Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Hetzner AX-51 and AX-41 showing as having gpu - GeForce GT 710???
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Hetzner AX-51 and AX-41 showing as having gpu - GeForce GT 710???

burkely001burkely001 Member
edited September 25 in Help

Hey all, been lurking around here for some time but first time I post!

Long story short here, I'm hoping someone could potentially put an answer to this long drawn out mystery of mine and/or point me in the direct of where to look or what to look for to solve it myself. God knows, I've tried on my own!

So, I've picked up 2 AMD boxes - AX-41 and AX-51 both with nvme's, both out of FSN.

Both servers show as having a gpu in them. Running a sudo lspci -v -s $(lspci | grep VGA | cut -d" " -f 1) provides me with the following output:

VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.GT710-SL-1GD5 .

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of hetzner indeed having these gpu's inside the AX line of servers? Or am I getting a false result when I run that command? I don't seem to be able to find any info, nor can I enable the thing myself as of yet... I've tried a ton to get it active .

If anyone knows where I can find some sort of guide and/or some detailed info as to how I may be able to get this gpu (if it exists) enabled, I would very much appreciate that!

Cheers, and thanks so much!

Comments

  • jarjar Provider

    You're playing with fire if you start making that box heat up beyond what they planned for.

    Thanked by 1lentro

    "Note that Romania has laws agains all the illegal activities just like US, including copyright. Is not the Dracula's country or no man's land as you thought." - Random email from someone I don't know, about nothing I've done or said

  • on my ax-51…

    lspci -v -s $(lspci | grep VGA | cut -d" " -f 1)
    06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 41) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    I/O ports at f000 [size=128]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/2 Maskable- 64bit+
    Kernel modules: ast

  • tjntjn Member

    I just checked on 2 of my AX-51's, I'm getting the same output as @network33

    @burkely001 maybe you lucked out? :)

  • I had also GT on my AX-51 plan.

  • 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GT710-SL-1GD5
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
        Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at e8000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
        I/O ports at f000 [size=128]
        Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [78] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
        Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024 <?>
        Capabilities: [900] Secondary PCI Express
        Kernel modules: nouveau
    

    To The Moon!

  • It's lottery. It all depends what kind of motherboard Your unit has. If its asrock rack then it has intergrated gpu on the motherboard. If its "civilian" model then they need gpu for output. That's why some of You have GT710.

    Thanked by 2lentro LiliLabs
  • I checked my order in HEL, seems it had it.

    Can you use it tho for encoding/decoding/transcoding?

    This is a signature.

  • @kennsann said:
    I checked my order in HEL, seems it had it.

    Can you use it tho for encoding/decoding/transcoding?

    Not for encoding as it lacks nvenc. You can use it for decoding process tho so it can speed up some work

    Favorite European providers: netcup and Hetzner (free €20, aff)

  • Hey guys, sorry for not replying sooner. I was expecting a response when a reply was added - well, that never happened :/

    So yeah, I've got her active and running as a matter of fact. Encodes and transcodes perfectly... I'll be it, something seems off about it, I'm sure we're not "supposed" to be unlocking the gpu for use - but hey, you only live once right...

    I know nothing about these gpu's or what I'm looking for, but they definitely work...

    As for nvenc and the encoding part, I'm not too sure @AXYZE is completely correct about that.. While doing my research, I did read the card was capable of encoding.. Who knows, maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me!

    But output from funtioning card is:

    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GT710-SL-1GD5
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 122
    Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at e8000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
    I/O ports at f000 [size=128]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [78] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
    Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?> Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024 <?>
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

    Thinking part of my is nouveau is still present.. Again, not too sure about that one!

  • solimosolimo Member

    This GPU is old and slow, it is also passively cooled so it is not meant for heavy loads.

  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Provider

    Yes. They have, oddly enough, a video card. I noticed it a long time ago. When I installed Windows 10.

    My Hosting: ABCVG.net

  • @solimo said:
    This GPU is old and slow, it is also passively cooled so it is not meant for heavy loads.

    I absolutely agree. And while I did enable it, test it out I have no intentions of limiting my transcoding ability by passing everything through that gpu... A note to add, you mentioned passively cooled. Well, you're 110% correct and it does show. I ran nvtop while testing 2 simultaneous transcodes, and boy, that baby got extremely hot!

  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

    @burkely001 said:
    Hey guys, sorry for not replying sooner. I was expecting a response when a reply was added - well, that never happened :/

    So yeah, I've got her active and running as a matter of fact. Encodes and transcodes perfectly... I'll be it, something seems off about it, I'm sure we're not "supposed" to be unlocking the gpu for use - but hey, you only live once right...

    I know nothing about these gpu's or what I'm looking for, but they definitely work...

    As for nvenc and the encoding part, I'm not too sure @AXYZE is completely correct about that.. While doing my research, I did read the card was capable of encoding.. Who knows, maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me!

    But output from funtioning card is:

    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GT710-SL-1GD5
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 122
    Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at e8000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
    I/O ports at f000 [size=128]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [78] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
    Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?> > Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024 <?>
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

    Thinking part of my is nouveau is still present.. Again, not too sure about that one!

    No. It doesn.t

    No GK208 here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC

    No> @burkely001 said:

    Hey guys, sorry for not replying sooner. I was expecting a response when a reply was added - well, that never happened :/

    So yeah, I've got her active and running as a matter of fact. Encodes and transcodes perfectly... I'll be it, something seems off about it, I'm sure we're not "supposed" to be unlocking the gpu for use - but hey, you only live once right...

    I know nothing about these gpu's or what I'm looking for, but they definitely work...

    As for nvenc and the encoding part, I'm not too sure @AXYZE is completely correct about that.. While doing my research, I did read the card was capable of encoding.. Who knows, maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me!

    But output from funtioning card is:

    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GT710-SL-1GD5
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 122
    Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at e8000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
    I/O ports at f000 [size=128]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [78] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
    Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?> > Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024 <?>
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

    Thinking part of my is nouveau is still present.. Again, not too sure about that one!

    GT710 is not present on official Nvidia NVENC support matrix, neither on Wikipedia NVENC page. If you are sure that it works for some reason then you can further improve its capabilities with https://github.com/keylase/nvidia-patch

    Favorite European providers: netcup and Hetzner (free €20, aff)

  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited October 5

    Your much safer requesting KVM access and rising CPU clocks on bios compared to enabling this and using it to transcode Plex. Both, of course are idiotic attempts on a rented server with limited cooling.

  • FYI servers in Finland can arrive with AST1000 or GT710 depending on Datacenter. So, don't expect you'll always get GT710. CPU on those machines can transcode probably better than GT710

  • If anyone here wants to give up their AX 41 with a GT 710 let me know, happy to give you in exchange one without the GPU - would also pay a fee on top. I got around 20 non GPU ones which are for no use for me now, and I don't want to cancel them all which might get my account closed.

Sign In or Register to comment.