Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ Look for HE FMT 1-2Gbps 1U colo... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Look for HE FMT 1-2Gbps 1U colo...

2ยป

Comments

• I'd be surprised if anyone let you access their routers, even read only.

You may want to check out https://dn42.eu/ if you're just interested in learning and experimenting a bit more

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Not_Oles said:
    Looking for a server somewhere that I also can have at least read access to the routers plus ask questions and get good answers. I want to learn a little about routers.

Install Software for Open Networking in the Cloud (SONiC) on darkstar and you have a router.
    This ain't a Cisco but it feels like a router instead of a bunch of Linux programs.
    The same software can be deployed on router hardware at a fraction of Cisco's cost.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said: Install Software for Open Networking in the Cloud (SONiC) on darkstar and you have a router.

Thanks for your wonderful suggestion! I've already looked briefly at:

I will look some more! Maybe I will be able to put SONIC on Darkstar! :) That sure would be fun! :)

Thanks again @yoursunny ๐Ÿ’–

edited January 2022

@Peppery9 said:
    I'd be surprised if anyone let you access their routers, even read only.

We will see! :) Happily, there are many very kind people! :)

You may want to check out https://dn42.eu/ if you're just interested in learning and experimenting a bit more.

Thanks for this excellent suggestion! Another friend uses dn42 and offered to be my first peer! ๐Ÿ‘

Are you also on dn42?

Best wishes! โ€‹๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ’ปโ€‹

A little more on SONiC. In the links that I posted above it wasn't instantly and facially super obvious that there was an implementation for hardware without an ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) -- in other words, it wasn't instantly and facially super obvious how to make an ordinary server into a router with SONiC as @yoursunny was suggesting.

However, I did find a page on the SONiC wiki about SONiC on virtual machine for Windows. From this page I found the link to pre-built SONiC VS (Virtual Switch) images.

Next I found what seems like an "advertising blog" page with a simple description of using SONiC's VS images on what could be an ordinary server, computer, or laptop. This blog page includes helpful illustrations as well. Please see SONiC Network OS Configuration: Is It Easy?

Maybe I am going to try SONiC on Darkstar, my server in Dallas. Especially interesting aspects to me are that

• SONiC is mostly open source,

• It looks like there are both KVM and Docker SONiC VS pre-built images. Plus one also can compile, and

• it seems perhaps easy to move from a SONiC VS virtual switch to a real switch with a real ASIC while still running SONiC. For when I eventually get my cabinet at HE. :)

Of course, I'm also looking at dn42. That's another post. ๐Ÿ”œ

Best wishes and kindest regards! ๐Ÿ™Œ

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @doughnet said:
    Why HE specifically?

What about checking out aquanx? They are in Santa Clara, $39 month with power and 1gbit unmetered. Best bang for buck.

Do you have a contact or something I could reach them?
    Their website is 403 on https://www.aquanx.com/hosting.php , and haven't got any response after mailing [email protected] .

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Make an account and make a ticket.

https://user.aquanx.com/clientarea.php

They always respond to my tickets โ€ฆ never tried emailing them directly.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles