Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reliable host that does offer to choose between versions of hardened php of CloudLinux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any reliable host that does offer to choose between versions of hardened php of CloudLinux?

ronn22ronn22 Member
edited October 2021 in General

Recently I came to know about CloudLinux from a very helpful and useful thread and thought of trying CloudLinux at least experimentally.

However, - none of these sites at https://www.cloudlinux.com/partners/ seem to provide the "hardened php" that CloudLinux describes: "Several highly popular versions of PHP, used in nearly 85% of all PHP sites, are unsupported by the PHP.net community. HardenedPHP secures old and unsupported versions of PHP – 4.4.9, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2."

Those web-hosts who do have CloudLinux mostly has LSAPI as a PHP selector BUT NOT the php selector of CloudLinux or let me choose between the various versions of "hardened php"
For example, in the Cpanel demo of these sites or FEATURE/PRICE list do not have any mention of hardened php - BTW is there any way to know from phpinfo() if its a hardened php 5x version? Any screenshot of how the CloudLinux php selector looks (if there is one such)?

So basically the bulletpoints are

• is there an easy way to choose between "hardened" php versions as in Cpanel hosts via a (control/admin) panel selector? (any screenshot link?)
  • how do I know it is hardened php indeed, for example any specific word or key word in phpinfo() (any screenshot link?)
  • long-time reliable webhosts that offer the above?

If any of the learned and respected members here have any list or clue about a reliable host that does offer to choose between versions of hardened php VIA a managed (control) panel, I will be thankful.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2021

After using CL PHP for years I removed them all and went back to the cP EA managed PHP versions. From my own experience, the integration is buggy, unreliable, and a headache for a host. Taking the time to remove them all and switch back was one of the best thing I've done this year. I'm sure there are others who love it and haven't had any problems though. I'd say just run your own in a VPS, especially if you need an unsupported EOL PHP version.

Thanked by 2ronn22 bruh21
  • ronn22ronn22 Member
    edited October 2021

Thanks @MikeA

• what is EA managed PHP?
    • how did you remove (how/why did you install and how/why did you remove for example what types of bugs were happening - did those bugs stopped or crashed a website ...)
    • I am not a command line expert and installing EOL PHP not easy (or impossible) for me
    • Not finding any long time reliable web host that will enthusiastically do so (EOL PHP installation) for me - but this by default is offered in CloudLinux (is not it so?)
    • Even if the above is done will it be a "hardened" version that CloudLinux assures?

Answering above may be unnecessarily time consuming so please feel free to ignore as you have already answered very helpfully. BTW any answer to the first two of three bullet-point questions in the opening post will be much appreciated.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

@ronn22 said:

• is there an easy way to choose between "hardened" php versions as in Cpanel hosts via a (control/admin) panel selector? (any screenshot link?)

Here is a screenshot of what our clients can see inside their cpanel (all the available php versions we offer and they can choose among them).

Thanked by 1ronn22
  • @NetDynamics24 hello and thanks. This is what I also get in any cPanel without CloudLinux && "hardened php". I was specifically wanting to know how the CloudLinux PHP selector looks and what specific words/keyword/info in the phpinfo() which ensures that it is "hardened" php indeed and not ordinary php. Thanks a lot for your valued input & screenshots.

edited October 2021

@ronn22 said:
    This is what I also get in any cPanel without CloudLinux && "hardened php". I was specifically wanting to know how the CloudLinux PHP selector looks and what specific words/keyword/info in the phpinfo() which ensures that it is "hardened" php indeed and not ordinary php. Thanks a lot for your valued input & screenshots.

Inside cpanel, there are two icons for php selection:
    1. MultiPHPManager (this is the default from cpanel)
    2. Select PHP version (this is from cloudlinux)

Thanked by 1ronn22
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

Cloudlinux implements hardened PHP.
    It is also available with all of our Web Hosting plans.

Thanked by 1ronn22
  • @NetDynamics24 - huge thanks. That was the screenshot I was looking for. It is really helpful to understand. Additionally does the phpinfo() page contains any words to identify this as "hardened php" as provided by ClouldLinux?? ??
    Thanks @WebHorizon - looking there for the above info. Thanks.

