Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does almost Shared Hosting haven't IPv6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why does almost Shared Hosting haven't IPv6?

I think it's even possible to have a separate IPv6 for each person, but I haven't come across any shared hostsing with IPv6.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2021

Because there's no one out there with internet access that can't reach ipv4. Setting aside people who intentionally break their v4 for fun. If you can do one thing that covers all, or two things that cover all + a portion of all, most are going to pick the one thing that covers all because the effort for the second is rewarded by nothing other than high fives.

The v4 apocalypse already happened, all the v6 fanboys told me so. No one told half of the world it seems, turns out it's hard to convince people that everything is broken when it still works fine.

• Azayaka_MiraiAzayaka_Mirai Member, Host Rep

It can bring extra trouble if shared hosting enables AAAA record for their domain - the end users may only have a link-local v6 address but their dns resolver may prefer IPv6. As a result, the end users will have a connection issue.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Azayaka_Mirai said:
    It can bring extra trouble if shared hosting enables AAAA record for their domain - the end users may only have a link-local v6 address but their dns resolver may prefer IPv6. As a result, the end users will have a connection issue.

That's not how it works, I'm afraid.

@WebHorizon provides Shared Hosting with IPv6 enabled.

Thanked by 2Pixels bulbasaur
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@brueggus said:

@Azayaka_Mirai said:

That's not how it works, I'm afraid.

@WebHorizon provides Shared Hosting with IPv6 enabled.

cPanel's V6 support is laughable.

There's no way to automate it at all (can't do it from CLI even), requiring manual intervention.

The records aren't cleaned up either when you move a user between hosts, so you can end up with a user moving between hosts/nodes/etc, and having AAAA records that point to the old IP still when the import is done.

DA handles it better with it possible to do a 1:1 'link' between a v4 & a v6, allowing for a 'v6 to cover all of a resellers users'. This is automatic and will apply for all old & new accounts/domains at once.

An address per user isn't available on DA, not sure DA gets enough demand to make that a thing given a user has to sit down and manually add all those IP's to the box. This would be a really bad idea anyway and just lead to blowing out neighbor discovery tables in switches/routers.

Francisco

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2021

@mcgree said:
    I think it's even possible to have a separate IPv6 for each person, but I haven't come across any shared hostsing with IPv6.

boomer.host shared hosting offers dedicated IPv6 per hosting account. I have already applied for RIPE membership then you I can offer it from a /32 block lol (2003:3412::3) etc

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @ezeth said:

@mcgree said:

boomer.host shared hosting offers dedicated IPv6 per hosting account. I have already applied for RIPE membership then you I can offer it from a /32 block lol (2003:3412::3) etc

I think for shared hosting you usually only need /64, or even just one address.

So I think /48 is sufficient.

• @MikePT at myw.pt also has IPv6 on their shared hosting.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

In NL this is deployed more broadly, because of the Dutch domain registry actively giving incentives (discounts) to registrars when they deploy eg V6, DNSSEC, DANE, etc.

It makes a lot of sense to push this from a registry level, in a market where saving the dime and passing on the discount to the customer can really make a difference.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@FrankZ said:
    @MikePT at myw.pt also has IPv6 on their shared hosting.

Yep, in all our infrastructure.
    IPv6 ftw!

Thanked by 2rcy026 Pixels
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@mcgree said:

Perhaps many hosts don't advertise this feature, but those, who offer dedicated IPs with shared hosting accounts in general, should be able to assign dedicated IPv6 as well.

I was keen on using IPv6 few years back, but since mail sent from IPv6 used to land in Gmail's SPAM (perhaps things have changed since), stopped experimenting with it. Still have IPv6 enabled by default for web hosting, except for sending mail.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Gmail accept mail from IPv6 now as long as it's setup correctly (ie rDNS, etc).

We give shared hosting clients access to IPv6 (from their own /64) but it's mostly handled manually. I think DA can do some automation if using separate IPv4 per account but not so with shared IPv4 across accounts.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited October 2021

@Mr_Tom said: Gmail accept mail from IPv6 now as long as it's setup correctly (ie rDNS, etc)

Do you have any links on that? I'm just asking because everytime I've tried (and I know it was correctly setup) the emails get rejected. This is just an example, I didn't make that post.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

@Arkas said: Do you have any links on that?

I just did a echo "test" |mail <my_gmail_address> and it got delivered over IPv6.

It did go into spam to be honest, but this was from a machine that doesn't do email so no SPF/DKIM/etc setup, but it certainly wasn't rejected.

• @Arkas said:
    Do you have any links on that? I'm just asking because everytime I've tried (and I know it was correctly setup) the emails get rejected. This is just an example, I didn't make that post.

I have a few icinga and nagios installations that send reports to a gmail address, and when I check the headers those mails have been delivered over IPv6 for atleast 6 months (did not have any mails older than that).
    No config at all have been done, mail is sent using local cli and all machines have correct reverse dns.