Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner IP prices increase - workaround? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner IP prices increase - workaround?

2»

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Voigon said:

@Harambe said:
    I haven't heard a good reason for multiple v4 addresses yet. Install Proxmox or something to manage your personal VMs, configure NAT so each VM gets an internal v4 address + public v6, then use some combination of iptables, HAProxy or nginx to forward/proxy requests from host v4 to internal v4.

In wireguard example you can configure it on a VM and then port forward 51820 from the host v4 address to the internal IP of wireguard VM.

Websites you can run in their own VMs with public v6 and either have haproxy/nginx on the host to handle v4 requests back to internal IP on VMs - or use cloudflare/some other CDN that can sit in front and forward queries from v4 users back to a v6 origin.

Thank you for your answer!
    I think its the best solution so I am trying to go with it.
    I am trying to look for instructions as to how to configure this dual stack network (nat ipv4 + public ipv6) but I cannot find any guides on Hetzner that doesn't use either additional ips or subnets for ipv4
    The problem is that as far as I know vpss are not supposed to have MAC addresses to the VPSs, while proxmox does it automatically
    Do you have experience with such setup or can refer me to a place to start?

Sure. Check this out: https://cyberpersons.com/2016/07/27/setup-nat-proxmox/

If you google "proxmox nat setup" "proxmox nat port forwarding" etc - there are plenty of guides/forum posts. I think there are probably some here on LET.

It's pretty common for people to do at OVH, Hetzner, etc where you only get 1 IP with a dedi and it's expensive (or not possible) to add on more.