Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Budget-Dedicated Servers Discussion Thread
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Budget-Dedicated Servers Discussion Thread

Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

Over my long period of being on this forum, I have seen many people ask for budget-dedicated servers.
In terms of this discussion, I will say the budget is $25 or less.
What matters most to you?

CPU cores/threads
CPU Benchmark
DDR2/3/4?
Drive space?
NVMe, SSD, Sata HDD?
network speed?

Additionally, what is your ideal dream spec budget-dedicated server and price?
(be realistic please)

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

cpu benchmark
    network at least 250mbps for most uses

a good spec would be an e3 or an x5650 (or similar)
    16gb ram
    1tb hdd or 120gb ssd in raid1
    250-500mbs port
    bw at least 10tb

oneprovider has this spec (when it's in stock) for under 25, but obviously it might be a bit wishful
    sys also has this for 24 euro if you use checkservers.ovh, with 3x2tb hdd

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I've found memory to be the fastest limiter for budget servers for my personal toys. But that's usually because I'm stacking docker containers and running game servers, etc.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Skylake i5, 4 cores, hyperthreading disabled
    16GB RAM
    240GB SSD (single disk)
    IPv4 NAT, IPv6 routed /64
    200Mbps bandwidth, 20TB monthly transfer
    Serial access included
    $19/month

• tinyweaseltinyweasel Member
    edited October 2021

Just give me a god damn dedicated server (I'm serious, so, if you can, give me an offer) that isn't by a provider that wants ID verification, with the following specifications:

• 16GB of DDR3/DDR2 RAM
    • 4 CPU cores (xeon would be idea)
    • At least 3TB of bandwidth, monthly
      Monthly cost: under/equal to $27 USD

Edit: and yes, I am seriously considering coloing some old shitbox because no one seems to want to do this, or by the time I'm done reading their TOS, they're sold out (looking at you, OVH)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@tinyweasel said:
    Just give me a god damn dedicated server that isn't by a provider that wants ID verification, with the following specifications:

• 16GB of DDR3/DDR2 RAM

Edit: and yes, I am seriously considering coloing some old shitbox because no one seems to want to do this, or by the time I'm done reading their TOS, they're sold out (looking at you, OVH)

You ever think that a fake ID might be less trouble than you seem to be having?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
    edited October 2021

@jar said:

@tinyweasel said:
    Just give me a god damn dedicated server that isn't by a provider that wants ID verification, with the following specifications:

• 16GB of DDR3/DDR2 RAM

You ever think that a fake ID might be less trouble than you seem to be having?

No, not really, and that'd be illegal (good luck enforcing that, however...), though. Usually it's because their payment gateway detects that there's no 3D Secure (if I must, bank transfer can be done), hence wanting me to do ID verification, which is just stupid for such a cheap server. I could see why at $90/month, but $27/19!? No way.

The worst part is that I do in fact have plenty of servers at home, but the uplink is the only reason why I cannot properly use them for VPSes, even if I got my ISP to lease me some IPv4 addresses.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2021

@Ian_Dot_Tech This being lowendtalk, $25/month is high end in my book!
    See below for proper budget dedis..

• $1.99 Scaleway (Start-2-S-SATA) 1TB HDD, with admittedly crap CPU but it serves a purpose.
    • $11.31 OneProvider Atom C2350 - 1.7 GHz - 2 core, 4GB - DDR3, HDD: 1TB SATA, 2 IPv4
    • OVH KS-7 i3 8GB RAM, 2TB about $13 but is crap for lack of additional IPv4.
    • Dual Quad Xeon 5420, 8GB Ram, 500 GB HDD, IPv4/29 (5 Usable), 20TB b/width for the grand sum of $12.50. A BF deal from a few years ago, from Unreal Servers - which is brilliant!

Anything above 100Mb/s I consider a bonus, at these rates.
    Three of these run Proxmox (one being a backup manager) and the cheapo happily runs basic Nextcloud services.
    The Xeon has been a great help when compiling custom kernels, especially with up to 14 threads allocated to the task. Otherwise it just does menial VPS tasks or trials of control panels etc.

