Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS control panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS control panel

skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Welcome,

Would you be interested in a service where you can store all your keys, VPS, dedicated servers, etc...

There would be options where the service connects to your VPS and executes some basic commands like apt update && apt upgrade

There also would be an option for instant deployment of apps like Nextcloud DA etc...

It would be able to keep track of your VPS expiry date, note downtime, etc...

Also, would you pay for such a service?

How much would you pay?

Any more features you would like to see?

Little prototype (I know it's meh but outlines what I'm trying to accomplish)

Some questions
  1. Would you use it?38 votes
    1. Yes
      52.63%
    2. No
      47.37%
  2. How much would you pay?38 votes
    1. Nothing
      76.32%
    2. 6$/year
        7.89%
    3. 12$/year
      13.16%
    4. 24$/year
        0.00%
    5. 36$/year
        2.63%
    6. 5$/month
        0.00%
    7. 10$/month
        0.00%
    8. 20$/month
        0.00%
    9. 20+$/month
        0.00%

Comments

• Uh, you can use your filesystem (folders) to store the keys, and then, just have a simple text file. Beats having something that could be hacked so easily. Also, are you storing the credentials in plain-text!?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@tinyweasel said:
    Uh, you can use your filesystem (folders) to store the keys, and then, just have a simple text file. Beats having something that could be hacked so easily. Also, are you storing the credentials in plain-text!?

Nah lol, this is more so you can have it anywhere you go.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I can create a script to run and do this. I wouldn't be comfortable sharing my keys with an external party.

• Would you be interested in a service

Nah

Would you be interested in a self-hosted service

Hell yeah

• SPOF (Single point of failure) and "basic commands" can obliterate your professional life in so many ways...

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • @skorupion said:

@tinyweasel said:
    Uh, you can use your filesystem (folders) to store the keys, and then, just have a simple text file. Beats having something that could be hacked so easily. Also, are you storing the credentials in plain-text!?

Remote SSH + simple web UI listening on 127.0.0.1. Maybe, but even then, KeePass can store the credentials. Perhaps make a plugin?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@skorupion said:

@tinyweasel said:

I have a folder of text files that describe all servers and gadgets, including root password in plain text (but password SSH is disabled).
    The SSH private key is in an encrypted ZIP file, and its decryption password is written on a sticker underneath my computer.

These files are synchronized on Seafile.
    Seafile instance is hosted in a trustworthy provider.

• @yoursunny said:

@skorupion said:

@tinyweasel said:

I have a folder of text files that describe all servers and gadgets, including root password in plain text (but password SSH is disabled).
    The SSH private key is in an encrypted ZIP file, and its decryption password is written on a sticker underneath my computer.

Not sure whether it's the best idea to post that kind of info, but the chances someone will somehow figure out a way to put it to use are low, unless they've pwned your PC, and are extracting keys out of memory.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@tinyweasel said:

@yoursunny said:

@skorupion said:

@tinyweasel said:

Not sure whether it's the best idea to post that kind of info, but the chances someone will somehow figure out a way to put it to use are low, unless they've pwned your PC, and are extracting keys out of memory.

I have unencrypted SSH key on local disks, but not on Seafile or any remote server.
    Nowadays GitHub supports Personal Access Tokens, so that I don't need to upload SSH keys to a server just to push to GitHub.

If someone wants to obtain my key and pwn all my servers, just steal one of my computers or phones, enter the password on the sticker, and copy the file.
    Well, this probably already happened in the past 10 years…
    I've been thinking about making new SSH key since earlier this year, but haven't got to it.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

looks cool, even better if it was self hosted option and open source code. Would help with legitimacy

• Is it powerful and easy to use?