Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request for information about RIPE
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request for information about RIPE

Hello there,

We had a /24 subnet that we rented from an individual.

The person never added us to the abuse e-mail address section. Abuse always delivered his notifications to us late.

And recently it stopped the announcement of my IP addresses. He says he got mail from RIPE company, in which situations can RIPE request such a thing?

The email that the person I rented the IP address claims to have come to me from RIPE ;

prntscr.com/1t5ojlp

It stopped my announcement and immediately started using the IP address by announcing it to a different datacenter after 24 hours.

Who is wrong in this situation?

Abuse always reported late to us his e-mails. Can anyone who knows how RIPE sends e-mails to the subnet owner like this, help?

Comments

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

We have never gotten an abuse forward from our RIR (ripe or others) which in turns probably means that this was a repeated issue and serious one at that. The RIRs are usually really neutral when it comes these sort of matters so it has to be pretty serious to get it to this sort of stage is my guess.

You (as the person who using the prefix) need to sort out the abuse quickly and proactively. Ask your LIR to either manually forward a use complaints as they come in or add your abuse email to the w abuse-c for the Whois.

Don’t forget that the LIR can also deem you as a “risk” if you get ongoing and repeated abuse reports (even if you deal with them all immediately)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I'd say you were set up to lose your subnet.

• @Zappie said:
    We have never gotten an abuse forward from our RIR (ripe or others) which in turns probably means that this was a repeated issue and serious one at that. The RIRs are usually really neutral when it comes these sort of matters so it has to be pretty serious to get it to this sort of stage is my guess.

You (as the person who using the prefix) need to sort out the abuse quickly and proactively. Ask your LIR to either manually forward a use complaints as they come in or add your abuse email to the w abuse-c for the Whois.

Don’t forget that the LIR can also deem you as a “risk” if you get ongoing and repeated abuse reports (even if you deal with them all immediately)

@deank said:
    I'd say you were set up to lose your subnet.

You misunderstood me, the subnet does not belong to me, I just rented this subnet from a different company.

The company I hired did not add it to the abuse mail section, even though I told it to add my mail many times. He always forwarded the abuse mail notifications to me 3-5 days after I received the mails.

So abuse never included me in the mail part. He always responded late to abuses that came to him.

Although I am not at fault here, he stopped the IP announcements without refunding my money and immediately started using the IP addresses by renting them to a different company after 24 hours.

Although RIPE said to stop the announcement of IP addresses, this friend just deceived RIPE, cut the announcements for 1 day, then started using it in a different data center and did not refund my money.

Nope, I did not misunderstand you.

I guess I used a wrong word then. You were set up to lose your rented subnet. He set you up.

Not an uncommon practice.

• Phishing became "pishing", RIPE became "rope/rip". It looks 100% legit.

• MatthiasMatthias Member, LIR
    edited September 2021

The email is almost definitely fake and RIPE doesn't handle abuse anyways (see https://www.ripe.net/support/abuse). All they care about is that the abuse contact is accurate, not that abuse reports are actually handled.

If you want to be sure, you can also contact RIPE directly: https://www.ripe.net/support/contact

• itoito Member, Host Rep

Isn't this kind of screenshots easy to forge? I can also forge mail from the U.S. military. :D

• @deank said:
    Nope, I did not misunderstand you.

I guess I used a wrong word then. You were set up to lose your rented subnet. He set you up.

Not an uncommon practice.

@Boogeyman said:
    Phishing became "pishing", RIPE became "rope/rip". It looks 100% legit.

@Matthias said:
    The email is almost definitely fake and RIPE doesn't handle abuse anyways (see https://www.ripe.net/support/abuse). All they care about is that the abuse contact is accurate, not that abuse reports are actually handled.

If you want to be sure, you can also contact RIPE directly: https://www.ripe.net/support/contact

@hidemyhand said:
    Isn't this kind of screenshots easy to forge? I can also forge mail from the U.S. military. :D

Yes, the e-mail was completely fake. I emailed RIPE and wanted to verify if it was real.

RIPE said that the mail was not genuine and was not sent by us and our team.

Thank you very much everyone.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

Withdraw the relevant rope blocks

Nice.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Who did you lease your /24 from? Did they advertise here? What were you paying for the lease?

Got scammed, name and shame.

@MannDude said:
    Got scammed, name and shame.

Pretty sure it's a Man and a Dude.