Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup special (RS Superuser 4 dedicated cores / 20GB RAM / 640GB SSD & IPv4 discount)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup special (RS Superuser 4 dedicated cores / 20GB RAM / 640GB SSD & IPv4 discount)

pbxpbx Member
edited September 2021 in General

Seems like Netcup is having a special again:

RS Superuser
CPU: AMD EPYC™ 7702 - 4 dedicated cores
RAM: 20 GB DDR 4 ECC
SSD: 640 GB
PRICE: 16.16€ per month

German site: https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2780
International one: https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2780

And cheap IPv4:

German site: https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2781
International one: https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2781

Enjoy :smile:

Comments

• Good deal, if I ever need such performance

Thanked by 1pbx
  • I am using this machine for almost an year (grabbed it on last BF) and i cant complain. Up time and performance are great.

Thanked by 2pbx nullnothere
  • @Ponury_Typ said:
    I am using this machine for almost an year (grabbed it on last BF) and i cant complain. Up time and performance are great.

could you run a yabs? especially on a not new node that'd be interesting...

• I ordered one extra ip. This is a floating ip (can route to any vps anytime).

I already have a similar order from last year with a different name:

RS Superuser
    CPU: AMD EPYC™ 7702 - 4 dedicated cores
    RAM: 20 GB DDR 4 ECC
    SSD: 640 GB
    PRICE: 16.16€ per month

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @smile93 said: I ordered one extra ip. This is a floating ip (can route to any vps anytime).

yet, after you assign it to a server within the control panel, you can't detach/reassign it yourself. afaik having it changed will impose a fee...

if you want to be able to change that yourself truly at anytime you'll need to buy a failover IP (which of course is much more expensive)

Thanked by 2pbx nullnothere
  • @Falzo said:

@Ponury_Typ said:
    I am using this machine for almost an year (grabbed it on last BF) and i cant complain. Up time and performance are great.

So its a machine that have been running for almost an year but i have everything in docker so i just stopped the service and lunched the script:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-06-05                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Tue Sep 21 12:28:33 CEST 2021

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7702P 64-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 1996.249 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 19.4 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 629.9 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 161.25 MB/s  (40.3k) | 1.49 GB/s    (23.3k)
    Write      | 161.68 MB/s  (40.4k) | 1.50 GB/s    (23.4k)
    Total      | 322.93 MB/s  (80.7k) | 2.99 GB/s    (46.8k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 1.60 GB/s     (3.1k) | 1.58 GB/s     (1.5k)
    Write      | 1.69 GB/s     (3.3k) | 1.69 GB/s     (1.6k)
    Total      | 3.30 GB/s     (6.4k) | 3.27 GB/s     (3.1k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 2.18 Gbits/sec  | 2.25 Gbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 2.01 Gbits/sec  | 1.88 Gbits/sec 
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 2.22 Gbits/sec  | 2.37 Gbits/sec 
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | busy            | busy           
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 328 Mbits/sec   | 772 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 542 Mbits/sec   | 1.07 Gbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 363 Mbits/sec   | 907 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 121 Mbits/sec   | 948 Mbits/sec  

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.14 Gbits/sec  | 2.04 Gbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 2.26 Gbits/sec  | 1.76 Gbits/sec 
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.54 Gbits/sec  | 1.70 Gbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 609 Mbits/sec   | 1.12 Gbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 538 Mbits/sec   | 972 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 889                           
    Multi Core      | 3156                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/9973676

Thanked by 2Falzo nullnothere
  • @Ponury_Typ said:

@Falzo said:

@Ponury_Typ said:

So its a machine that have been running for almost an year but i have everything in docker so i just stopped the service and lunched the script:

thanks a lot, looks good!

• @Falzo said:

@smile93 said: I ordered one extra ip. This is a floating ip (can route to any vps anytime).

yet, after you assign it to a server within the control panel, you can't detach/reassign it yourself. afaik having it changed will impose a fee...

if you want to be able to change that yourself truly at anytime you'll need to buy a failover IP (which of course is much more expensive)

failover ip is 5 times more expensive ($5/month) vs addition ip ($1/month). If I don't change every month, ~$5 administrative charges per change still not so bad.

• @smile93 said: If I don't change every month, ~$5 administrative charges per change still not so bad.

agreed, though I am not sure about how high that fee actually is ;-) just wanted to mention it, not that someone reads it wrong...

• VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled

That means you can't run KVM virtualisation correct? Anyone know if they enable it on request?

