Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp apps crash throughout the world
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp apps crash throughout the world

farsighterfarsighter Member
edited October 2021 in Outages

Facebook Inc's suite of apps, including popular photo-sharing platform Instagram and messaging app WhatsApp, were down for tens of thousands of users, according to outage tracking website Downdetector.com.
Shortly after the crash, user reports indicated that Amazon Web, Google and Twitter were experiencing issues as well

Is it the great reset?

Comments

• tinyweaseltinyweasel Member
    edited October 2021

Yes, all hail Cyber Polygon. Thank you Xi jinping for routing traffic through great beautiful China!

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  br_cm4500.net.blinn.edu [10.24.1.1]
      2     3 ms     3 ms     2 ms  10.254.254.6
      3     3 ms     2 ms     2 ms  50.21.248.1
      4     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  208.76.224.190
      5     4 ms     4 ms     4 ms  74.200.180.146
      6    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  74.200.180.190
      7    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  74.200.180.209
      8    11 ms    11 ms    25 ms  et-2-0-25-399.cr7-dal3.ip4.gtt.net [209.120.144.245]
      9    10 ms    11 ms    11 ms  ae11.cr8-dal3.ip4.gtt.net [213.200.115.30]
     10    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  ip4.gtt.net [209.120.152.154]
     11   206 ms   206 ms   206 ms  if-ae-43-2.tcore2.dt8-dallas.as6453.net [66.110.57.23]
     12   206 ms   224 ms   205 ms  if-ae-34-2.tcore1.lvw-losangeles.as6453.net [66.110.57.21]
     13   205 ms   204 ms     *     if-ae-2-2.tcore2.lvw-losangeles.as6453.net [66.110.59.2]
     14   142 ms   143 ms   141 ms  if-et-20-2.hcore2.kv8-chiba.as6453.net [64.86.252.217]
     15   148 ms   148 ms   157 ms  if-et-1-2.hcore1.kv8-chiba.as6453.net [120.29.211.2]
     16   199 ms   198 ms   198 ms  if-ae-16-2.tcore1.hk2-hongkong.as6453.net [116.0.67.33]
     17   213 ms   196 ms   195 ms  180.87.112.122
     18   196 ms   196 ms   195 ms  129.134.50.217
     19   196 ms   195 ms   196 ms  173.252.67.213
     20   196 ms   196 ms   196 ms  31.13.75.35

• nfnnfn Veteran

I'm lost >:)

• gappergapper Member
    edited October 2021

i heard that they recently migrated to @cociu 's servers and got backups with @ezeth

• @tinyweasel has launched this attack from his datacenter

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

• @farsighter said: datacenter

If you count a hetzner dedi, a home rack, and some VPSes in the cloud. Germany is coming online soon, same with the UnderServer site, I will say.

• rafaelscsrafaelscs Member
    edited October 2021

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint ariq01
  • Someone just misconfigured something somewhere.

• Seem DNS issues.
    @Daniel15 Do you have any new update?

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • Oh dear, how sad, nevermind. >:)

• cmeerwcmeerw Member
    edited October 2021

Routing issues resulting in the DNS servers being unreachable (both IPv4 and IPv6)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2021

I'm proposing it's deeper: https://downdetector.com/

Everything across the board, same spikes. A lot of it is because of Facebook, example "Verizon is down I can't load Facebook." But AWS is right there too, and my cable and LTE were as good as down for a bit. There's either a lot of simultaneous disconnected events today or a theme.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2021

Facebook made news yesterday with things like this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/facebook-whistleblower-60-minutes-interview-frances-haugen-says-the-company-prioritized-profit-over-public-good/ar-AAP6A1a

Was a pretty big story. Curious if these two events are related.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

@jar said:

Everything across the board, same spikes. A lot of it is because of Facebook, example "Verizon is down I can't load Facebook." But AWS is right there too, and my cable and LTE were as good as down for a bit. There's either a lot of simultaneous disconnected events today or a theme.

