Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner begins to charge tax for US clients? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner begins to charge tax for US clients?

Comments

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

@jenkki said:

@raindog308 said: No, you can't legally commit fraud in Delaware which is what you're implying.

No, I don't commit fraud or implying. Just talking about a facts.
    Why many hosting companies went to register their business in US when even never physically visiting country of registration.

Show me the section of the Delaware incorporation law which mentions that physical presence is necessary to register a company, please? Goes back to my previous statement- if you have a problem with your laws, talk to your representatives, make them change it.

Make sounds bigger or still under colonization with no national pride?

Actually that question goes back to you- most of F-500 the major American companies are foreign owned or managed. Or they do not pay the due taxes in the US. Or have moved headquarters outside the US. Or they have moved manufacturing to other countries. Even nearly 1/3 of the national debt is foreign owned. No national pride? Points to ponder. Caio.

--> singled out to the individual who raised the point of national pride. Not generalizing for most folks who seem .. fair!

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

Intent behind posting the below post was not to beat a dead horse. Interestingly enough, either Pocket (Mozilla) tracked this conversation and my posts, or just a coincidence- I am seeing a lot of posts about tax / incorporation / ease of doing business in my pocket RSS feed.

Another US State is now a tax haven : South Dakota. Apparently a good place to hide money and save on tax. Rivalling Cayman Islands and Switzerland. (and Nevada and Delaware)

Who's in: Ecuadoran President Guillermo Lasso, Chinese real-estate billionaire billionaire Sun Hongbin, and dozens of other high-profile tax optimizers — both foreigners and Americans —are sheltering their assets in South Dakota.

By the numbers: A decade ago, South Dakotan trust companies held $57 billion in assets. The current figure is about $360 billion — with similar trusts in other states bringing the total for the U.S. close to $1 trillion.

“South Dakota offers the best privacy and asset protection laws in the country, and possibly in the world," tax expert Harvey Bezozi told the Guardian.

https://www.axios.com/south-dakota-global-tax-haven-5120d206-20ab-4cc1-ba91-d1d59fe22487.html

• @vyas11 said: Show me the section of the Delaware incorporation law which mentions that physical presence is necessary to register a company, please?

No need stuck to Delaware. I was talking about other things. Did you even read? Delaware state admins can do everything they want. No questions to them., Just few sarcastic entries. You just talking too much for nothing.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

Bringing in colonialism and colonists (sarcasm intended) is not Sarcasm. And you brought that element in. I can write twice as fast as you can read. Without typos. So no need to worry about my writing.

No need stuck to Delaware

Ah ! A racist bigot who writes butler English and that sentence of yours is an insult to the fine profession of butlers btw.

• @vyas11 said: My butler speaks and write better English than your butler english, Mr.I am from Former colony myself. Bloody racist bigot

Вася не пизди.

• Baie dankie vir jou kommentaar

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@jar said: Hopefully tomorrow they'll let me know who thinks they're in what house and why. Stay tuned for the details ❤️

Hey @jar! Did you hear back from Hetzner? Thanks!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2021

@Not_Oles said:

@jar said: Hopefully tomorrow they'll let me know who thinks they're in what house and why. Stay tuned for the details ❤️

Hey @jar! Did you hear back from Hetzner? Thanks!

Not at all yet, and I find this rather concerning. They used flawed language to tell me that on an unspecified date I'll be charged an unspecified amount. I've got two servers migrating to OVH, who responded to me about a complex platform issue in under 4 hours. More to follow every day they don't reply.

Hetzner is feeling very anti business customer right now. OVH seems actually interested in getting my business and willing to talk about it. How quickly they respond dictates how much business they lose right now, and the content of their response dictates how quickly they lose the rest.

I understand low cost and low man power, but they had every chance to review that email before they sent it.

Thanked by 2w_ho_ami adly

@jar said: Not at all yet, and I find this rather concerning.

Interesting!

They used flawed language to tell me that on an unspecified date I'll be charged an unspecified amount.

Yeah, I didn't understand that email! After a whole day of confusion I finally wondered whether what they might be asking for could be tax exemption certificates issued to charitable entities not subject to tax.

they had every chance to review that email before they sent it.

If I had the chance I'd vote for Katie to be the CEO of Hetzner's American subsidiary. All Hetzner emails would be clearly understandable! A great sense of humor would be included! Everybody in the US would be lining up to become a Hetzner customer! Amazon, Google Cloud, Microsoft, Oracle -- all of them would have to step aside. :) :) :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • I know a lot of businesses that don't have a nexus/point of presence in Texas but still charge sales tax here, even though the requirement is $500,000 a year (& no limit on transactions).

I suppose Hetzner probably does this amount of business w/ Texas, but just sayin' ..

(most companies selling to EU customers are "supposed" to collect VAT, but most don't, unless they have EU location, presumably -- I think the amounts are much lower than this $500,000 from Texas ... talking like $50,000 or so.... re; "... U.S. supplier has nonbusiness customers in multiple European member states, it would have an obligation to register and charge VAT in each of those European member states if the value of services provided is above the VAT registration threshold in the applicable European member state.")

• @Not_Oles said: If I had the chance I'd vote for Katie to be the CEO of Hetzner's American subsidiary.