@ronn22 said:
    Additionally does the phpinfo() page contains any words to identify this as "hardened php" as provided by ClouldLinux??

If it mentions "ea-php56" then it is cpanel default version. But if it says "alt-php56" then it is Cloudlinux.

Thanked by 2Abd ronn22
  • ronn22ronn22 Member
    edited October 2021

@NetDynamics24 - you are a genius! That is a gem of an information. I searched the CloudLinux site itself and asked their support but they could not provide any satisfactory answer. Now I know that "if it says "alt-php56" then it is Cloudlinux." Thanks.

Sorry for being naive/dummy/pest, whatever you may prefer to call me :smile: - it is possible again to post a screenshot that shows "alt-php56" -it is in the phpinfo() accessible via web, right ? Many thanks again.

PS : is it like this

edited October 2021

@ronn22 said:
    it is possible again to post a screenshot that shows "alt-php56" -**it is in the phpinfo() accessible via web, right ?

Here is an example:

https://prnt.sc/1w8qnly

Thanked by 1ronn22
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2021

AFAIK, the latest EasyApache4 doesn't allow many of the older PHP versions eg. 5.3.29, so I needed to install Cloudlinux. Once this is installed, then I can select ea-php5.3 (and PHP-FPM) - go figure. :s Have I got it wrong? Given that I already used su_php/mod_sec et al, then it's quite an added expense, for relatively small scale hosting.

Thanked by 1ronn22
  • DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited October 2021

@ronn22 said:
    reliable host that does offer to choose between versions of hardened php VIA a managed (control) panel, I will be thankful.

HawkHost.
    I'm with them since 2009 (hope that is long-time enough) and did not see a webhost with better (uptime&speed)/price ratio.

Both PHP options (alt-php and ea-php) are available and go from PHP 4.4 to PHP 8.0. As you see in the screenshot below I also need this feature and immensely enjoy the fact that it's available in Cloud Linux.

Here's a screenshot from from their control panel (MultiPHP Manager aka CloudLinux PHP selector):
    Hardened PHP CloudLinux version selector - HawkHost

Thanked by 1ronn22
  • friendhostingfriendhosting Member, Patron Provider

We are using LSAPI. How does he not suit you?

• @DataRecovery - many thanks for the screenshot and the very helpful suggestions. I followed your link and found that Hawkhost has Litespeed & CloudLinux Enabled by default - if CloudLinux is already enabled I was just curious to know how normal php 5x versions ( = non-hardened) be provided ?? This is because once CloudLinux is there, it sort of "allows" only hardened php, as per what the CloudLinux team says.

I am asking this as NOW I find that CloudLinux php 5x (hardened) will not allow one or two running features in my website - while the non-hardened php 5x will do. But as we all know normal, non-hardened php 5x is either no longer supported or will not be supported post-2021 / 22. Thus CloudLinux's guarantee to carry on php 5x or even 4x for eternity is a good option when one must use php 5x even if a small feature does not run and thus not kill old "heritage" sites, for which updatings are impossible.

The other option which I was suggested in the other thread was to install php5x from scratch in non-CloudLinux server - this would be non-hardened and thus no bugs resulting from "hardening" would occur - this I understand can be done via VPS root access. Here there are two issues for me

• will they allow me to run php5x indefinitely (non CloudLinux php)
    • will "managed" vps staff install it for me
    • will there be supporting OS indefinitely or if not there such OS can also be installed via VPS or Ded/Cloud

Thanks again at @DataRecovery @NetDynamics24 and all others for all the valuable inputs.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited October 2021

I think Racknerd (and few other hosts) has this cPanel php + cloudlinx php (both options)
    actually for novice users, its quite confusing EA Php, alt php, and then php for domain, and php for folder, etc.

But if you are not comfortable use only cPanel php settings.

@NetDynamics24 said: Inside cpanel, there are two icons for php selection: 1. MultiPHPManager (this is the default from cpanel) 2. Select PHP version (this is from cloudlinux)

Yup, exactly! Hosts should include this two lines in their knowledgebase/ help guides.

Thanked by 1ronn22
  • you're disgusting if you want to use suchs old versions of php :P