Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Silly question from newbie moving from Digital Ocean to LET - LXC or KVM hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Silly question from newbie moving from Digital Ocean to LET - LXC or KVM hosting?

Dear all,

Forgive me posting such trivial question.
I'm currently using Digital Ocean and have created 3 droplets just running pihole, syncthing..and other for learning linux stuff.

In Digital Ocean, I create each droplet for a particular OS, so I have one Ubuntu, one Debian 10 and one CentOS. From the forum I see vps hosting company provide LXC / KVM (or both) , so my question is, which kind of hosting should I choose?
If I choose LXC, does it means I need to purchase separate plan for each instance , or if I choose KVM (which cost a little bit more) , I can create VM for each OS on the same VPS which I just to purchase one plan.

Thanks so much for your advice

Zhao

Comments

• Here are your choices:

• lXC - Shared Kernel Containerized Environment
    • OVZ - Shared Kernel Environement. Can be nested containerized using lateset versions.
    • KVM - Dedicated Kernal Envrionment. Can be nested containerized using any version.
  • Get the KVM, you can then create as many LXC or even OVZ as you like.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I highly recommend that you take your migration from DigitalOcean to LET very slowly. LET can be a very complex platform to host on, and you don't keep control of your content. You have no guarantees of uptime or that the content will even remain online.

• Thanks @devp
    does it means I can run multiple container (with different linux distro) in a single LXC hosting plan?

• Azayaka_MiraiAzayaka_Mirai Member, Host Rep

@oldzhao said:
    Thanks @devp
    does it means I can run multiple container (with different linux distro) in a single LXC hosting plan?

Not likely if you want different kernel versions.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited October 2021

@jar said:
    I highly recommend that you take your migration from DigitalOcean to LET very slowly. LET can be a very complex platform to host on, and you don't keep control of your content. You have no guarantees of uptime or that the content will even remain online.

This.

In addition, you may run into random cluster issues, your polls may break for unknown reasons and you may even be unable to upload your content if Cloudflare decides it may be malicious.

Thanked by 2jar bulbasaur
  • devpdevp Member
    edited October 2021

@jar said: I highly recommend that you take your migration from DigitalOcean to LET very slowly. LET can be a very complex platform to host on, and you don't keep control of your content. You have no guarantees of uptime or that the content will even remain online.

With provider and reputable service as @jar we can manage that.

• if you dont mind your garden being looked at from time to time, i know the perfect cloud provider.

Thanked by 2yoursunny bulbasaur
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

When in doubt, go for KVM.
    KVM gives you a full virtual machine with its own kernel and userspace.
    You'll be able to use it directly or create containers within.

Both OpenVZ and LXC have all kinds of restrictions on containerization and networking.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Always go for KVM.

If you don't need the features KVM offers you in comparison to containers and/or you wanna save money, go for containers.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@jar said:

Yea don't buy anything you see, it could be a trap.
    Read the reviews and do your due diligence.

Thanked by 1devp
  • thanks so much you all, I will stick to KVM then, any suggestions about hosting company would be appreciated.

• devpdevp Member
    edited October 2021

@oldzhao said:
    thanks so much you all, I will stick to KVM then, any suggestions about hosting company would be appreciated.

You can visit multiple discussion threads here at LET and choose based on your preferred parameters.