Suggest you get married with Katie and she may take taxes direct from your pocket. :blush:

• Ukrainian girls very pleasant. But you need provide her a running horse and burning village house in advance.
    Beware: If you hide your pocket she send your personal data to her mom collectors agency. And her mom start inspect your bad ass every morning when you wake up and every evening when you going to sleep. :blush:

• @jenkki said:
    Ukrainian girls very pleasant. But you need provide her a running horse and burning village house in advance.
    Beware: If you hide your pocket she send your personal data to her mom collectors agency. And her mom start inspect your bad ass every morning when you wake up and every evening when you going to sleep. :blush:

With the way you're writing you'll soon be qualified to join Hostloc to talk about anorectal diseases.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @stevewatson301 said: With the way you're writing you'll soon be qualified to join Hostloc to talk about anorectal diseases.

Initial proctology is your specialty is not mine :smiley:

Email that used language which made it impossible to interpret without additional information sent Monday. Reply sent same day. No word from Hetzner by Saturday night.

8 server cancellation notices filed.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles adly

@jar said:
    Email that used language which made it impossible to interpret without additional information sent Monday. Reply sent same day. No word from Hetzner by Saturday night.

Amazing that there was no reply!

Thanked by 2jar adly
  • @jar said:

Out of curiosity, what provider are you going to use for the replacement servers?

@quicksilver03 said:

@jar said:

Out of curiosity, what provider are you going to use for the replacement servers?

OVH. First deployment in Canada was a success. This will hopefully be the last move before owned hardware.

Thanked by 2quicksilver03 adly
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@jar said:

@quicksilver03 said:

@jar said:

OVH. First deployment in Canada was a success. This will hopefully be the last move before owned hardware.

then owned datacenter?

Thanked by 2jar Not_Oles

@skorupion said:

@jar said:

@quicksilver03 said:

@jar said:

then owned datacenter?

Get far enough into tech and you still end up as an air conditioner repairman.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host
    edited October 2021

Hello, just to clarify a few questions here: the mailing from last week was only sent to select customers in the US. The collection of sales tax only applies to the customers who received this mailing. If you have any questions regarding the mailing, it is best to contact our accounting department directly via one of our user interfaces: either konsoleh, CloudConsole or Robot depending on what product you have or via our support form. This way your questions can be answered quickly and according to your specific case.

Thanked by 1sunnyg
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    Hello, just to clarify a few questions here: the mailing from last week was only sent to select customers in the US. The collection of sales tax only applies to the customers who received this mailing. If you have any questions regarding the mailing, it is best to contact our accounting department directly via one of our user interfaces: either konsoleh, CloudConsole or Robot depending on what product you have or via our support form. This way your questions can be answered quickly and according to your specific case.

hmm, this comment/answer does not seem to be satisfying enough for what has been brought up as concerns here. it rather seems you're trying to avoid to go deeper into the terms used or not. Depending on who of you wrote (Katie?) I'd expect at least some knowledge of US regulations and terms in that regard ;-) ;-)

also @jar above pointed out, that he already tried to contact your support, just as you suggested, but did not get too far with his efforts seeking clarification.
    would be good if you at least could let us know, if this is about charging european/german VAT or rather local US sales taxes. your comment again suggests the latter, but still...

edited October 2021

As far as I know, my colleagues from the accounting department have already answered various tickets on the subject in the past week. They will also be happy to answer any further questions you may have. It is difficult for us as employees of the marketing department to provide qualified support here. Taxes are a complicated topic (as this thread shows ;) ).

The mailing is about the local US sales tax, which is also paid in the USA.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@Hetzner_OL said: Hello, just to clarify a few questions here: the mailing from last week was only sent to select customers in the US.

Why? Just collecting from bigger businesses or those who get invoiced a certain amount or greater?

• friendhostingfriendhosting Member, Patron Provider

Has anyone received detailed comments from Hetzner?

edited October 2021

@MannDude said:
    Why? Just collecting from bigger businesses or those who get invoiced a certain amount or greater?

No, it is not a question of demanding taxes only from large businesses. Every state in the U.S. has its own sales tax laws, which we also have to comply with. Therefore, we must now charge sales tax to customers located in certain states. Only these customers were notified by us in the mailing.
    More detailed information can be provided by my colleagues in accounting. It is difficult for me to give general answers here.

Thanked by 2MannDude tux
  • friendhostingfriendhosting Member, Patron Provider

@Hetzner_OL If this is not a secret, how do you determine the actual location of the client? Let's say a US customer can indicate that he is from Brazil. How do you check this?

@friendhosting said:
    @Hetzner_OL If this is not a secret, how do you determine the actual location of the client? Let's say a US customer can indicate that he is from Brazil. How do you check this?

It is not about the place where the customer is currently located but about where his business is registered.

• @Hetzner_OL said: The mailing is about the local US sales tax, which is also paid in the USA.

thanks, this at least is a clear statement and verifies again that this is nothing to do about VAT.

using the term GST in the initial mailing lead to quite some confusion here, because it seems that it's nothing people in US would use, when referring to their local sales taxes (see the discussion on the first two pages).

@Hetzner_OL said: Every state in the U.S. has its own sales tax laws, which we also have to comply with. Therefore, we must now charge sales tax to customers located in certain states. Only these customers were notified by us in the mailing.

that's what has been assumed earlier as well and again raises the question, why starting with it only now - incorporating/expanding into the US much, aren't you? ;-)

while I agree that marketing should be very careful, when it comes to communication about taxes and legal stuff, it definitely would be marketing deps job to avoid confusion in the first place and make better plans to take opportunity of such changes.
    not to lose but rather nurture existing clients - breaks the marketeers part of my heart to see what's been wasted here.

@Falzo said:
    using the term GST in the initial mailing lead to quite some confusion here, because it seems that it's nothing people in US would use, when referring to their local sales taxes (see the discussion on the first two pages).

Yes you are right the term GST was used incorrectly here and has led to confusion. I am very sorry for that!