Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS in Asia with good Indonesia peering, hourly rates, and API for scaling resources up and down?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS in Asia with good Indonesia peering, hourly rates, and API for scaling resources up and down?

I guess this request is a bit complicated and very limited in choice...

I'm looking for a low-end VPS in Asia with good peering to Indonesia and I'm guessing Singapore is the only realistic location but I'm happy for someone to prove me wrong.

I need a low-end shared-CPU VPS: 2 vCPU, 2GB RAM, ~30GB SSD, 1TB bw

I'll be using the low-end VPS 99% of the time, but for the other 1% I need to scale it on-demand to a 4 vCPU 6+GB RAM VPS and then back to the lower-end one, all this automatically via API, or worst case via an online panel, but it needs to happen automatically so no waiting on humans to do it on the other end.

I've done some research and found some choices, I found this LET thread here from 2017 that asked practically the same question but its old so let's see if there is any change.

If there are no other providers you can think of, perhaps someone can tell me a bit about the Asia peering and particularly Indonesia peering of these providers:

• Upcloud has Simple and Flexible plans in PrincetonDG SG1 Singapore

• DigitalOcean can Resize their droplets and is cheaper than the rest if keeping a Regular Intel and then resizing to a Premium Intel droplet. I'd get NVMe on the premium one as well so that's a bonus. Their location is apparently Equinix’ International Business Exchange data centers in Singapore (SG2).

• Ikoula public cloud resources can be increased/decreased but they are by far the most expensive on this list with just 10GB storage and weird "BP external (Asia Area: 10 Mb/s per VM)" whatever that means so not looking deeper into them.

• Linode allows in-place up/downgrade. Not sure which Data Center in Singapore but I found it "blends transit from Telstra/Pacnet and PCCW, along with direct peering into the Equinix Internet Exchange (EIE)"

At this point I'm leaning towards DigitalOcean purely on price, with Linode in 2nd place purely on their extensive automation and API solutions.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• how about Vultr. not many choices for hourly anyway.

• When you upgrade to higher package, your storage will go up too.. so you can not downgrade the package without data loss..

• @cybertech said:
    how about Vultr. not many choices for hourly anyway.

oh yea forgot to mention, looked into them but they only allow upgrades, not downgrades, so they're out

• @chocolateshirt said:
    When you upgrade to higher package, your storage will go up too.. so you can not downgrade the package without data loss..

I've looked into that, most of them allow CPU and RAM upgrading (DO has a specific category for just upgrading CPU and RAM without storage), and the storage just stays the same, or in the case of transferring between DO Regular and Premium intel droplets, it copies over and copies back.

Upcloud also does not resize storage even if a higher plan has more storage, specifically in order to allow you to easily go back to a lower plan.

They actually thought about this

• All most SG location have good peering from Indonesia, except OVH-Telkom

• You won't find provider which offer plan downgrade including disk space. Maybe Amazon at this point is an option?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

What about Premtabo?

• kuroneko23kuroneko23 Member
    edited September 2021
  • hosthatch just restock their Singapore VPS now. You can give them a try (I mean ping / mtr).

From Vietnam, they got best speed I've ever seen.

• oh wow an actual Indonesian host! Didn't think those existed, need to see if they have a way to change plans on-demand, they have hourly billing so I hope so

• @solimo said:

oh wow an actual Indonesian host! Didn't think those existed, need to see if they have a way to change plans on-demand, they have hourly billing so I hope so

They actually have price by the second https://node.co.id/page/pricing/ first time I see such pricing model. Insane :open_mouth:

• AWS EC2 already have per second billing with a minimum of 60 seconds. Neither low end or cheap though.

• Also https://elastis.id/ and https://fleksibel.com/, they're Indonesian companies.

There is another one but I cannot remember the name, owned by PT Remala (or Rajasa), not sure.

