Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Custom Hosting | KVM | Canada | 256MB = 15/yr | 4GB = 21/qtr | 2GB = 7/mth | Native IPv6 | No BS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Custom Hosting | KVM | Canada | 256MB = 15/yr | 4GB = 21/qtr | 2GB = 7/mth | Native IPv6 | No BS

Comments

• @xphones said:
    @ lukasubo, you are not alone.. :D

I've Just press cancellation request button and wait refund as they promised

The routing tutorial in their KB isn't exactly the greatest... Also, someone who is good with bash could probably write a script to do that automatically in 5 minutes... I feel your pain.

• lukasubolukasubo Member
    edited November 2013

@Inglar said:
    This is working IPv4 config here for Debian:

auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
       iface eth0 inet static
        address [your IP address]
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

post-up route add [your Gateway IP] dev eth0
        post-up route add default gw [your Gateway IP]
        post-down route del [your Gateway IP] dev eth0
        post-down route del default gw [your Gateway IP]

Hesitating on wether or not I should risk $21...

• DHCP is also an option for some operating systems...

This was removed from the KB article because people would just try DHCP and ticket and say it doesn't work. That's what "option for some operating systems" means... Some do not respect the routes being set via DHCP. Those that do work wonderfully. Those that do not, need to use the static setup, which is more correct in terms of dedicated hosting.

• I don't have vps with My Custom Hosting, but something like that should work. If somebody could test it and report any issues it would be great. I'm assuming that setting IP and Netmask happens during installation and only the proper routing is missing.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited November 2013

@dannix said:
    I don't have vps with My Custom Hosting, but something like that should work. If somebody could test it and report any issues it would be great. I'm assuming that setting IP and Netmask happens during installation and only the proper routing is missing.

Your assumptions were correct. I have PM'd you here also. This is awesome! :D

May I take and modify this a tad, just to add a few ranges. Will also get this tested, personally, and added to the KB.

• MCHPhil said: May I take and modify this a tad, just to add a few ranges. Will also get this tested, personally, and added to the KB.

Feel free.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • Only thing I can see this isn't doing is commenting the gateway line on Debian OS's. This can cause confusion when setting the gateway via the route commands.

That would need to be done manually.

• I will look into it and build it into the script.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • dannixdannix Member
    edited November 2013

After having look at it (thanks to MCHPhil for vps) I've modified it so it also work if there is an IPv6 block in /etc/network/interfaces on debian. Instead of appending as suggested first I'm replacing the gateway line for IPv4 with new post-up/post-down lines. This does both (removes the gateway line and sets up route properly)

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2013

@dannix - kudos

@MCHPhil - edit: removed to avoid conflict

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

I am looking into ways to integrate the script with our templates to completely alleviate the need to run the script at all. It will run once on boot and be deleted.

In the coming days I will also be implementing a CPU abuse script to automatically keep any CPU abuse in check. CA-VPS3 has been my development environment for this project and things are working smooth!

PS: To give you an idea, we have very little abuse. The script has at one time limited 4 VPS. So I expect very few people to even notice it.

Edit 2 (I think): The following OS templates are completed and automated!

CentOS 6.4 x86 Minimal

I will be updating this list as I complete the templates.

• @Inglar:
    I also can't get my network working with the article from the KB so for testing purposes I used the template for Debian 7 i386 minimal and edited the /etc/config/interfaces file exactly like yours (of course with the proper gateway ip from the KB) and the network still doesn't work.
    Is there anything else to do after reinstalling the VPS via SolusVM and choosing the Debian template?

@MCHPhil
    For me it's the same like for @lukasubo.
    I bought the VPS after reading the thread from the previous offer and after signing up I carefully read the instructions from the email and the KB. It didn't work with CentOS so I tried it with Debian. It also didn't work and I saw the config from Inglar and the exact copy (with my gateway ip) of that also didn't make it work.
    I'm not expecting any management of my VPS from you but when things are not working after exactly following the instructions then something must be wrong and saying that the network doesn't have issues doesn't solve anything for me as a customer.
    It's strange that there are quite a few people who tried to set up their network config and didn't get it working. It's highly unlikely that none of us managed to follow the instructions properly.
    My VPS is on node CA-VPS2 if that matters and I can't even ping my gateway after setting it up according to the KB.

