Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MannDude Interview is Now Live on LowEndBox!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The MannDude Interview is Now Live on LowEndBox!

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

One of the best interviews we've done is now live: our very own @MannDude of IncogNET!

Privacy, canaries, vpsBoard, crypto, backpacking, fruit orchards, tor/i2p, Hetzner IP prices...something for everyone here. It's really a great read.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/privacy-canaries-crypto-and-backpacking-interview-with-curtis-of-incognet/

P.S. You should check out IncogNET's latest offer, too.

Comments

• :) Good piece of reading.

All the best to this provider!

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

All the best @MannDude <3

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • Man of culture. <3

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Thanks, it was fun.

• That was a good interview. @MannDude whatever happened to Dr. Mike (I think this is the correct name) on Vpsboard? Not that I ever agreed with all he posted, but have to admire the dogged determination that he put into it.

@Weblogics said:
    That was a good interview. @MannDude whatever happened to Dr. Mike (I think this is the correct name) on Vpsboard? Not that I ever agreed with all he posted, but have to admire the dogged determination that he put into it.

Now that's a name I've not heard in a while. I'm not sure what happened to him.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@drmike

Last Active February 2012

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thanked by 2Falzo skorous
  • His name has both "Man" and "Dude". Overcompensating, much? ;)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

That was a nice read and good interview. Thanks for sharing.

@TimboJones said: His name has both "Man" and "Dude". Overcompensating, much?

No, it's "Mann" and "Dude". German with English subtitles.

@raindog308 said:

@TimboJones said: His name has both "Man" and "Dude". Overcompensating, much?

No, it's "Mann" and "Dude". German with English subtitles.

Pronounced, "Mohn Dew-dey"

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for participating @MannDude

• Nice read. When are you going to interview me?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2021

All I want to know is how long it will be before he gets tired of running his host and sells it off to KnownHost (or we find out that they already own it).. like his past endeavors when he got bored of them and didn't want to do it anymore. I keenly remember months of content building on his forum site which he then turned around and sold to KnownHost when he got tired of managing it and after promising he would never sell it.

If the interview doesn't include that information, I am not interested.

• Waiting for IncogNET's Black Friday :D

Thanked by 1MannDude

@TheLinuxBug said:
    All I want to know is how long it will be before he gets tired of running his host and sells it off to KnownHost (or we find out that they already own it).. like his past endeavors when he got bored of them and didn't want to do it anymore. I keenly remember months of content building on his forum site which he then turned around and sold to KnownHost when he got tired of managing it and after promising he would never sell it.

I talked about that.

@TheLinuxBug said: All I want to know is how long it will be before he gets tired of running his host and sells it off to KnownHost (or we find out that they already own it).. like his past endeavors when he got bored of them and didn't want to do it anymore. I keenly remember months of content building on his forum site which he then turned around and sold to KnownHost when he got tired of managing it and after promising he would never sell it.

Awwww...do you need a hug? I had no idea that you were so scarred by these horrific events.

It sounds incredibly entitled and whiny for you sit back and throw rocks. I don't recall @MannDude swearing a blood oath to run vpsBoard forever. @MannDude did what he thought was best for a forum that was dying if not already dead. And how exactly did this harm you or anyone else?

Thanks for letting us know.

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller

vpsBoard is still online with original content intact. If I gave it to a community member it may be offline today.

While I appreciate the content contributions by community members like @TheLinuxBug , I also appreciate that after these years it's all still available and indexed well. I get vpsBoard in my DuckDuckGo search results all the time. Would this be the case in other scenarios? I can't say for sure.

KH didn't buy it and then spam member's emails with offers, they didn't shut it down and as far as I know they haven't removed content.

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • @Weblogics said: That was a good interview. @MannDude whatever happened to Dr. Mike (I think this is the correct name) on Vpsboard? Not that I ever agreed with all he posted, but have to admire the dogged determination that he put into it.

+1

• Man vpsB thoughts are spicy. Always great to see an old friend @MannDude.

@TheLinuxBug said:

Long time no see! Hope you've been doing well in this crazy time! Yeah we all contributed to the content on there. There were some amazing discussions on there and I do miss hearing the latest and greatest on SoC. I think the last groups I bought (upon your recommendation) were Pine64+ and Orange/Banana Pis.

I didn't stay for too long after it was acquired by KH but I will admit out of all the possible options available out there (and there were a lot...), transitioning to KH was probably the best outcome.

I do believe that there were opportunities to turn vpsB around with new and engaging leadership, content, and better strategic actions. Even right now I think vpsB has some serious potential with the right team and attention, but I don't think it's being supported to it's full potentials.

It's understandable that there's frustration involved. We did what we could with the information we knew with the situation we were in at the time. I won't lie if I say that I've spent a fair amount of time reflecting on vpsB and think of how things could have changed or been better, but hindsight is 20/20 and I think we've all learned a lot from those experiences.

On a bit more of a personal note, to everyone who helped make 2013-2017 vpsBoard grand and contributed their time, talent, expertise, or just gave it a read during my tenure there, from the bottom of my heart I thank you. We've fostered some great discussions and our own unique blend of content that everyone who participated made better.

@FrankZ said:

@Weblogics said: That was a good interview. @MannDude whatever happened to Dr. Mike (I think this is the correct name) on Vpsboard? Not that I ever agreed with all he posted, but have to admire the dogged determination that he put into it.

+1

I'm pretty sure that the Dr. Mike from LET and the Dr. Mike from vpsB are different people. The Dr. Mike from vpsBoard changed his handle with some frequency. If you're out there reading this, get in touch some how!

@HalfEatenPie said:
    On a bit more of a personal note, to everyone who helped make 2013-2017 vpsBoard grand and contributed their time, talent, expertise, or just gave it a read during my tenure there, from the bottom of my heart I thank you. We've fostered some great discussions and our own unique blend of content that everyone who participated made better.

^This.

Or as the kids would say: 💯🔥💯🔥 fr fr tho this

Thanked by 2FrankZ vedran

@HalfEatenPie @MannDude

Glad to have both of you here and thanks for being part of our community.

• Good Interview of the Manliest Dude of them all @MannDude

Thanked by 1MannDude

@jbiloh said:
    @HalfEatenPie @MannDude

No problem. There isn't really any active alternatives anymore. ;)

@MannDude said:

@jbiloh said:
    @HalfEatenPie @MannDude

No problem. There isn't really any active alternatives anymore. ;)

<3