Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's are some good resources to learn BGP by doing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's are some good resources to learn BGP by doing?

bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
edited October 2021 in Help

I do have a basic understanding of the protocol, and I know that there are network topology emulators such as GNS3 which I could use for this purpose; what I'm looking for is something that shows how it works at a more practical level, router commands to get a small network working, and so on.

Thanked by 1bdl

Comments

• bdlbdl Member

Join FB's NetOps team :)

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Personally I am a massive fan of learning by doing. That coupled with YouTube videos for more introductory level information on topics. In this case BGP

Learning “a set of commands” for router X (every vendor might be doing something different btw) is good and useful but not everything.

I know others would say the same. Try learning by doing on https://dn42.eu/Home or similar. Great place to start and if you’re feeling overwhelmed by the terminology or what the specific are take those to do extra reading or YouTube videos on that specific (BGP related) topic

• @Zappie said: Learning “a set of commands” for router X (every vendor might be doing something different btw) is good and useful but not everything.

True, but you need to start somewhere and having a set of commands and some instructions are useful; in the same way that to learn programming you would also have to learn a programming language, even though the concepts of programming aren't specific to any given language.

Thanked by 1Zappie
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

@stevewatson301 said:

@Zappie said: Learning “a set of commands” for router X (every vendor might be doing something different btw) is good and useful but not everything.

True, but you need to start somewhere and having a set of commands and some instructions are useful; in the same way that to learn programming you would also have to learn a programming language, even though the concepts of programming aren't specific to any given language.

Agreed. Anyways, other suggestions would be the slightly scary docs for for the router venders (again I would default to YouTube videos of “how to set up bgp session” type of thing) as starting point

Thanked by 1bulbasaur