I think it would be helpful for your some of your new customers if you just deployed a new VPS, used one of your templates and followed exactly the instructions from the KB.
    If the network is working then I'm definitely not made for using it.

No offence meant in any way.

Cheers

• MCHPhil
    For me it's the same like for lukasubo.
    I bought the VPS after reading the thread from the previous offer and after signing up I carefully read the instructions from the email and the KB. It didn't work with CentOS so I tried it with Debian. It also didn't work and I saw the config from Inglar and the exact copy (with my gateway ip) of that also didn't make it work.
    I'm not expecting any management of my VPS from you but when things are not working after exactly following the instructions then something must be wrong and saying that the network doesn't have issues doesn't solve anything for me as a customer.
    It's strange that there are quite a few people who tried to set up their network config and didn't get it working. It's highly unlikely that none of us managed to follow the instructions properly.
    My VPS is on node CA-VPS2 if that matters and I can't even ping my gateway after setting it up according to the KB.

I think it would be helpful for your some of your new customers if you just deployed a new VPS, used one of your templates and followed exactly the instructions from the KB.
    If the network is working then I'm definitely not made for using it.

No offence meant in any way.

Cheers

I have 100's of VPS deployed in Canada that were able to follow the instructions :/ Just wait until I finish the templates or use the CentOS 6.4 x86 template.

• x0x said: and the network still doesn't work.

Can you clarify a little? Does ifconfig not list the interface? Can you not ping the gateway? Can you not ping an external IP? Do you not have DNS?

I got it working post-install fairly easily. I couldn't for the life of me get the Debian 7 x86_64 netinstall to behave, but afterwards, the /etc/network/interfaces posted further up the thread worked a treat. To get DNS up, I also added nameservers to /etc/resolv.conf but I'm not sure if that's totally necessary.

• @MrDOS said:
    I got it working post-install fairly easily. I couldn't for the life of me get the Debian 7 x86_64 netinstall to behave, but afterwards, the /etc/network/interfaces posted further up the thread worked a treat. To get DNS up, I also added nameservers to /etc/resolv.conf but I'm not sure if that's totally necessary.

This is the first I have heard of not having DNS resolvers setup correctly. I wonder if this was a one off issue. Can anyone else comment about having this issue?

Personally for the nodes, I use 8.26.56.26 and 8.20.247.20.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2013

@x0x - Feel free to PM me your IP, user name, and password and I will fix it for you if you wish.

EDIT: I am not trying to be Phil's help desk

Thanked by 2MCHPhil x0x
  • MCHPhil said: I wonder if this was a one off issue.

It might have been because I forgot the dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 line. I can't really check now because I rebuilt the machine – accidentally picked 32-bit on the first try – and on the second try, I just took both approaches to be on the safe side.

• @MCHPhil I was having the idea of modyfing the script so it does not need the IP. It will detect it from the settings and run on first boot reconfigure network an destroy itself.

This should help you a lot if you add it to your templates.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

@FrankZ said:
    x0x - Feel free to PM me your IP, user name, and password and I will fix it for you if you wish.

EDIT: I am not trying to be Phil's help desk

Most definitely not, sorry it seems some people tried to use you for that.

I feel I need to remind everyone this is a budget service. I am one man. Working on 10+ templates. Be patient.

@dannix said:
    MCHPhil I was having the idea of modyfing the script so it does not need the IP. It will detect it from the settings and run on first boot reconfigure network an destroy itself.

This should help you a lot if you add it to your templates.

This is exactly what I have done! :D The updated script can be found here -> http://pastebin.com/3JXbfg2U

Thank you again for the original script!

CentOS 6.4 templates are done, I need to sync them to all the nodes still. CA-VPS4 is only node with the template.

CentOS 6.3 is legacy and will not be updated at this time. Template may be removed in lieu of full ISO. This will require manual route setup.

