Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server recommendation with 64 ddr3 DIMMs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server recommendation with 64 ddr3 DIMMs

CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

hello everyone, a few days ago I managed to get 640 GB ram ddr3 at an auction on ebay for $ 600

I want to know if you have any idea of ​​some server models that have 64 dimms, I am interested in as many cores and as little power as possible to consume

My DIMMs have the following specifications

40 x 16 GB Ram ddr3 PC8500R Samsung

Thanks for help!

Comments

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

Dell R820 with the extra CPU tray gives a ton of DIMM slots, supports four CPUs of varying core/thread counts, etc...and your DDR PC8500R.

~ SMARTHOST

• DDR3 for such huge price... High clock ddr4 would be much cheaper and less required. Stop buying ancient hardware. There will be no ROI in that.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • Most I've seen was 3DPC on DDR3 CPU's such as the E5-2600/2600v2 which are quad channel, providing a grand total of 12 DIMM's per CPU. The R820 and 920's are quad socket, but all only provide 48 DIMM's. The DL980G7 on the other hand has 128 DIMMs (8 CPU's) but iirc, they prefer PC3L (1.35V)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@LTniger said:
    DDR3 for such huge price... High clock ddr4 would be much cheaper and less required. Stop buying ancient hardware. There will be no ROI in that.

If you see a place that sells 16GB DDR4 dimms at 15$, let me know.

• @AlexBarakov said:

@LTniger said:
    DDR3 for such huge price... High clock ddr4 would be much cheaper and less required. Stop buying ancient hardware. There will be no ROI in that.

I have few dimms in my basement. But you must take them your-self... For free.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@LTniger said:

@AlexBarakov said:

@LTniger said:

I have few dimms in my basement. But you must take them your-self... For free.

Nah, I'm good, was asking for a friend.

• Adding RAM increases your power consumption significantly. Reduce your RAM down to 64MB for maximum power efficiency.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@dahartigan said:
    Adding RAM increases your power consumption significantly. Reduce your RAM down to 64MB for maximum power efficiency.

yeah, just increase swap size and reduce ram dimms

Thanked by 1dahartigan