Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identifying Top Contributors to LET - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Identifying Top Contributors to LET

13»

Comments

• @raindog308 said:
    In short (pun intended), if a user ever gets to 65,535 thanks, their thanks will max out and they will become unthankable.

Let the user remain unthankable then give em a tag or something. Like Steam achievements, but more useless.

Thanked by 1default
  • @raindog308 said:
    Sure, you're saying, if people are barely at 20,000, they won't get to 65K in my lifetime...

I would not be so sure

it is enough than purple guy run few rounds of his giveaways where to participate in it users will have to click thanks on his posts...

• As long as I can see the formula and meticulously plan out how I will get a comment score of 69 is all that matters to me!

• @jsg said: your formula punishes length and favours short comments. 'Thanks / x + log10(comment_length)'

I wouldn't say "punishes" (an example of punishes would be 1/comment_length), but there are diminishing returns on writing longer posts. Which is probably how it should be, given that a longer post is not necessarily better and might even create incentives for long rants/drama threads.

@raindog308 said: well, my friend, that's the same kind of thinking that is burning up the planet. Shame on you. Think of your grandchildren.

Yeah, trash talk from a conservative, as if the thing you talk about isn't real.

Regardless, is LET gonna hand out "Top contributors" based on one's lifetime contribution? I'd suggest rotating the list every 6 months, this way no one gets to puff up their ego and new members actually have a chance at being recognized, avoiding a situation @plastik talked about.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said: Yeah, trash talk from a conservative, as if the thing you talk about isn't real.

Um...what?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Nekki said:
    Excellence in forum posting cannot be calculated by statistics and formulas.

Truth.
    Let's use the numbers in the below thread then:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/169743/the-nekki-points-thread/p1

• @yoursunny said:

@Nekki said:
    Excellence in forum posting cannot be calculated by statistics and formulas.

Truth.
    Let's use the numbers in the below thread then:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/169743/the-nekki-points-thread/p1

Banter lacks freshness -17

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2021

Maybe on Black Friday 2021 we will have a megathread for offers on badges and ranks, instead of offers for servers and hosting spiced with buyer's remorse.

"Less is more."

$7

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

why not make it the same as best provider where we just vote?

• @skorupion said:

Because half the forum has something strongly resembling brain damage.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:

@skorupion said:

Because half the forum has something strongly resembling brain damage.

half is an understatement more like everyone except maybe 3 people

• deankdeank Member, Troll

When people use their testicles as their brains, what can you expect?

It's not that even big.
    And those PMSing men-girls don't even have their testicles fully functional to begin with.

• @deank said: men-girls

*trannies

• deankdeank Member, Troll

No, transG are those who've chosen and accepted to be girls.

Men-girls are those who are too confused and sternly refuse to face the reality that their real gender is female.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2021

@raindog308 said:
    I also have to share the news that LET faces a grim Y2K-type situation.

The "ReceivedThankCount" column is implemented as a "smallint(5) unsigned". Why, I have no idea. Because Vanilla.

In short (pun intended), if a user ever gets to 65,535 thanks, their thanks will max out and they will become unthankable.

Fortunately, this just generates a warning in MySQL and does not wrap around to 0.

I can't think of a reason why that column couldn't be updated to a larger integer with an ALTER TABLE. Such drastic action may be needed as we approach the Thankspocalypse. The T64K bug.

Sure, you're saying, if people are barely at 20,000, they won't get to 65K in my lifetime...well, my friend, that's the same kind of thinking that is burning up the planet. Shame on you. Think of your grandchildren.

Now, you may be thinking a uint32 will be more than enough to last our lifetimes and then some. But why stop there? It's gotta be a full uint128 to ensure this problem will be done with once a for all. :D

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@raindog308 said: On the other hand, the most gracious person is @netomx, who has given 26,031 thanks

I love you all guys <3

Thanked by 2DP fazar