Debian 6 is being worked on as I type this. 7 will follow.

I will sync the 6 templates that are complete at this time.

Ubuntu will follow tomorrow.

Right now I am taking a pie break.

• MorningIrisMorningIris Member
    edited December 2013

@MCHPhil I feel your pain...:)

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • Templates for CentOS 6.4, Debian 6 and 7 are syncing at this time. This should complete in the next 15-30 minutes. Customers will be able to use them at this time. Others to follow.

• @MrDOS said:
    Can you clarify a little? Does ifconfig not list the interface? Can you not ping the gateway? Can you not ping an external IP? Do you not have DNS?

Thanks for your response. To clarify:

• ifconfig did list the eth0 interface
    • pinging the gateway resulted in: packets were transmitted, but 0 received, so 100% packet loss.
    • pinging external IP (i. e. 8.8.8.8) resulted in the same
    • DNS were configured from SolusVM (8.26.56.26 and 8.20.247.20)

@FrankZ: Thanks for your kind offer.

@MCHPhil said:
    I have 100's of VPS deployed in Canada that were able to follow the instructions :/ Just wait until I finish the templates or use the CentOS 6.4 x86 template.

Thanks for your efforts!

• InglarInglar Member
    edited December 2013

@x0x said:
    Inglar:
    I also can't get my network working with the article from the KB so for testing purposes I used the template for Debian 7 i386 minimal and edited the /etc/config/interfaces file exactly like yours (of course with the proper gateway ip from the KB) and the network still doesn't work.
    Is there anything else to do after reinstalling the VPS via SolusVM and choosing the Debian template?

As I recall, nothing more special, it was about two months ago for me.
    Maybe just reboot your vps.

Sorry if this still doesn't help you: (

P.S. Just noticed, you say 'edited /etc/config/interfaces' instead of the /etc/network/interfaces, typo?

• At this point, I'd just suggest any one fighting with it to use one of the templates that comes pre-configured with the help of dannix's script! :D

• @MCHPhil said:
    At this point, I'd just suggest any one fighting with it to use one of the templates that comes pre-configured with the help of dannix's script! :D

Now would you be OK with me purchasing one of these deals?

• Are you ok with the original terms expressed? I have extended a refund once. I do not do so twice. This is the only reason I wouldn't want you as a customer... I don't care to have you in a situation where you will be upset with the service provided and request a refund. If this makes sense. :P

• lukasubolukasubo Member
    edited December 2013

@MCHPhil said:
    Are you ok with the original terms expressed? I have extended a refund once. I do not do so twice. This is the only reason I wouldn't want you as a customer... I don't care to have you in a situation where you will be upset with the service provided and request a refund. If this makes sense. :P

I won't need a refund if:

1. You allow Minecraft servers.
    2. The script works.

Is this the case?

Also, what CPU does the server use?

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

@lukasubo said:
    Also, what CPU does the server use?

1) We do, we also automatically cpulimit any VPS hogging CPU. As it is shared, this is the only fair option.
    2) The script works with all the distro's I've integrated it with at this time that includes, Centos 6, Debian 6 and Debian 7. Ubuntu will follow later today and few misc other distro's.

I use an E5-1650 in Canada.

Edit: We still have some stock on the 4GB offer! Get them while they last!

• x0xx0x Member
    edited December 2013

@lukasubo said:

1. The script works.

Is this the case?

@MCHPhil: I'm thankful for your efforts with the templates but unfortunately I have to tell you that I still have 100% packet loss when pinging my gateway after reinstalling the CentOS 6.4 i386 template.
    See, there is nothing that I can do wrong now because it should work out of the box with the script. But it still doesn't. So it must be another problem. Please check my ticket I opened where I attached a screenshot of the routes and the ifconfig.

I'm writing this here for the only reason to be fair to lukasubo.

Thanks

P. S. @Inglar: Yes, '/etc/config/interfaces' was a typo ;-)

• @x0x said:
    I'm writing this here for the only reason to be fair to lukasubo.

Thanks!