Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare R2 Object Storage, Zero Cost Egress Traffic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare R2 Object Storage, Zero Cost Egress Traffic

Cloudflare announce their new product, object storage with zero cost egress traffic, which is one of major hurdle when using hyperscaler like AWS etc with their crazy bandwidth cost. R2 builds on Cloudflare’s commitment to the Bandwidth Alliance, providing zero-cost egress for stored objects

Let's see if they can really commit to it without any limitation or maximum egress traffic.

Thanked by 1JasonM

Comments

• No need to buy storage servers anymore

• That’s pretty game changer, don’t see how other providers can compete with that pricing. IE bunny is $0.11 per GB if you replicate everywhere plus bandwidth fees.

• that will still boil down to $15/month for 1TB of storage.

Thanked by 1chedenaz
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited September 2021

@danninov said: Let's see if they can really commit to it without any limitation or maximum egress traffic.

Cloudflare + B2 has always been like this and even cheaper, $0.005/GB storage with no egress so I don't see the problem.

Thanked by 2bdl sgheghele
  • @stevewatson301 said:

@danninov said: Let's see if they can really commit to it without any limitation or maximum egress traffic.

Cloudflare + B2 has always been like this and even cheaper, $0.005/GB storage with no egress so I don't see the problem.

Where you can see info for no egress fee for Backblaze? In their website, egress fee is $10/TB

• There's a handy Object Storage comparison page here:

http://gaul.org/object-store-comparison/

• @danninov said:

@stevewatson301 said:

Where you can see info for no egress fee for Backblaze? In their website, egress fee is $10/TB

its free if you use cloudflare on top.

• @danninov said:

When coupled with cloudflare, you will get free egress

• tjntjn Member
    edited September 2021

@danninov said:

https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217666928-Using-Backblaze-B2-with-the-Cloudflare-CDN

You also get free egress with B2 when using Vultr
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/developers-get-ec2-alternative-with-vultr-cloud-compute-and-bare-metal/

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2021

How long until B2 and BuyVM collab @Francisco?

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

$0.015/GB is very reasonable but it really depends on what rules will apply to the service. On one hand, there's the TOS limitation on what you can cache and deliver via their CDN (websites and site assets only). Backblaze + Cloudflare is technically without egress fees and at 1/3 of the cost, but to cache downloads and video you'd need the $200/m plan at Cloudflare (please correct me if I am wrong). So if this R2 service is excluded from that policy, then it's a really good deal. If not, then nothing much is really changing in the object storage market with the announcement of R2.
    On the other hand, B2 is not a stellar performer in terms of speed, especially for very viral content, so you'd probably always want to have a good CDN in front of it for production, unless speed is of no concern to your use case. When you do get a CDN, you will be paying the storage + egress + CDN egress and it will be more expensive the Cloudflare's storage service.
    Other things do matter too, apart from policies. For example, will the storage be billed hourly or monthly. That could make a day and night difference in the actual costs one pays, regardless of actual per GB pricing.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • lifehomelifehome Member
    edited September 2021

@fixxation said:
    There's a handy Object Storage comparison page here:

http://gaul.org/object-store-comparison/

2021 and still no HTTPS?

EDIT: OMG the repo is from 2018. Probably time to fork one?

• @PUSHR_Victor said: there's the TOS limitation on what you can cache and deliver via their CDN (websites and site assets only)
    @PUSHR_Victor said: but to cache downloads and video you'd need the $200/m plan at Cloudflare

Not on a pro plan ($20/m) or higher, and this limit doesn't apply to workers or R2 anyway:
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28682237#unv_28683255

Thanked by 1PUSHR_Victor
  • @stevewatson301 said:

@PUSHR_Victor said: there's the TOS limitation on what you can cache and deliver via their CDN (websites and site assets only)
    @PUSHR_Victor said: but to cache downloads and video you'd need the $200/m plan at Cloudflare

Not on a pro plan ($20/m) or higher, and this limit doesn't apply to workers or R2 anyway:
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28682237#unv_28683255

Interesting... So R2 is three times the cost of B2 for storage ($0.015/GB/month vs $0.005/GB/month) but egress is legitimately free. Sounds like a win for a large number of use cases.

• @PUSHR_Victor said: B2 is not a stellar performer in terms of speed

agree with this. I tested b2 files (desktop wallpaper-size images) directly loading on my site v/s caching them on cloudflare v/s pulling same file from another storage vps, I found cloudflare too be fastest because of Workers script I use, and content downloaded from storage vps to be also faster than pulling it from b2 storage! Somehow the wait-time (in seconds/ms) is quite lengthy for b2 assets.