Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Traffic/Bandwidth Limits with Proxmox VE 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Traffic/Bandwidth Limits with Proxmox VE 7

Hello :)

Recently I've installed Proxmox on my local "to be bullied" server.
Been messing around with it and virtualization a lot, so far liking what Proxmox has to offer.

One thing which I didn't notice at all was bandwidth limits, like in SolusVM for example.
Not talking about rate limiting to a specific speed, but more of setting a bandwidth limit as in 20TB/mo. etc.

Browsing trough their forums and other places I could find, last mention of this or something similar was in 2012 where a developer(?) said that it might get implemented in the future but no-one is working on it atm.

Has anyone figured out how to do this?
Any plugins around for this or such?
Even if its something DIWhy with lots of commands to be executed and that could potentially break something, still, has anyone figured it out at least in that way?
Or is it even possible without proprietary scripts constantly monitoring and adjusting limits?

I'm really curious on this topic as I'm seeing Proxmox used in quite a few places.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• @AleksaDjordjic said:
    Hello :)

Recently I've installed Proxmox on my local "to be bullied" server.
    Been messing around with it and virtualization a lot, so far liking what Proxmox has to offer.

One thing which I didn't notice at all was bandwidth limits, like in SolusVM for example.
    Not talking about rate limiting to a specific speed, but more of setting a bandwidth limit as in 20TB/mo. etc.

Browsing trough their forums and other places I could find, last mention of this or something similar was in 2012 where a developer(?) said that it might get implemented in the future but no-one is working on it atm.

Has anyone figured out how to do this?
    Any plugins around for this or such?
    Even if its something DIWhy with lots of commands to be executed and that could potentially break something, still, has anyone figured it out at least in that way?
    Or is it even possible without proprietary scripts constantly monitoring and adjusting limits?

I'm really curious on this topic as I'm seeing Proxmox used in quite a few places.

Thank you in advance!

It's not really a feature of Proxmox's underlying QEMU/LXC either.

The function of monthly allowances is a billing concept and is usually handled by WHMCS/Blesta/etc not the hypervisor as such.

I hope that helps!

Thanked by 2devp AleksaDjordjic
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2021

Yes, you need an external accounting/limitation.
    Some billing panels have proxmox modules which can suspend when some traffic limit has been reached, even if not, you can use some hooks and have some crons running to check. You can also run some router VM which can prioritize and do traffic shaping, for example. Unless you need Gbps traffic and really complicated rules, it wont need much resources.

Thanked by 2devp AleksaDjordjic
  • Makes sense, thanks for the answers.

I'm curious enough to continue messing with Proxmox, I think that I'd like to make something like this:

@Maounique said:
    Yes, you need an external accounting/limitation.
    you can use some hooks and have some crons running to check.

I'll see if Proxmox has some monitoring API, which I'm guessing it should, and will try to make something that will monitor this stuff in C#.

Only thing left is to check if these limits are applied realtime or does the VM/CT need to be restarted.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

The limits are applied live, traffic is shaped externally, i.e. outside the container.
    However, i have found the proxmox tools blunt, I think you would have a much better granularity with a router VM.

Thanked by 1AleksaDjordjic