Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean $100 free credit policy is just bullshit - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean $100 free credit policy is just bullshit

2»

Comments

• By reading this comment, both you and a random sh$t each waiving the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action or to sniff/eat the said sh$t

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Person 1 wants you to be careful about who you let on your network and how much you let them use before building a relationship. Person 2 thinks you're a selfish prick for not letting anyone in the door to do as much as they want, when they want. Person 3 thinks person 1 and 2 should be locked in a room together.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Lee said: Hardly, I am sure given it links the free credit to their terms that it will have something buried in there.

"Something buried in there" is not good enough, and again, not acceptable in most countries where misleading advertising is concerned, and again for good reason. Meaningful limitations or caveats need to be stated clearly and upfront.

I don't know the exact situation in this specific case, so I can't judge that. But people here are certainly a bit too fast on the trigger in this case in defending the provider.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2021

@joepie91 said: "Something buried in there" is not good enough, and again, not acceptable in most countries where misleading advertising is concerned, and again for good reason. Meaningful limitations or caveats need to be stated clearly and upfront.

Oh, feck off with that BS. It's LET, the provider land of either No terms or we don't give a fuck what our terms say unless it suits us. But that is ok except when it is big business.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2021

@joepie91 said:

@Lee said: Hardly, I am sure given it links the free credit to their terms that it will have something buried in there.

"Something buried in there" is not good enough, and again, not acceptable in most countries where misleading advertising is concerned, and again for good reason. Meaningful limitations or caveats need to be stated clearly and upfront.

I don't know the exact situation in this specific case, so I can't judge that. But people here are certainly a bit too fast on the trigger in this case in defending the provider.

Probably just left hand not knowing what right hand is doing. Marketing and abuse teams rarely work together in any organization. One tries to get more people in, the other tries to stop a bunch of people from coming back and doing what they were before.

Thanked by 2TimboJones bulbasaur
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@AXYZE We have a similar policy with IWStack, but the reason is slightly different.
    The CloudStack API is exposed and people can run various scripts to increase capacity by spinning more or upgrade capacity for instances in case of demand, but in various situations either because of attacks or because the script loops, it could allocate all available resources so we have a default limit of 20 VMs, IPs, volumes, etc.
    People can ask for the limits raised within reason, of course.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • I don't get it, all OP had to do to clear up the situation was create a support ticket. I don't get the urge to use LET to stir the pot when you should exhaust all communication options with your provider first.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Some do this in a faint hope that the host will bend over and agree to whatever they demand.

This actually used to work when most hosts were directly present on LET. Now that LET has started to fade away, this rarely works nowadays.

• People are getting worked up over their supposed right to use credit they're handed in X, Y and Z ways. None bothered asking if he had reached out to support.

These limitations are common amongst many large providers. All it takes is...speaking to them.

• @Voss said:
    None bothered asking if he had reached out to support.

Probably because the OP already said he did

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@vedran said: Probably because the OP already said he did

And TL;DR crowd probably doesn't know the situation was also solved by support :P

Thanked by 1vedran
  • I bet OP didn't list a company name.

• dnetworkdnetwork Member, LIR

Anyone can think about it

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

1 is technically "up to 10". seems legit to me.