Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

buyvm vps comes with nameservers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

buyvm vps comes with nameservers?

gappergapper Member
edited September 2021 in General

in mean if i buy 1gb plan can i connect my domain to the vps with something like ns1.buyvm.net and ns2.buyvm.net or will i need to use something like cloudflare?

Comments

• vovlervovler Member
    edited September 2021

Assuming you have your own domain, you can create your own Glue Records somewhere in your registrar's panel.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

just use cloudflare, he.net dns, etc.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@gapper said:
    in mean if i buy 1gb plan can i connect my domain to the vps with something like ns1.buyvm.net and ns2.buyvm.net or will i need to use something like cloudflare?

If you have your own domain. You can use your domain registrar. Just set an A record for say mydomain.com 1.2.3.4(Your IP Address of the slice).

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • So do I need to go to GoDaddy and create glue records for ns1.mydomain.com (VPS IP) and ns2.mydomain.com (VPS IP) and then edit the nameservers and point them to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com?

will i need to install something on centos on the vps for this to work? i mean a dns server or something?

Well, what are you wanting to use the "slice" (vps) for?
    If just wanting to use it for a web server then you can leave the name servers set to godaddy.

Then just create the A record for the IP of the "Slice" and then when someone goes to mydomain.com it will go to the web server on the slice.

• @DataIdeas-Josh Yes I want to use the VPS slice to host a website. The VPS is 1024MB and comes with a single IP.

So if I understand you correctly, this is what I should do:

1. Setup the VPS and install nginx.
    2. Go to GoDaddy and create a glue record "ns1" which points to the VPS IP.
    3. Edit the nameservers of the domain and change them from GoDaddy's to ns1.mydomain.com.
    4. Done, after the DNS propagation time, my when visiting my domain it should load the webserver on the VPS.

Am I correct? I think you said that step #3 is not necessary?

• @gapper said:
    @DataIdeas-Josh Yes I want to use the VPS slice to host a website. The VPS is 1024MB and comes with a single IP.

3. Edit the nameservers of the domain and change them from GoDaddy's to ns1.mydomain.com.
    4. Done, after the DNS propagation time, my when visiting my domain it should load the webserver on the VPS.

Just put A record pointing to your VPS. If you really want to have your own nameserver, you can install DirectAdmin (comes free with buyvm's slice) then create glue records on your registrar for your nameserver.

@gapper said:
    @DataIdeas-Josh Yes I want to use the VPS slice to host a website. The VPS is 1024MB and comes with a single IP.

Do #1 yes,
    then just create an A record for your domain to the slice ip. If you want hit me up on discord and I can help walk you through it all. DemonMaestro#0906

Thanked by 2gapper Arkas
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Sorry we don't offer DNS at the moment.

It's on the TODO list, just other things are higher priority :)

If you put DA on your VPS then that'll handle your DNS if you want.

Francisco

Thanked by 2mustafamw3 gapper
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:
    Sorry we don't offer DNS at the moment.

If you put DA on your VPS then that'll handle your DNS if you want.

Francisco

He basically needs a Managed VPS from you.. :smile:

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Josh's advice is correct, don't confuse the guy further.

If they just want to host a single website its easy enough to do but if never have done it I can understand it could be a bit much.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Francisco said: Sorry we don't offer DNS at the moment.

rDNS is rather important, and seeing your services, I can't help but wonder what is more important??

@Arkas said:

@Francisco said: Sorry we don't offer DNS at the moment.

rDNS is rather important, and seeing your services, I can't help but wonder what is more important??

rDNS has been there since day 1.

The customer is wanting forward DNS hosting. We don't offer a hosted solution for that.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@Francisco said: rDNS has been there since day 1.

The customer is wanting forward DNS hosting. We don't offer a hosted solution for that.

Francisco

Sorry, my error.

@Arkas said:

@Francisco said: rDNS has been there since day 1.

Francisco

Sorry, my error.

:) No problem!

Francisco