Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Network speed to diffrent VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Network speed to diffrent VPS

Hello!

My first post here, I'm a proud owner of one server form oneprovider.com, and one form kimsufi.com. Also, I work as a Cloud Engineer, so I have access to Azure and AWS servers.

I live in a village where network is quite poor, but i mange to get wireless net form local ISP (via wireless devices Mikrotik). Net should be 50 download 5 upload. But when I download something from my servers, it's only around 10Megs. Speedtest.net shows 50/5, when I download game form steam I also get 50Megs. But most downloads form the web is around 10-20Megs. I managed to get 50Meg when I download something from server in vultr.com (using default configuration, so poor speed is not caused by bad configuration)

Can somebody explain why this happens and if is any chance to fix this?

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

because your browser is s**t at downloading. Use something like a free download manager.
    And the server that you are downloading from may not have direct peering to your isp thus when other isp that forward the packet to you may slow it a little bit down.

• Download what?
    Using what protocol?
    Server configuration?
    Latency to your server?
    Latency to vultr?

If you use http protocol, have you tried download accelerator that use multiple connection/thread?

• Why?

• The method of transfer is subject to how your local network and ISP deals with it. Applications built for transfers optimize transfers by using separate streams and least fragmentation for maximum throughput. With wireless it may fragment or have more packet retries more to deal with interference.
    • ISP have contracts with other ISPs to transfer data. Your ISP will have good contracts with speedtest and steam because thats what most of their customers will use. Other locations maybe not (they go through more hops) so your transfer is less good. This is BGP peering

How to fix?

• You could try a VPN (compression?)/GRE tunnel and see if you get better peering or deal better with fragmentation
    • Depending on needs, RDP/VNC can help
    • Check if you can configure anything in your local setup to tweak the wireless retries or fragmentation. Latency and throughput are different animals, there are choices to make here.
  • Thanks for all your answers!

@skorupion said:
    because your browser is s**t at downloading. Use something like a free download manager.
    And the server that you are downloading from may not have direct peering to your isp thus when other isp that forward the packet to you may slow it a little bit down.

I think this is not an issue of a browser. But I will try download manager.

@chocolateshirt said:
    Download what?
    Using what protocol?
    Server configuration?
    Latency to your server?
    Latency to vultr?

If you use http protocol, have you tried download accelerator that use multiple connection/thread?

Download what?

• iso or video file.
      Using what protocol?

• Http, ftp or TCP (I think rsync is TCP)
      Server configuration?

• Just normal http server
      Latency to your server?

• around 36ms
      Latency to vultr?

• around 33ms

@kevertje said:
    Why?

• The method of transfer is subject to how your local network and ISP deals with it. Applications built for transfers optimize transfers by using separate streams and least fragmentation for maximum throughput. With wireless it may fragment or have more packet retries more to deal with interference.
    • ISP have contracts with other ISPs to transfer data. Your ISP will have good contracts with speedtest and steam because thats what most of their customers will use. Other locations maybe not (they go through more hops) so your transfer is less good. This is BGP peering

How to fix?

• You could try a VPN (compression?)/GRE tunnel and see if you get better peering or deal better with fragmentation
    • Depending on needs, RDP/VNC can help
    • Check if you can configure anything in your local setup to tweak the wireless retries or fragmentation. Latency and throughput are different animals, there are choices to make here.

Thanks, VPN or GRE tunnel is only thing that I can do because I don't have access to receiving device.

I think I must find VPS with good BGP peering with my ISP It's any way to find how good this peering will be this is my provider BPG - AS13110 (INEA S.A.)

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

@kajoj2 said:
    I think I must find VPS with good BGP peering with my ISP It's any way to find how good this peering will be this is my provider BPG - AS13110 (INEA S.A.)

You can check out bgp.tools at this link to see the upstreams & peers of AS13110.