Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Required for Transcoding 4k and 1080P for Adaptive Bitrate Streaming
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Required for Transcoding 4k and 1080P for Adaptive Bitrate Streaming

Looking for a Dedicated Core VPS or Dedicated Server

Bandwidth : 1 Gbit with 50-100 TB
Space: NVME SSD with High IOPS. (Even 50 gig is enough)

CPU Horse Power: Ability to transcode and transrate (5-10) live streams 4k or 1080P streams for Adaptive Bitrate Streaming

I was looking into this but seems to be an overkill

https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ax41-nvme

Comments

• Transcoding 4k need a lot of resources, so a dedicated ryzen server is pretty good

• For transcoding id recommended getting a server with a good gpu instead of focusing on cpu.

• @james50a said:
    For transcoding id recommended getting a server with a good gpu instead of focusing on cpu.

Any suggestions?

• Transcoding 4k is a bad idea. Don't stream 4k if you can't direct play. AX41 Ryzen 5 3600 can do ~15 transcodes without any issue.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @dosai said:
    Transcoding 4k is a bad idea. Don't stream 4k if you can't direct play. AX41 Ryzen 5 3600 can do ~15 transcodes without any issue.

The input source would be 4k. The output would be in a browser using cmaf format in multiple resolutions. The idea is that if the viewer has a decent data connection, then he should be able to stream it in 4k.

If Ryzen 5 3600 could handle 15 transcodes, then I can save money by using a cheaper CPU but still this is my first priority.

• Try to cop Hetzner's GTX1080 server, very good deal, but very rare too.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

I am not aware of any CPU that can do 10 streams transcoding from 4K to FHD. I actually can't think of anything that even comes close.
    Op would need a GPU to even get close to this.

• @PUSHR_Victor said:
    I am not aware of any CPU can do 10 streams transcoding from 4K to FHD. I actually can't think of anything that comes close.

Makes sense. There was some hacky fromula to convert passmark benchmark score to number of streams a CPU could encode. I just can't find it anywhere :disappointed:

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

From first hand experience you are looking at multiple GPUs to do that. I have not heard of that formula but would not count on it anyway.

• @noaman said:

@PUSHR_Victor said:
    I am not aware of any CPU can do 10 streams transcoding from 4K to FHD. I actually can't think of anything that comes close.

Makes sense. There was some hacky fromula to convert passmark benchmark score to number of streams a CPU could encode. I just can't find it anywhere :disappointed:

If you are referring to Plex then passmark score 2000 for a 1080p transcode

• @chocolateshirt said:

@noaman said:

@PUSHR_Victor said:

If you are referring to Plex then passmark score 2000 for a 1080p transcode

So that means 10000 should be enough for 5 1080p Streams?

• Yes if you are using CPU for transcoding. But Plex (Pass) also suppport GPU transcoding too, so if you have Intel iGPU or any dedicated GPU, it will greatly improve transcoding

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Yes if you are using CPU for transcoding. But Plex (Pass) also suppport GPU transcoding too, so if you have Intel iGPU or any dedicated GPU, it will greatly improve transcoding

I am using FFmpeg. I will definitely look into GPU support.

• @noaman said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    Yes if you are using CPU for transcoding. But Plex (Pass) also suppport GPU transcoding too, so if you have Intel iGPU or any dedicated GPU, it will greatly improve transcoding

@lentro

Thanked by 1lentro
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

@SirFoxy said:

@noaman said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@lentro

Thanks for the mention!

FFmpeg definitely benefits from GPUs, I once dealt with a streaming site and the transcoding loads were insane on CPUs.

@noaman My own company (Dash Cloud) won’t be able to do that 50-100TB bandwidth connection with a GPU for anywhere close to Hetzner’s cost… a gig costs us ~$250-$500+ per month depending on the ISP/blend quality, which means 50TB of traffic would cost $50 alone.

So I would recommend FluidStack. I work for them so I can help you get set up if you need.

If you only stream at certain times, get an instant deploy. Billed per-minute. You only pay the storage cost when the server is off.
    https://fluidstack.consoledock.com/deploy

If you are fine with India, get this NVIDIA 2080 Ti:
    https://fluidstack.consoledock.com/order_details/rectVMJaoWWnxOR1J

Crypto mine on whatever percentage of the GPU you aren’t using to reduce the cost.

• @lentro said:

@SirFoxy said:

@noaman said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@lentro

Thanks for the mention!

FFmpeg definitely benefits from GPUs, I once dealt with a streaming site and the transcoding loads were insane on CPUs.

@noaman My own company (Dash Cloud) won’t be able to do that 50-100TB bandwidth connection with a GPU for anywhere close to Hetzner’s cost… a gig costs us ~$250-$500+ per month depending on the ISP/blend quality, which means 50TB of traffic would cost $50 alone.

So I would recommend FluidStack. I work for them so I can help you get set up if you need.

If you only stream at certain times, get an instant deploy. Billed per-minute. You only pay the storage cost when the server is off.
    https://fluidstack.consoledock.com/deploy

If you are fine with India, get this NVIDIA 2080 Ti:
    https://fluidstack.consoledock.com/order_details/rectVMJaoWWnxOR1J

Crypto mine on whatever percentage of the GPU you aren’t using to reduce the cost.

I will definitely consider this in future. I think I should start slow with Hetzner :smile:

Thanked by 1lentro
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@noaman said: I will definitely consider this in future

Good choice, Hetzner defo has best performance to cost in Europe. For 35 euros and no setup fee, it's a really good deal. So congrats and remember to consider GPUs once you have a need for faster encoding/decoding!

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2021

Get EX-Series and use Intel Quicksync with iGPU, that should be able to do more transcoding than any AX server with CPU alone.

If you really need 10-15 4K transcodes, you should look for GPU enabled server.

• AvoroAvoro Member, Host Rep

@noaman said:

Bandzen width : 1 Gbit with 50-100 TB

CPU Horse Power: Ability to transcode and transrate (5-10) live streams 4k or 1080P streams for Adaptive Bitrate Streaming

Hi,

we can offer EU dedicated servers with Traffic flatrate with the newest processors as AMD Ryzen or Intel Core i9.

• @Avoro said:

@noaman said:

Bandzen width : 1 Gbit with 50-100 TB

Hi,

we can offer EU dedicated servers with Traffic flatrate with the newest processors as AMD Ryzen or Intel Core i9.

Share some links