Anecdotal but I'm seeing packet loss from NodePing US to EU. Can't repro ourselves though.

Something big is broken somewhere I think.

• @hanoi said:
    Seem DNS issues.
    @Daniel15 Do you have any new update?

lol I can't even do any work at the moment because all the internal tools are down too. Corporate VPN is down so I can't access my dev server. I can't even do more project planning work as I can't access the FB Google Docs instance because the SSO server is down. It's 11 AM here so I guess it's just time to go back to sleep.

edited October 2021

@jackb said:

@jar said:

Anecdotal but I'm seeing packet loss from NodePing US to EU. Can't repro ourselves though.

Something big is broken somewhere I think.

I was thinking maybe Xiden tripped over Obama's internet kill switch.

I had packet loss even to 8.8.8.8 and couldn't trace it to anything in between.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • Telegram still up :smiley:

Thanked by 1farsighter

@jenkki said:
    Telegram still up :smiley:

So is Signal, Discord, I2PChat, IRC, email, SMS and other forms of communication.

Reading reddit comments and it's shocking how many people have all their eggs in a basket though. Seeing comments like, "I can't use FB messenger and I can't use WhatsApp, how am I supposed to order food?" and "I only talk to my grandma on Facebook"

Like, I don't know... Pick up the phone?

• @MannDude said: I can't use FB messenger and I can't use WhatsApp, how am I supposed to order food?

They are poisoned people minds.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

The world needs a break from FB anyway!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2021

Some peace of "cloud" made by humans died and took all shit associated with it.
    On Twitter you can even find reports, that dns resolvers got killed because FB died.

Nothing to see here.
    But I am still waiting for the next big Cloudflare outage, going to be on your tables soonTM.

Thanked by 1vyas11

@oplink said:
    The world needs a break from FB anyway!

I just took a drive. It's their duty to now display ads for me based on the conversations we had on the drive home. I don't know how to exist without Facebook reminding me that they're watching even my dreams.

• To expand upon @deank 's saying: The end is neigh, (has arrived.)

• It's been going on for almost 3 hours now. Seems really serious.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Their services down in UK, tried several online providers including VPN.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2021

@MannDude said: Like, I don't know... Pick up the phone?

In some countries, FB Messenger is by far the most popular messaging app. For example, in Australia, MSN Messenger easily had 90%+ market share back when it existed, and people mainly migrated to Facebook Messenger once MSN was shut down:

https://lb-aps-frontend.statista.com/forecasts/1187986/messenger-usage-by-brand-in-australia

Not sure about others, but I only have a few phone numbers in my address book. I don't even have phone numbers for a lot of people.

Thanked by 1MannDude

@Daniel15 said:

@MannDude said: Like, I don't know... Pick up the phone?

In some countries, FB Messenger is by far the most popular messaging app. For example, in Australia:

https://lb-aps-frontend.statista.com/forecasts/1187986/messenger-usage-by-brand-in-australia

Not sure about others, but I only have a few phone numbers in my address book. I don't even have phone numbers for a lot of people.

Woah, that is so bizarre to me. It's a relatively small sample size though. Shockingly it says the age group is 16-64, so I'd like to see a better breakdown of the demographics of who uses what but can't be bothered enough to look it up.

• @gooliver said: It's been going on for almost 3 hours now. Seems really serious.

FBI will loose millions per hour. That really serious.

• @MannDude said: It's a relatively small sample size though.

Yeah :/ Unfortunately all these studies have pretty small sample sizes. I'm from Australia but live in the USA now, and literally everyone I know in Australia uses Messenger.

https://www.similarweb.com/apps/top/google/store-rank/au/communication/top-free/ data correlates with this data though - It shows Messenger as #2 usage rank for communication apps in Australia, and #4 for all Google Play apps (Google app is #1, Facebook is #2, Chrome is #3, Messenger is #4).

@Daniel15 said: literally everyone I know in Australia uses Messenger

They let you use messenger in jail now? That's cool.

Ok sorry, first and last Australia joke.

Thanked by 2Daniel15 equalz