Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best VPS provider for low latency, like AWS (lightsail)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best VPS provider for low latency, like AWS (lightsail)

CamelCaserCamelCaser Member
edited October 2021 in Providers

Hi, I tried Hetzner, noez.de, aruba.it and AWS.
I'm actually on Lightsail on the 10$ plan, I tried with all of them and AWS seems the best in terms of latency, tried with many websites, ping is usually the best.
Trying to stay in the 5 euros range, preferably with 2GB of ram.
Just to have another, maybe cheaper option.

Thanks.

Comments

• Latency to where?

• Vultr and Digital Ocean might be similar to AWS. You'll have to try their locations.

• CamelCaserCamelCaser Member
    edited October 2021

@tetech said:
    Latency to where?

I have 3 servers on different countries (europe) connected to my master server.
    My app needs the lowest possible latency between these servers (they are not all on AWS) and me.
    Since I'm located in Italy, aruba gives me 20ms, meanwhile Frankfurt AWS 35ms, and finally Hetzner, on Nurimberg 40+.
    I'm trying to get a compromise here.
    I don't want to go with Aruba for performance (and network) reasons, but my app doesn't have strong requirements, even 1vcpu is enough for now, even tho I'll probably switch to 2 in the next months. But right now, since it's the begin, I hope to stay in the 5 euros range.

To make it short, a server that can beat AWS latency but still be good for the other servers in upper France/upper germany/netherlands, maybe lower France/lower germany.

@JasonM said:
    Vultr and Digital Ocean might be similar to AWS. You'll have to try their locations.

Tried digital ocean, aws is still better. Never tried Vultr

• Then you need server on Italy, not on europe..

Thanked by 1vovler
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Where are you checking latency to/from?

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Then you need server on Italy, not on europe..

Actually no, right now maybe yes, but the app will be available cross-europe (privately).
    If there's no better alternative I'll probably stay with AWS

@Mr_Tom said:
    Where are you checking latency to/from?

I'm simply making a ping on cmd from my home computer to the servers.

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited October 2021

I'm so confused, why do you need such low latency? There really isn't much that differentiates 20ms with 40ms for the vast majority of apps...

Either way though, on the internet there is no such thing as "guaranteed low latency". Congestion, fiber cuts and route changes happen all the time. One minute you could be getting a consistent 20ms, a few hours later you might get 80ms. You can't rely on low latency unless you shill out an arm and a leg for dedicated fibre links between your locations...