Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keepsolid VPN - only some wireguard configuration files work
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Keepsolid VPN - only some wireguard configuration files work

bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
edited August 2021 in Help

While this is a VPS/shared hosting forum, this place has a lot of fans of Keepsolid VPN, so I'm posting it here.

Has anyone seen an issue with Keepsolid's wireguard configuration files, where only certain files work and others don't? At present, I see that their Canada-East and Korea configuration files work correctly, but the US New York, UK Coventry or Singapore locations manage to get me connected but then I have no network connectivity.

I'm using the wg-quick command, so there's no manual configuration to be done, so I'm at a loss how to proceed. Pointers welcome.

Comments

• I am daily driving the wg config's for the Pune Indian location. It work's fine for me.

• All three locations work fine for me (just tested) with Wireguard protocoll. However, I use the Keepsolid App/Software. UK Coventry and US NY were at 80% load just now, maybe it's that?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Working for me fine, using wireguard config

• I just download WG profile for singapore location, working flawlessly.. tested on Android Phone and Windows 10..

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • HotmarerHotmarer Member
    edited August 2021

I have had this problem for a long time. It seems that when you generate a configuration and don't use it for a while, they "delete it" (simply block you from accessing the Internet on it because you can connect to the configuration anyway). I noticed that I started having this when I reported them an error related to the inability to delete the WireGuard configuration. Even if you generated the configuration for a given profile and then deleted this profile, the configuration still worked.

• @Ympker said: All three locations work fine for me (just tested) with Wireguard protocoll. However, I use the Keepsolid App/Software. UK Coventry and US NY were at 80% load just now, maybe it's that?

You would have to manually generate a dozen wireguard configurations for one profile and it's best to try to test them after a week.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • can you tell me how to download the wg profile?

• Can confirm that wireguard connections on some USA servers are intermittent

• Ah, I couldn't connect to Singapore via Wireguard for a month. I thought it could be my Windows 11 beta. (Windows 11 beta disabled IPv6 all the time, don't know why).

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited September 2021

@Hotmarer said: It seems that when you generate a configuration and don't use it for a while, they "delete it"
    You would have to manually generate a dozen wireguard configurations for one profile and it's best to try to test them after a week.

I generated a few of them and started using them immediately, so I'm not sure why they'd not work. The only problem is their support doesn't like to troubleshoot Wireguard issues and state that it must be an user error.

@drakula said: can you tell me how to download the wg profile?

Log in to my.keepsolid.com, click on the VPN subscription's "manage" button, and then you would get options to generate a Wireguard config.

Thanked by 1drakula
  • @stevewatson301 said: I generated a few of them and started using them immediately, so I'm not sure why they'd not work. The only problem is their support doesn't like to troubleshoot Wireguard issues and state that it must be an user error.

In my case, they always worked after being generated and only stopped working after some time.

• @Hotmarer said:

@stevewatson301 said: I generated a few of them and started using them immediately, so I'm not sure why they'd not work. The only problem is their support doesn't like to troubleshoot Wireguard issues and state that it must be an user error.

In my case, they always worked after being generated and only stopped working after some time.

This is exactly what happens to me. The location doesn't matter. After some time without connecting to it, it's gone.

• @Pixels said:

@Hotmarer said:

@stevewatson301 said: I generated a few of them and started using them immediately, so I'm not sure why they'd not work. The only problem is their support doesn't like to troubleshoot Wireguard issues and state that it must be an user error.

This is exactly what happens to me. The location doesn't matter. After some time without connecting to it, it's gone.

Me too, so we’re not alot.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited September 2021

Just had a chat with their support and they had this to say:

Please note, only one WireGuard configuration is valid at a time.
    This is fundamentally different from OpenVPN where downloaded configurations are always active/valid. With Wireguard only the last downloaded configuration is active/valid.
    If you want to switch from, say, UK to France, then you have to go to User Office and download the keys for the French server, which would activate the French Wireguard hosts and also kill the configuration for UK.

• @stevewatson301 said:

This is fundamentally different from OpenVPN where downloaded configurations are always active/valid. With Wireguard only the last downloaded configuration is active/valid.
    If you want to switch from, say, UK to France, then you have to go to User Office and download the keys for the French server, which would activate the French Wireguard hosts and also kill the configuration for UK.

One wireguard configuration per account or device profile?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Now mine stopped working :neutral:

• @Hotmarer said:

@stevewatson301 said:

One wireguard configuration per account or device profile?

Per device profile.

• @stevewatson301 said:

I'm not in front of the GUI, but sounds like they can make that obvious on the config page. Suggest the obvious back to them, please.