• @smile93 said: ~$5 administrative charges per change

@Falzo said: I am not sure about how high that fee actually is

The Additional IPv4 page mentions it as "You can take an additional IP with you when you change products for a fee (€ 45 per change)".

That's really steep and I'd think it is better to just let go of the product with the IPv4 rather than pay the transfer fee.

@kevertje said: Anyone know if they enable it on request?

It is/was a ridiculous (IMHO) € 2 (or thereabouts per core).

I think Netcup really works well for the "off the shelf" products based on their pricing. Any customization/enhancements/changes seem to really significantly out price the lower end offers that they have.

Thanked by 3Falzo smile93 kevertje
  • @nullnothere said: € 45 per change

in context to the pricing of their failover IPs it seems understandable what they are trying to do here...

@nullnothere said: That's really steep and I'd think it is better to just let go of the product with the IPv4 rather than pay the transfer fee.

agreed. but to add to that if you cancel a product with an attached IP and do not cancel the IP itself it will become detached (for free) after the main product got removed. however, as there is no 'immediate' cancellation one might have to wait quite some time for it to completely run out ;-)

• @Falzo said: it will become detached

Aah I missed that - I think that's a good point.

If I understand things right, once the product is cancelled/terminated and the additional IP becomes "free", one can self-assign it (i.e. no fee to be paid) to any of the other products still owned by the user (as long as it is "compatible" with the additional IP).

So it is not as bad as I initially thought - of course this is all "logical" or even wishful thinking but I'm not sure if this logic works here :smile:

• BangumiBangumi Member
    edited September 2021

@kevertje said:
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled

That means you can't run KVM virtualisation correct? Anyone know if they enable it on request?

To enable it, afaik it would cost €2/month/core with a minimum term of 12 months.

Thanked by 2nullnothere kevertje
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited September 2021

@nullnothere said: If I understand things right, once the product is cancelled/terminated and the additional IP becomes "free", one can self-assign it (i.e. no fee to be paid) to any of the other products still owned by the user (as long as it is "compatible" with the additional IP).

So it is not as bad as I initially thought - of course this is all "logical" or even wishful thinking but I'm not sure if this logic works here

been there, done that, can confirm ;-)

PS: however, be aware that, if you transfer a service to another client, attached IPs will also be transferred, so it won't work, if you'd try to get rid of the service early that way...

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • @Bangumi said: minimum term of 12 months.

Ouch. That is rather painful - it should at least have been linked to the product expiry/contract (from the date of enabling).

Way out of Low End territory though.

@Falzo said: been there, done that, can confirm ;-)

Aah great to hear and thanks for the confirmation.

@Falzo said: if you transfer a service to another client, attached IPs will also be transferred

That makes sense and I think it's the "right" thing to do (esp. considering the fee to move the attached IP).

At least I'm thinking right even though this is German contract territory :wink:

• @nullnothere said: Ouch. That is rather painful

It is, but I think that it makes sense from their perspective: their goal is to sell VPSs, and if you really want to do your own KVMs you can, but it's not really worth it.
    You'd better grab two smaller VPSs with them.

This probably limits some cases of very high resource use. Not sure about that though, and it doesn't make much sense on dedicated cores!

This is limiting but LXC/docker works like a charm and are probably enough for most people.

I don't get why the "failover" IP isn't cheaper though, and why they impose such an high fee to move an IP from one box to another one.

• @pbx said: if you really want to do your own KVMs you can, but it's not really worth it.
    You'd better grab two smaller VPSs with them.

Exactly. It is also much more reliable, being (relatively) distributed across multiple host nodes.

@pbx said: This probably limits some cases of very high resource use. Not sure about that though, and it doesn't make much sense on dedicated cores!

Actually, they do restrict quite a few (useful for non-virtualized scenarios) flags on the CPUs as well. It is a shame actually to restrict so many flags rather than allow a full CPU pass through (minus vmx/svm). I think though that they use a common base set of flags (for non-root models) to allow for node balancing and transparent migrations.

Of course as you point out, LXC and Docker work fine with the limited flags.

Usually Netcup isn't the best from a CPU standpoint (and as @Falzo has also pointed out, the initial bench's aren't always reflective of the state of things later and that has been my experience too - CPU variance is quite high on most of their lineup and you're usually quite lucky if you get a consistent "good" performer). On every other front, they're really excellent value.

Thanked by 2Falzo pbx