• What you're looking for is jelastic cloud platform.

https://jelastic.cloud/

find your provider there.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • kuroneko23kuroneko23 Member
    edited September 2021

@Dazzle said:
    There is another one but I cannot remember the name, owned by PT Remala (or Rajasa), not sure.

idroot.cloud? PT Raja Mitra Informatika

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • @kuroneko23 said:

@Dazzle said:

idroot.cloud? PT Raja Mitra Informatika

Ah yes! This is it.

idROOT Hosting Solution
    PT Raja Sepadan Abadi (RAJASA)
    Gedung Satria 2 Lt. 2 No. A201
    Jl. Komjen Pol. M. Jasin No.26
    Kelapa Dua, Depok, Jawa Barat

• @giang said:
    hosthatch just restock their Singapore VPS now. You can give them a try (I mean ping / mtr).

From Vietnam, they got best speed I've ever seen.

Like this.
    Using HH , best speed with nvme storage.

Thanked by 1giang
  • UpCloudUpCloud Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the mention, @solimo. We do offer a 3 day trial (https://upcloud.com/signup/) of our $5 Simple Plan packages in Singapore so if you want to check out the network to certain locations, feel free! 👍

• @solimo said:

oh wow an actual Indonesian host! Didn't think those existed, need to see if they have a way to change plans on-demand, they have hourly billing so I hope so

Yes, but the prices are crazy expensive.

• awoooooolawooooool Member
    edited September 2021

what about IDCloudHost?

Thanked by 1solimo
  • @solimo, Check out neo.id (https://www.biznetgio.com/en/product/neo-virtual-compute):

• have 5 HA-zones
    • powered by Openstack (of course there's API)
    • unmetered bandwidth (to international/domestic, no tunnels/vpns)
    • connected to 2 tier-1's Indonesian ISPs (AS17451 Biznet & AS4787 CBN), also to major exchanges in Indonesia.
    • of course have on-demand & pay as you go plans (can topup balance from credit card)

they also provide private cloud (using vmware), but requires US $300-400 minimum deposit.

Thanked by 1solimo
  • Coming back to my thread in case someone finds this information useful...

I looked at all the local Indonesian hosts and decided that neo.id looks the best, great network on paper, decent prices for an Indonesian VPS and up/down resizing of VPS is possible and as a bonus a website fully in English.

2 vCore 2GB RAM 60GB "Boot Storage" for about 15.50eur/mo for that location is ok to me, and I could easily resize to 8 vCore 8GB RAM and same 60GB for about 2.60eur/day which is also ok.

So I put some prepaid credits to give it a try, I was suspicious of this "60GB Boot Storage" as there was no info on what type it is (I could have asked of course) and well, I'm going to call it "completely useless storage". Here's YABS:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-06-05                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sun 03 Oct 2021 09:05:41 PM UTC

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel Core Processor (Broadwell)
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 2194.848 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 1.9 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 59.0 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 1.99 MB/s      (498) | 31.78 MB/s     (496)
    Write      | 2.01 MB/s      (504) | 32.16 MB/s     (502)
    Total      | 4.00 MB/s     (1.0k) | 63.94 MB/s     (998)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 100.24 MB/s    (195) | 99.59 MB/s      (97)
    Write      | 105.57 MB/s    (206) | 106.22 MB/s    (103)
    Total      | 205.81 MB/s    (401) | 205.82 MB/s    (200)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 485 Mbits/sec   | 448 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 445 Mbits/sec   | 457 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 520 Mbits/sec   | 318 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | busy            | busy           
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 294 Mbits/sec   | 271 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 314 Mbits/sec   | 318 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 462 Mbits/sec   | 274 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | 179 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 560                           
    Multi Core      | 827                           
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/10222925

The cores are decent enough, not quite sure how to read the geekbench number.
    Conveniently they also sell a "High Performance Storage" 5K IOPS for 0.33eur/GB/month (10K IOPS 0.53eur/mo), which is what should really be on this thing already, but I guess Indonesia is weird like that. So by default you get a 60GB useless drive instead of, say, 20GB that you can actually do something with.

