Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Few ideas to verify
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Few ideas to verify

So, apart of suicide contemplation at corporate office, I came with few ideas on side projects. Looking for (in)validation.

1. FTP hosting -- simple FTP storage hosting service. Nothing ultra fancy;
  2. Central management for major cloud provider services (SaaS) -- Digitalocean, Vultr, Hetzner etc. has nice API's. The question is user will had enough faith to provide API keys;
  3. Wireguard web GUI;
  4. Domain portfolio manager with features like end-date alert, uptime alert etc.
  5. WHMCS clone;

Any more wild thoughts?

Comments

• Filehosting site. Something like this: https://catbox.moe/retard.html

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • @LTniger said: FTP hosting -- simple FTP storage hosting service. Nothing ultra fancy;

1. Just buy a hosting that supports FTP.
    2. Have you ever googled it (pure FTP storage hosting)?
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2021
    1. Wonderful idea. People love storage, but also people love abusing storage. FTP is great, but also problematic with space in context of Chia. Don't put encryption, to make it easier on storage, as people don't care or won't trust your encryption either way. Not sharing data is the most important aspect.
    2. Cheap deployment for Scaleway... people will love that. However, if someone can afford expensive management with deployment and maybe Kubernetes, they can also afford to use API on their own servers.
    3. Nope. Nyr has a script to deploy wireguard. If you can find a great way of avoiding firewalls like the one in China, by using application layers with encryption on top of encryption to overload their routers... now this would sell.
    4. Nope. Registrars already notify you about expiry. For uptime, there are solutions online, even free solutions.
    5. Now this would be interesting, but also an extremely expensive investment.
    Thanked by 3Levi Ympker bulbasaur
  • For wireguard gui management you want tailscale.
    https://tailscale.com/

Thanked by 2Levi mrTom
  • lifehomelifehome Member
    edited September 2021

I actually patched subspace for WireGuard web UI...
    (Ah... forgot to reply on the pended PR...)

EDIT: Tho it seem the project is half dead...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LTniger said: FTP hosting

Please let FTP die. It's a miserable, insecure protocol. SFTP exists now. Though a hosting service that only provides one, less-popular protocol seems suboptimal to me.

• Any new ideas to add to the pool?

• CDN service?

Thanked by 1Levi
  • XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

solar powered only DC .

Thanked by 1Levi
  • Public warez gopher server

Thanked by 2Levi mrTom
  • yes

1. Maybe build static hosting services?
    2. that’s a great idea, if you have the resources to maintain them. Not many players in this space

3. yes please.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • Someone is selling my ideas secretly :D

1. Did some progress with Django
    2. PHP
    3. Doing for long enough to support multiple registrars and control panels. In PHP

None was ever released due to procrastination and ADHD that I diagnosed with LowEndDoctors.

• front end to fiverr with a five percent mark up.

• @LTniger said: WHMCS clone;

Yes, that is quite possible. In Python, for instance, you'd want to dynamically import all plugins, and add them to a global associative array, and then call their functions, etc., when required.

I'm actually working on a VPS panel for NATed VPSes. It relies on a bunch of daemons to work (HTTP), but the end result is that you are able to create VPSes (NATed), forward ports, and so on. All I'll say is that if it's ready in a few days, expect it to beat NanoKVM, with a special twist, with no sign-up requirements (certain countries are blacklisted, though).

Thanked by 1Levi
  • @tinyweasel said: I'm actually working on a VPS panel for NATed VPSes

Outstanding! That's the idea I'am looking for. Unique, insanely niche, interesting. C'mon guys, brainstorm!

• A nice webinterface for Restic backups. There are a few attempts out there, but none of them really work. Could be done as a framework for handling backups with plugins for Restic, Borg, Kopia or whatever your choice of backend is.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • @chocolateshirt said: CDN service?

I offer that, but only for images.

• 4 is a good idea.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@tinyweasel said:
    I'm actually working on a VPS panel for NATed VPSes. It relies on a bunch of daemons to work (HTTP), but the end result is that you are able to create VPSes (NATed), forward ports, and so on. All I'll say is that if it's ready in a few days, expect it to beat NanoKVM, with a special twist, with no sign-up requirements (certain countries are blacklisted, though).

Blocking countries sounds easy, however, its also easy to circumvent.
    People will circumvent it and you have to block the methods they use.

People who are legit, might get blocked and people who know how circumvent this will do so, since you don't verify anything else, nothing stops them from applying again, again and again.

With 15GB of Traffic, unlikely anyone is going to abuse it Traffic related with VPN's and Torrent, expect CPU or I/O abuse, its rather unlikely.

Thanked by 1tinyweasel
  • @Neoon said:

@tinyweasel said:

Blocking countries sounds easy, however, its also easy to circumvent.
    People will circumvent it and you have to block the methods they use.

People who are legit, might get blocked and people who know how circumvent this will do so, since you don't verify anything else, nothing stops them from applying again, again and again.

With 15GB of Traffic, unlikely anyone is going to abuse it Traffic related with VPN's and Torrent, expect CPU or I/O abuse, its rather unlikely.

Yeah, those are some good points, I will say. Only real concern is outbound SMTP, IMAP, SSH, RDP, etc., traffic, but as long as those are blocked, I think it'll be fine.