Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Configuration For Remote Desktop on Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Configuration For Remote Desktop on Linux

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hi All,

Hopefully it's not just me but has anyone had a successful configuration and care to share it for a fast Remote Desktop experience with linux? It just seems laggy even on local networks.

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

VNC

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    VNC

I find VNC to be laggy not smooth not like Remote Desktop. Is there some configuration file I need to change to make this faster?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

What VNC software you using?
    You say too laggy as in? Trying to watch video from it?

• @davenz said:
    Hi All,

Hopefully it's not just me but has anyone had a successful configuration and care to share it for a fast Remote Desktop experience with linux? It just seems laggy even on local networks.

NoMachine.
    Even watching YouTube video is smooth.

Thanked by 2desperand Matt247
  • j3rj3r Member

check out chrome remote desktop, works great.

• No Machine works great.

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • rcxbrcxb Member

Install x2goserver on the machine, and x2goclient where you want to view it. Uses SSH.

Set the profile to a low color depth like 256-jpeg and try the connection speed slider adjustment.

• Thinlinc used to work pretty well last time I tried it, used to be 10 concurrent users for free but they dropped it to 5.

I believe it's based around a modified tigervnc but whatever they've done to it seems to make it work a lot better than straight vnc ever did for me.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

nomachine or x2go. I use X2go.
    Chrome remote desktop I use in case of dynamic IPs when i am lazy to setup some freedns.afraid.org solution. It can't compare with X2go but works because I hate teamviewer and use it only when the other side is really inept at setting up chrome remote desktop or it is a one time thing.

• @Maounique said:
    nomachine or x2go. I use X2go.
    Chrome remote desktop I use in case of dynamic IPs when i am lazy to setup some freedns.afraid.org solution. It can't compare with X2go but works because I hate teamviewer and use it only when the other side is really inept at setting up chrome remote desktop or it is a one time thing.

https://control.connectwise.com/free - for a teamviewer alternative.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • I use nomachine, default configuration, smooth.

• I find that xrdp works really well, far superior to vnc

• DamoHGDamoHG Member, Patron Provider

Tested a few xrdp for the RDP and xfce for the UI.

sudo apt install xfce4 xfce4-goodies xorg dbus-x11 x11-xserver-utils -y

sudo apt install xrdp -y

sudo adduser xrdp ssl-cert 
    sudo systemctl restart xrdp

• snzsnz Member

@dahartigan said:
    I find that xrdp works really well, far superior to vnc

Yeah, I’ve been using this for a while now and I’m impressed. I can play fullhd YouTube with ~ 50 FPS, multiple screens work without any issues. Using awesome WM btw.

• zhizhi Member

xrdp yyds

• Apache Guacamole is an awesome web gateway for connecting to your desktops also