbers are misleading because they're heavy mobile. Same with Facebook/twitter.

You want to know the real v6 uptick? Go check any major IX (AMS-IX, NYIIX, Seattle IX, etc) and see if they have protocol breakdowns. Both AMSIX & SIX show V6 at ~7% usage.

Actual V6 usage is probably like 1 - 2%.

Francisco

And what is what most people use anyways? Google/YouTube/Netflix/CDN. Those are IPv6 capable.
    I agree with you but all I was talking about is end user experience here.

@Maounique said:
    I am whitelisting ranges and countries, not blocking. It is a mess, I don't even remember what I did there 2-3 years ago, but it seems to be working, I see tons of blocked attempts to access various IPs when everyone sleeps.

Well that really is a messed up system there. May I ask why did you setup something as restrictive as that? I am guessing it is a residential line/usage and not business. Genuinely curious.

edited October 2021

@Maounique said: The transition is already longer than anyone could have imagined, but it looks like will take 2 more decades until we will actually have a real switch.

Yep, even if you assume google's numbers are accurate at 30% adoption, and that the 5% increase stays linear, you're still 13 - 15 years out before there's enough adoption for people to single stack.

My predictions at this point is that we'll see /25's be allowed into the global routing table within the next 3 - 5 years, maybe even /26's, as a stop gap to IPV4 pricing. It wouldn't lower the per IP price, but it'd just mean people can buy less of it to get routing.

3M - 4M route table entries. Lord have mercy.

EDIT - I should add this /25 thing was brought up in an IRR (RIPE?) presentation in the past year or two so it's not a new idea.

Francisco

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2021

@Francisco said: Go check any major IX (AMS-IX, NYIIX, Seattle IX, etc) and see if they have protocol breakdowns. Both AMSIX & SIX show V6 at ~7% usage.

Nobody significant would access Google or CDNs via an IX, it's all private peerings. For IX traffic there's a chance it is indeed the "actual IPv6 usage" from the "long tail" of sources/destinations and protocols.

edited October 2021

@Francisco said: was brought up

I doubt it will pass. IRRs will resist if they are serious about IPv6. You want to avoid IPv6? Fine, pay for it through your nose.

@rm_ said: Nobody significant would access Google or CDNs via an IX, it's all private peerings. For IX traffic there's a chance it is indeed the "actual IPv6 usage" from the "long tail" of sources/destinations and protocols.

Google's been bumping up ports all over the place though. They now have 400gbit down on FLIX. Probably similar on NYIIX, I gotta check. Besides, once you get to a certain port with them they'll drop caching nodes into your facility.

Hell, I got an open claim for a caching node myself, I just haven't finished the paper work.

@Maounique said: I doubt it will pass. IRRs will resist if they are serious about IPv6. You want to avoid IPv6? Fine, pay for it through your nose.

>

The IRR's duty is to handle number allocations, that's it. They have no say in routing table planning, what size announcements get accepted into it, etc.

Do you really want ARIN/RIPE to have a political agenda on what they want to succeed? Sounds like a pretty good way to get voted out.

Francisco

• IPv6 sure is as mature as a ten year old

@Francisco said: The IRR's duty is to handle number allocations, that's it. They have no say in routing table planning, what size announcements get accepted into it, etc.

Yep, but there might be technical ways in which this can be put on the backburner if not shelved completely.