Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP Geo Location & Streaming
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP Geo Location & Streaming

oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

This question is directed more at providers on LET. From time to time we get clients who sign up for a vps or ded servers so they can stream netflix from USA. Any tips to keep our IPs not blacklist by netflix? What's the general thought process on this?

Any suggestions/tips to make our ARIN ips more netflix/stream friendly?

Does netflix/hulu just hate server/vps hosting companies?

Comments

• @oplink said:
    Does netflix/hulu just hate server/vps hosting companies?

I don't think so. But they hate DC IP address. They love residential IP address

Thanked by 1oplink
  • For example http://witch.valdikss.org.ru/ can detect if the enduser is using a tunnel of some sorts. I suspect netflix does the same or similar

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I think they're blocking based on ASN now, so anything hosting-related will get banned eventually

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

@kevertje said:
    For example http://witch.valdikss.org.ru/ can detect if the enduser is using a tunnel of some sorts. I suspect netflix does the same or similar

Is there a way around that on the provider side? Or is this something the client would have to setup on the rented server?

• @oplink said:

@kevertje said:
    For example http://witch.valdikss.org.ru/ can detect if the enduser is using a tunnel of some sorts. I suspect netflix does the same or similar

Is there a way around that on the provider side? Or is this something the client would have to setup on the rented server?

I think I was able to spoof this with 'synproxy' flag in OpenBSD pf. I think it has to do with MTU and fragmentation because VPN will cut off a few bytes and they can detect that. Probably HTTP proxy without X-Forwarded-For headers and proper browser isolation can be effective

Thanked by 2oplink adly
  • They started blocking residential IPs recently as well.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@oplink said: Does netflix/hulu just hate server/vps hosting companies?

In short: Yes, due to it can act as a VPN.
    This issue has been a mixed bag for us as well. So I will be watching this topic as well to see if someone else has a good idea!

edited September 2021

@kevertje said:

@oplink said:

@kevertje said:

I think I was able to spoof this with 'synproxy' flag in OpenBSD pf. I think it has to do with MTU and fragmentation because VPN will cut off a few bytes and they can detect that. Probably HTTP proxy without X-Forwarded-For headers and proper browser isolation can be effective

I've tested an IP directly from the DC and it still came back as blocked.

There was a website posted somewhere here in LET that you could check all 3 DBs. Trying to find it.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@NobodyInteresting said: They started blocking residential IPs recently as well.

My experience has been that they are doing more white-listing than anything else..

They specifically us asked which of our IPs are for hosting and which are for end-users..

@kevinds said:

@NobodyInteresting said: They started blocking residential IPs recently as well.

My experience has been that they are doing more white-listing than anything else..

They specifically us asked which of our IPs are for hosting and which are for end-users..

oh? and how did they contact you?

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

oh? and how did they contact you?

Was not fun process.. Had to initiate contact them after getting the VPN/proxy message when not using those services, first as a user, then as net-admin..

• AlaxonaAlaxona Member, LIR

Sorry to interfere with more common article but it seems that there is no much common sense in this process: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/netflix-is-adding-residential-ip-addresses-to-its-vpn-blocklists/

edited September 2021

@Alaxona said:
    Sorry to interfere with more common article but it seems that there is no much common sense in this process: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/netflix-is-adding-residential-ip-addresses-to-its-vpn-blocklists/

This part isn't true..

If you want to watch Netflix originals across a VPN, you can do so whether your endpoint is on the service's blocklist or not, but region-locked content will be hidden from view, neither browsable nor playable.

From my own experiences with the newer shadow-ban style..

The longer you are shadow-banned, the more content, Netflix Original or not, disappears.

Every few days, something else goes away..

At one point, I could watch Season 1 of a Netflix Original, but not Season 2..

Took me over a month to get us un-banned,

If you do not have proxies, VPNs, or other routing software but still see this message, contact your internet service provider. They'll be able to determine why your IP address is associated with proxy or VPN use.

I had them tell me this one too... By far the most fustrating of all the support strategies... Some of the reps seem to actually believe it to be true...

Like my ISP knows why Netflix flagged it as such..

They did not get happy responses from me when I put on my 'ISP hat' for this line.

@kevinds said:
    They did not get happy responses from me when I put on my 'ISP hat' for this line.

What did you say to them?

Anyone else have any ideas as well?