Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel i7 6700k or Ryzen 7 2700 Which one is Better ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel i7 6700k or Ryzen 7 2700 Which one is Better ?

Hello guys, I am bit in a confusion, which processor should I choose Ryzen 7 2700 or Intel i7 6700k, both are almost in same price range, and which motherboard is better , Asus B150 or MSI H110 ,?
By the way I have found some Intel ES series processors in local market, anyone has idea about them ?

Comments

• For gaming and other single-threaded work go Intel.
    For multi-threaded work and upgradability go with Ryzen.

• @vovler said:
    For gaming and other single-threaded work go Intel.

Yes , my mostly use is single tasking , no multi-threading,

• @Proxecure said:

@vovler said:
    For gaming and other single-threaded work go Intel.

Definitely Intel. Even for multi threaded tasks with high CPU frequency requirement Intel I'd prefer Intel.

• https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700/2565vs3240
    Not much to consider here, check your use case and just look at the raw numbers.

• I would go with AMD, there are no big difference between both of them in single core performance. Also you could go with better ryzen cpu like 3xxx or 5xxx on the same motherboard which is big win

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2021

Look at the per core benchmark values if your application is single threaded, otherwise look at the overall benchmark.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Proxecure
    The Intel i7 6700k is about 15% better single threaded but the Ryzen 2700 is about 85% faster multi threaded (and cheaper too it seems).

Is it really? And what if you run multiple programs (and the OS, of course, which tends to run multithreaded too)?

@webcraft said:
    Definitely Intel. Even for multi threaded tasks with high CPU frequency requirement Intel I'd prefer Intel.

No. In fact higher frequency usually also means higher power consumption (and electrical power isn't free). Plus, why care about "higher frequency", it's the performance one gets with a processor that counts, not the frequency. And indeed the Ryzen is a 65 W processor while the 6700K is a 95 W one - about 50% more power consumption for not much better single thread performance and much less multi thread performance. Plus the 6700K is about 3 years older.

• @jsg said:
    And indeed the Ryzen is a 65 W processor while the 6700K is a 95 W one - about 50% more power consumption for not much better single thread performance and much less multi thread performance.

You are wrong. TDP is not based on power consumption. It's more like thermal watts. Please read for example this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6svy1a/tdp_vs_tdp/ Before talking such a bullshit.

Thanked by 1webcraft
    edited August 2021

@TeYroX said:

@jsg said:
    And indeed the Ryzen is a 65 W processor while the 6700K is a 95 W one - about 50% more power consumption for not much better single thread performance and much less multi thread performance.

You are wrong. TDP is not based on power consumption. It's more like thermal watts. Please read for example this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6svy1a/tdp_vs_tdp/ Before talking such a bullshit.

Duh. You really think that one should go indepth wrt TDP in a thread where someone asks "intel x or AMD y?". I don't think so. And btw 'TDP' is commonly quoted to provide a (rough, granted) idea of power consumption.
    IF you were really smart you'd at least have mentioned that intel TDP numbers much less reliable and "marketing optimized" than AMD's.

And btw, where do you think the power generating the heat ("thermal Watts") comes from? Elves? Mermaids? Or maybe from the el. power socket?

• @TeYroX said:
    I would go with AMD, there are no big difference between both of them in single core performance. Also you could go with better ryzen cpu like 3xxx or 5xxx on the same motherboard which is big win

Yeah , that's a plus point for future upgrades

• @jsg said:
    @Proxecure
    The Intel i7 6700k is about 15% better single threaded but the Ryzen 2700 is about 85% faster multi threaded (and cheaper too it seems).

Is it really? And what if you run multiple programs (and the OS, of course, which tends to run multithreaded too)?

@webcraft said:

No. In fact higher frequency usually also means higher power consumption (and electrical power isn't free). Plus, why care about "higher frequency", it's the performance one gets with a processor that counts, not the frequency. And indeed the Ryzen is a 65 W processor while the 6700K is a 95 W one - about 50% more power consumption for not much better single thread performance and much less multi thread performance. Plus the 6700K is about 3 years older.

6700k was released in 2015 , it's almost 6 years old

@Proxecure said:

@jsg said:
    @Proxecure

@webcraft said:

6700k was released in 2015 , it's almost 6 years old

I wrote " 3 years older" (than the Ryzen 2700).

• @TeYroX said:
    I would go with AMD, there are no big difference between both of them in single core performance. Also you could go with better ryzen cpu like 3xxx or 5xxx on the same motherboard which is big win

Yes, and also no. This is not a dependency on the socket itself, but the chipset (B or X doesn't matter much either). Get something with a 300/400/500 series chipset, and you're likely supported from pinnacle to matisse (maybe even warhol). But be mindful of the BIOS revision as some newer revs will drop support for Zen/Zen+.
    The motherboard suppliers did get their panties twisted up because AMD kept the socket for what is now 5 generations. This, strangely takes a bite into their profits/sales.
    I already got burned on AMD with the Sp3r2 showing that they're willing to just move a couple pins and crap on HEDT.

@jsg said: And btw, where do you think the power generating the heat ("thermal Watts") comes from? Elves? Mermaids? Or maybe from the el. power socket?

You dare deny the existence of electrical mermaid elves? Dont talk a bullshit!

• The 1700X was released when the 7700K was hot sale
    Now you're comparing 6700K to 2700x :'(

@CheepCluck said:
    Yes, and also no. This is not a dependency on the socket itself, but the chipset ...

Good point.

@jsg said: And btw, where do you think the power generating the heat ("thermal Watts") comes from? Elves? Mermaids? Or maybe from the el. power socket?

You dare deny the existence of electrical mermaid elves? Dont talk a bullshit!

Hell, yes, I am! Are you stuck in the 15th century? We enlightened modern people know that electrical power is created by invisible quasi-bees jetted out from black holes and transferring electrical energy into the power network when flying kind of Hawking string patterns near mermaid elves which then become electrical, but only for some pico seconds before they turn into electron piles, so good luck proving otherwise. Dont talk a bullshit yourself!

• I have 6700k at home and, actually, thinking about upgrade to Ryzen (as 80% my dedicated servers are on Ryzen 3600 it and, to be honest, the performance in [my] real tasks could be up to twice comparing with 6700, which i also had). Yeah, i see that you're talking about 2700 model, but, joining to said above by TeYroX, i suppose that the right decision, if it's applicable, will to go with higher and newer model.

• snapdragon 888+

• @MarshalChe said:
    I have 6700k at home and, actually, thinking about upgrade to Ryzen (as 80% my dedicated servers are on Ryzen 3600 it and, to be honest, the performance in [my] real tasks could be up to twice comparing with 6700, which i also had). Yeah, i see that you're talking about 2700 model, but, joining to said above by TeYroX, i suppose that the right decision, if it's applicable, will to go with higher and newer model.

So, your experience is that Ryzen is better then Intel !
    Yeah It will be bit costly but I will try to get Ryzen 3600

• @creep said:
    snapdragon 888+

🙄