Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Business in Canada but server in USA!!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Business in Canada but server in USA!!

So my business is in Canada and its for Canadian customers only. So how bad the impact will be on my business website if the the website is hosted on a USA server. I know Google tries to suggest all the local websites. Please share your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Google identifies website location based on its domain TLD, not hosting location.
    For generic TLD, you can set website location in Search Console - International Targeting.
    https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6059209?hl=en

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

No impact between US/CA. Your main issue is distance to customers - so you wouldn't want to do like EU, but Chicago/New York/etc is good for Canada.

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

does that actually make a difference?

• It really comes down to the TLD these days as loads of sites are either on shared IPs.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

No impact at all...

@GreenPeace said: So how bad the impact will be on my business website if the the website is hosted on a USA server.

Canada has lots of peering/transit connections to the USA.. Unless your ISP cares (I only know of one that does/did), a LOT of Canada-to-Canada traffic goes through the US anyways.

some Calgary to Edmonton traffic will go through Seattle for example.

• Thrown in jail and stripped of Canadian citizenship. /s

Seriously, it only matters if you are in one of those HIPPA type businesses where your data needs to be in a secure Canadian datacenter. I doubt you handle medical files and shit or this would be a negligent question.