Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - Introduces Mac Mini M1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - Introduces Mac Mini M1

Comments

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited October 2021

Nickname tells for yourself.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2021

But why? I mean, I guess there is obviously a market for it if they're doing it, but what sort of things are running on Apple that you can't run on a Linux box? I haven't used an Apple device since an old G4 Mac so I'm really out of the loop when it comes to Apple stuff.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

• Personally, as a dev, I love to work on Mac due to various reasons(also personal ones).

• @MannDude said:
    But why? I mean, I guess there is obviously a market for it if they're doing it, but what sort of things are running on Apple that you can't run on a Linux box? I haven't used an Apple device since an old G4 Mac so I'm really out of the loop when it comes to Apple stuff.

xCode, ios app build

Thanked by 2default lentro
  • Scaleway seems has it for a while. But the price may higher.

• @MannDude said: But why? I mean, I guess there is obviously a market for it if they're doing it, but what sort of things are running on Apple that you can't run on a Linux box? I haven't used an Apple device since an old G4 Mac so I'm really out of the loop when it comes to Apple stuff.

Apple related dev work, such as running CI tests and "nightly" builds of iPhone/MacOS apps.

• @MannDude said:

i mean there is some arm based linux distro that can run on it (i think) and M1 gives good power for the price, also if you have good internet connection you can use a chromebook to access it as macos and turn it into a powerful one for remote work and accesibility,
    also when coding on it you wont have to worry about forgetting to save or internet go down in middle of you 100gb upload :v

(clicked save draft instead of post comment ;-; fml)

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Nice! Glad to see more players in this space.

• The important question is:

Do they charge tax for US customers ?

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited October 2021

@vyas11 said: The important question is:

Yes they do, and they start pipe into your root holes from next weeks.

• @vyas11 They do not.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

This is quite nice, I have used MacStadium in the past and they have been very good at it - but they have increased their prices recently.

These are actually fairly nice little machines and the monthly cost isn't too outrageous compared to other similar providers who do the same thing.

• @jenkki said:

@vyas11 said: The important question is:

Yes they do, and they start pipe into your root holes from next weeks.

68575772-C5-A7-4540-95-CB-9-A281-F1-AB6-EE

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • @vyas11 said: vyas

That your innocent desires.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Isn't it cheaper just to buy one, I mean over a year?

• @Arkas said:
    Isn't it cheaper just to buy one, I mean over a year?

yes, it is, as the same with every cloud provider (AWS, Azure, GCP...)

but you are missing colo, maintenance, electricity, networking... costs

and flexibility. today you need one, but month later you need 10s but maybe only for some short period of time

the age-old dilemma of rented cloud vs. owned on-premise

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I feel like Apple is going to sue these hosts for reasons one day.

• @deank said:

they would need to change TOSes first to disallow such usage (like nVidia disallowed using gamer cards in DCs https://digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-bans-consumer-gpus-in-data-centers/)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Which is easy for them to do.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@deank said:

It is specifically allowed in the macOS Big Sur (and above) EULA. Added fairly recently, so I think they are probably fine for now - and certainly with the latest version(s) of macOS.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOSBigSur.pdf (Section 3)

• NicholasOXINicholasOXI Member, Host Rep

Seems to be a lot coming to Hetzner - it's an interesting offer considering not many are doing this, especially also considering a US location seems to be not long away now. IPv4 addresses are assigned to their US ASN (https://bgp.he.net/AS213230) so they seem to be making some moves; just disappointing on their IP cost changes in a way.

• @Andrews said:

@deank said:

they would need to change TOSes first to disallow such usage (like nVidia disallowed using gamer cards in DCs https://digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-bans-consumer-gpus-in-data-centers/)

Currently running GTX1080s in hetzner now.. so that's against the TOS?

Have anyone tried video encoding/decoding using M1?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@nanankcornering said:

@Andrews said:

@deank said:

Currently running GTX1080s in hetzner now.. so that's against the TOS?

Have anyone tried video encoding/decoding using M1?

cuz they were laughed at and shuted the fuck up, plus you can really only add that in drivers, and open source drivers exist so it was pointless

• @MannDude said:

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

iOS dev, but it also opens it up to iMsg spamming.

• xyzxyz Member

Would be nice to see it in their Cloud offering (despite the required minimum 24 hour lease time Apple imposes).

Last time I checked, Scaleway's M1s were always out of stock.