Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KS-01 available! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KS-01 available!

2»

Comments

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited October 2021

@Neoon said:
    Also, OVH is famous for its fucked cache setups, doing this that way, may tell you its out of stock when its not.

Probably missing something, since I haven't interactive with KS/OVH but why would it? The KS website doesn't directly serve the API endpoint for the stock (read: they're not reverse proxying into OVH's API), it makes the browser directly request to ws.ovh.com.

If there was a server-side cache fuckup what difference does it make if it gets requested from a headless Chromium session vs requesting it directly? You'd get stale replies either way.

EDIT: If you're talking about client-side caching, I get that how it could happen since browsers should respect caching header directives but the endpoint has Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, max-age=0

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@jmgcaguicla said:

@Neoon said:
    Also, OVH is famous for its fucked cache setups, doing this that way, may tell you its out of stock when its not.

Probably missing something, since I haven't interactive with KS/OVH but why would it? The KS website doesn't directly serve the API endpoint for the stock (read: they're not reverse proxying into OVH's API), it makes the browser directly request to ws.ovh.com.

If there was a server-side cache fuckup what difference does it make if it gets requested from a headless Chromium session vs requesting it directly? You'd get stale replies either way.

EDIT: If you're talking about client-side caching, I get that how it could happen since browsers should respect caching header directives but the endpoint has Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, max-age=0

Of runs different regional stock api's, they return different result depending on which API you ask. The bug is known, as of my now, its not fixed as far as I know.

For example, the CA API may say a specific kimsufi server is in stock, but the EU / FR API may say its not. They should all be synced, but they are not.

That's that.

The websites are cached, if you are unlucky, you hit a broken cache, you can switch the browser or press F5, won't do shit if you hitting the same cache.

If you don't check all possible API endpoints, you are out of luck.

Thanked by 1jmgcaguicla
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited October 2021

@Neoon said:
    Of runs different regional stock api's, they return different result depending on which API you ask.

That was the bit I was missing, didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited October 2021

@TerokNor said:

You are the reason why machines will torture us when they revolt.

Lol. Sure an existing API (which I never searched for) will be much better of course. Least cost computing practice..

In fact I think the best way to get that dedi is a real browser macro which will also click that button and take you at least to the next screen (assuming they hold the dedi for several minutes to let you fill the forms) and then send the notification so you can continue manually through VNC or something.
    Should be easy to make

• Still waiting for deployment, anyone get theirs yet?

Thanked by 1chedenaz
  • What do people actually use these old machines for? For $5/m you can get a VPS from Wishosting with similar specs but better equipment: 2GB ECC RAM, 500GB HDD RAID-5, and a more powerful CPU (Xeon or Opteron) with unlimited CPU usage (they may throttle during very high load, but you won't be suspended for using 100% CPU).

Thanked by 2sgheghele kevertje
  • @Daniel15 said:
    What do people actually use these old machines for? For $5/m you can get a VPS from Wishosting with similar specs but better equipment: 2GB ECC RAM, 500GB HDD RAID-5, and a more powerful CPU (Xeon or Opteron) with unlimited CPU usage (they may throttle during very high load, but you won't be suspended for using 100% CPU).

I use these so I don't have to worry about if my lab experiment goes crazy and starts eating CPU, IO and RAM.

If it's slow that's fine, it just means that I have time to read the output of an apt upgrade or something.

Thanked by 1chedenaz
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited October 2021

@Daniel15 said:
    What do people actually use these old machines for? For $5/m you can get a VPS from Wishosting with similar specs but better equipment: 2GB ECC RAM, 500GB HDD RAID-5, and a more powerful CPU (Xeon or Opteron) with unlimited CPU usage (they may throttle during very high load, but you won't be suspended for using 100% CPU).

They make good email servers - unlike a VPS disk encryption can’t be easily bypassed by the provider, not much performance needed, and in my experience the IP reputation is good (or at least better than it used to be)

Thanked by 2chedenaz Daniel15
  • KS1 are good to use for test labs or a backup servers.

Thanked by 2chedenaz Daniel15
  • Still waiting for deployment lol

Thanked by 1chedenaz
  • @dahartigan said:
    Still waiting for deployment lol

ovh can be kinda fucky sometimes where they oversell availability

Thanked by 2dahartigan chedenaz
  • @SirFoxy said:

@dahartigan said:
    Still waiting for deployment lol

ovh can be kinda fucky sometimes where they oversell availability

lol great