At least the network seems pretty decent considering its Indonesia, so here's a full Asia speedtest:

========================================================= 
     \            Speedtest https://bench.monster            / 
     \    System info, Geekbench, I/O test and speedtest     / 
     \                  v1.5.6   2021-06-21                  / 
     ========================================================= 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

## Asia Speedtest.net

Location                         Upload           Download         Ping   
     Nearby                           1219.74 Mbit/s   1439.30 Mbit/s   2.851 ms
     India, New Delhi (Weebo)         191.75 Mbit/s    366.77 Mbit/s    84.462 ms
     India, Mumbai (SevenStar)        237.43 Mbit/s    213.07 Mbit/s    67.828 ms
     India, Bengaluru (I-ON)          255.07 Mbit/s    411.50 Mbit/s    54.627 ms
     Sri Lanka, Colombo (Telecom PLC) 301.07 Mbit/s    289.12 Mbit/s    50.320 ms
     Pakistan, Islamabad (Telenor)    8.61 Mbit/s      71.40 Mbit/s    122.651 ms
     Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar (Mobicom)  113.89 Mbit/s    151.39 Mbit/s   101.206 ms
     Bangladesh, Dhaka (Skytel)       158.19 Mbit/s    125.74 Mbit/s    64.364 ms
     Bhutan, Thimphu (Bhutan Telecom) 35.49 Mbit/s     37.58 Mbit/s     89.077 ms
     Myanmar, Mandalay (Ooredoo)      293.99 Mbit/s    620.74 Mbit/s    61.189 ms
     Laos, Vientaine (Mangkone)       144.81 Mbit/s    129.62 Mbit/s   472.032 ms
     Thailand, Bangkok (CAT Telecom)  293.58 Mbit/s    453.77 Mbit/s    46.064 ms
     Cambodia, Phnom Penh (Smart)     293.96 Mbit/s    360.07 Mbit/s    50.795 ms
     Vietnam, Hanoi (Viettel)         280.33 Mbit/s    390.98 Mbit/s    60.428 ms
     Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur (Extreme) 39.61 Mbit/s     20.55 Mbit/s    183.520 ms
     Singapore (PT FirstMedia)        645.02 Mbit/s    1143.80 Mbit/s   14.032 ms
     Indonesia, Jakarta (Desnet)      793.59 Mbit/s    803.22 Mbit/s     4.205 ms
     Philippines, Manila (Globe Tel)  68.96 Mbit/s     115.50 Mbit/s    68.758 ms
     Hong Kong (fdcservers)           66.52 Mbit/s     173.65 Mbit/s   203.677 ms
     Taiwan, Taipei (TAIFO)           10.60 Mbit/s     46.86 Mbit/s    187.621 ms
     Japan, Tsukuba (SoftEther)       137.24 Mbit/s    31.20 Mbit/s     83.131 ms

Quite decent in the region, funny that downloading from Singapore is faster than from some other local ISP in Jakarta. I guess Singapore really is the mecca for serving Asian locations.

Sure I can make it work by buying the fast storage, I'd need about 6GB for starters, but this brings the price up, and I still have a slow as hell OS drive that I don't really want to deal with.

I might try idcloudhost.com next if I can decipher their website before giving up on Indonesia and going the Singapore route

• solimosolimo Member
    edited October 2021

So I considered IDCloudhost, went through their Service policy and found the following:

Resource Usage

Users are not allowed:

Uses 10% or more of the system for more than 60 seconds. There are many activities that can cause various problems, including: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, and so on.
    Run any interactive real-time chat application that requires server resources. Remote-hosted services are allowed.
    Run processes on the stand-alone server side unattended at all times. This includes any daemons, such as IRCD.
    Run any software that interfaces with an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network
    Run a bit torrent, tracker, or client application.
    Participate in file sharing / peer to peer activities.
    Running game servers such as Counter Strike, Half-life, Battlefield1492, and so on.
    Runs cron entries at intervals of less than 5 minutes.

Ummm... this seems completely unreasonable, but I confirmed it by contacting them that indeed these policies apply to their Cloud VPS offers. So looks like these are not actually "Servers" like the name suggests.

So good luck to Indonesia in their Internet endeavors, I'm giving up on them

Thanked by 2AXYZE wpyoga
  • Better for you to use Singapore based server.

Thanked by 1wpyoga