Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free 1 year Wildcard SSL - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free 1 year Wildcard SSL

2»

Comments

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2021

@jsg said: What I'm against is to declare those who prefer a paid for cert (for whatever reason) cert as idiots (which afaik you did not)).

Yeah, that's something I don't do as some people have valid uses for paid certs.

Something I do say is that EV certs are really not worth it (the ones that used to show a big chunky green indicator in the address bar). Troy Hunt agrees with me: https://www.troyhunt.com/extended-validation-certificates-are-dead/

• @kennsann said:

@Daniel15 said:

@kennsann said: Anyone know where to buy something real cheap, like that $20/yr paid yearly (not 5 years) for a wildcard cert?

Not sure of any that are that cheap (other than Let's Encrypt for $0/year), but you should be able to find AlphaSSL or PositiveSSL wildcard via a reseller for $35-$50/year.

Lets Encrypt is cool and all, I use it myself on everything right now. But with the issue with the recent expiration of DST Root CA X3, I dunno if I should just buy a cheap one instead.

There are some free CA too:

• ZeroSSL
    • SSL.com
    • BuyPass

You can switch to them. ZeroSSL is a good choice because they are Sectigo.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Daniel15 said:
    Something I do say is that EV certs are really not worth it (the ones that used to show a big chunky green indicator in the address bar).

Well, that's one POV, and a valid one, but by no means the only valid one. My take: E.g. for an online shop I'd prefer an EV cert. One reason being that there is a better, or any actual at all, verification. But also psychological reasons like clearly and obviously "playing with open cards", not hiding, and showing some respect towards as in "you and your trust mean enough to us to go the extra mile of getting an EV". And btw, we are not talking $500 to $1000/year anymore. One can get an EV for a bit less than $100 nowadays.

Btw, it's not only about the "green bar". Some (like myself) actually sometimes look at a sites cert.

I might care about his views on Microsoft related stuff ...