It's horses for courses though. ;)

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Update: I just got a dedi with hetzner. I'll pay with bank transfer, if I must.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited October 2021

120gb ssd
    8gb ram
    100mbit / 1gbps - 1tb bandwidth
    a decent'ish cpu

• Still haven't found anything (and probably will not for a long time) to make me give up my SoYouStart ARM server:

2x ARMv7
    2GB RAM
    4TB HDD
    250 Mbps Unmetered

9 EUR/mo

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @tinyweasel said:
    Just give me a god damn dedicated server (I'm serious, so, if you can, give me an offer) that isn't by a provider that wants ID verification

Clearly, the easiest thing to do to avoid needing to provide ID to order servers is to live in US or Canada. I've never been asked for ID and I've been able to buy a VPS with a pihole VPN on by accident a couple of times. Location, location, location.

edited October 2021

@TimboJones said:

@tinyweasel said:
    Just give me a god damn dedicated server (I'm serious, so, if you can, give me an offer) that isn't by a provider that wants ID verification

Clearly, the easiest thing to do to avoid needing to provide ID to order servers is to live in US or Canada. I've never been asked for ID and I've been able to buy a VPS with a pihole VPN on by accident a couple of times. Location, location, location.

Yeah, I'm from a first world country, though, not from some third-world country. Anyway, at least I got my dedi.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

Just tossing around some ideas in my head. For sure not RPi but we will see in the coming weeks. Testing hardware configurations this week.

• @tinyweasel said:

@TimboJones said:

@tinyweasel said:

Yeah, I'm from a first world country, though, not from some third-world country. Anyway, at least I got my dedi.

The land of criminals!

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

One issue which people posted here is a lot of people are looking for 16GB but the ideas I have been thinking of consist of 8GB.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited October 2021

I know I said 120gb of storage, but 240gb ssds cost pretty much the same as 120 ones these days. So may as well go for that

Thanked by 1imok
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    One issue which people posted here is a lot of people are looking for 16GB but the ideas I have been thinking of consist of 8GB.

8gb would be cool for me but some ppl obviously want more

• Take a different approach from most: a hybrid dedi?
    Ex.
    Min. 2 core (preferably at least 4)
    8GB RAM
    64GB SSD (or larger - plenty for OS, /tmp, /var/cache etc.)
    500GB SAS (or better)
    250MB/s (or better)
    1TB bandwidth (or better)
    /29 IPv4, of course (perhaps a low cost option)

Thanked by 1imok
  • @tinyweasel said:
    Just give me a god damn dedicated server (I'm serious, so, if you can, give me an offer) that isn't by a provider that wants ID verification, with the following specifications:

• 16GB of DDR3/DDR2 RAM

WHI / dedispec (which i used, they never asked for ID), maybe nocix?

Regarding small servers (and both colocation of tiny server, for example, i bought intel NUC and placed here for $10) you can go with @DataIdeas-Josh https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/173468/shhhhhhhhhh-dont-tell-the-boss-they-are-this-cheap-rpis-dedis/p1

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • @MarshalChe said: Regarding small servers (and both colocation of tiny server, for example, i bought intel NUC and placed here for $10) you can go with @DataIdeas-Josh https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/173468/shhhhhhhhhh-dont-tell-the-boss-they-are-this-cheap-rpis-dedis/p1

Yeah, I will probably do this at the end of the year.

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    Take a different approach from most: a hybrid dedi?
    Ex.
    Min. 2 core (preferably at least 4)
    8GB RAM
    64GB SSD (or larger - plenty for OS, /tmp, /var/cache etc.)
    500GB SAS (or better)
    250MB/s (or better)
    1TB bandwidth (or better)
    /29 IPv4, of course (perhaps a low cost option)

This. Fastest disks as possible.