Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iCloud+ Custom Email Domains
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iCloud+ Custom Email Domains

DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
edited August 2021 in General

One of the features Apple announced during the WWDC21 keynote with iCloud+ was the ability to customize email domains. After two months, you can now do that on iCloud’s beta site.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/08/25/icloud-custom-email-domains-now-available-in-beta-heres-how-to-use-them/

Has anyone tried this out yet?

I still <3 MXroute though.

Thanked by 1jar

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2021

Paying user since 2006 save for the brief moment .Mac transitioned into free MobileMe, resumed paying as soon as they got a solid monetization plan back in place.

I think this time is where we part ways. They've never paid enough attention to the email to deserve any money for it, it was the other iCloud features that earned the money.

The only feature I really like from this is the removal of the limit for camera recordings. I dropped a lot of money after Wyze disappointed me, then Apple was like "you can pick 3 cameras to record while you're gone, deal with it." Now I'm afraid I'll shave my dick and get swatted for CP because iCloud thought I left the house.

Thanked by 1DP
  • LeeLee Veteran

I like the idea of it and it would suit me to use Apple for my main email. That said I will wait for the MacRumors crowd to do all the testing and see what happens.

No real fan of Gmail, it costs me about $20 per month for my main email domain, it works, never had an issue spam filtering is perfect and so on.

Plus I have no real incentive to move away from Gmail simply because I would have to change something on my wife's phone and I am never in the frame of mind to tackle that.

Thanked by 1DP
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Lee said:
    I like the idea of it and it would suit me to use Apple for my main email. That said I will wait for the MacRumors crowd to do all the testing and see what happens.

No real fan of Gmail, it costs me about $20 per month for my main email domain, it works, never had an issue spam filtering is perfect and so on.

Plus I have no real incentive to move away from Gmail simply because I would have to change something on my wife's phone and I am never in the frame of mind to tackle that.

Yeah, well, my main's on Gmail, others on MXroute and I'm not planning to move things around any time soon.

But now with this iCloud+, it'll just be another option worth considering in future if needed.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

@DP said: But now with this iCloud+, it'll just be another option worth considering in future if needed.

There is bound to be some sort of limitation or tie in with Apple that I have yet to find. It wouldn't be Apple with conditions attached :)

• Just trying. It’s cool, if you’re using apple ecosystem

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@youandri said:
    Just trying. It’s cool, if you’re using apple ecosystem

Indeed.

It's something that should've been provided eons ago :joy:

• emghemgh Member

Necro but valid one:

Not in Beta anymore!

I’m a iCloud+ user and have been for a while. $0.99 a month, smallest package.

It might be one of the worst reasons to subscribe to something, but the backup warnings annoyed me into signing up.

Now, I realised what I’ve wasted might actually not be a waste anymore.

I get a relatively large mailbox for my new project at no additional cost, and if I wasn’t a client already, at less than $12 a year.

It’s a provider that I fully trust with production-level projects, too.

Another great provider, Migadu, would charge $90 a year for roughly the same service.

Not very big on Google, but surely way more expensive too?

Obviously not the easiest solution for those of you not in the Apple ecosystem. However, I use it ALL, and for those that do, iCloud+ really is a great LowEndMail.

Thanked by 1DP
  • @emgh said:
    Necro but valid one:

Not in Beta anymore!

I’m a iCloud+ user and have been for a while. $0.99 a month, smallest package.

It might be one of the worst reasons to subscribe to something, but the backup warnings annoyed me into signing up.

Now, I realised what I’ve wasted might actually not be a waste anymore.

I get a relatively large mailbox for my new project at no additional cost, and if I wasn’t a client already, at less than $12 a year.

It’s a provider that I fully trust with production-level projects, too.

Another great provider, Migadu, would charge $90 a year for roughly the same service.

Not very big on Google, but surely way more expensive too?

Obviously not the easiest solution for those of you not in the Apple ecosystem. However, I use it ALL, and for those that do, iCloud+ really is a great LowEndMail.

I use Zoho for my email domains but I have been curious about iCloud since I already pay for it for other things (heavy Apple user). Would it make sense to switch from Zoho to iCloud? I currently use 1 domain with 2 mailboxes and another domain with a single mailbox. What are the limitations when using iCloud with custom domains for email? Thanks

Thanked by 2DP emgh
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

One thing I noticed recently. Someone had their Plex server sending them notifications for successful automation actions to an iCloud hosted domain. They stopped accepting email for the account for a bit, saying the account was receiving too much mail.

Google does the same, rate limits are good. But this was under 200 an hour inbound so it’s a much lower threshold. This to say, don’t have your cron jobs and stuff sending notifications to these emails, it’s not designed for stuff like that.

Otherwise seems to work nicely and the way it integrates with everything is refreshingly simple.

Thanked by 3adly DP emgh
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2022

@jar said: One thing I noticed recently. Someone had their Plex server sending them notifications for successful automation actions to an iCloud hosted domain. They stopped accepting email for the account for a bit, saying the account was receiving too much mail.

I started using it for me and my wife, I specifically asked at the time what the limits are and they stated 1k per day in and out.

Thanked by 4DP jar Erisa emgh
  • mhnmhn Member

iCloud+ is great! Been using it for about 6 months now. There are slight problems with emails not entering mailbox but that happens just with tiny companies & websites, most of them work fine. Email masking is another feature of the iCloud+ package, allowing me to generate a new email for any service, avoiding spam. One click and the address is deleted.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @mhn said:
    iCloud+ is great! Been using it for about 6 months now. There are slight problems with emails not entering mailbox but that happens just with tiny companies & websites, most of them work fine. Email masking is another feature of the iCloud+ package, allowing me to generate a new email for any service, avoiding spam. One click and the address is deleted.

Indeed. Some websites don’t allow the “+” parameter I rely on through GSuite for spam filitering, so the private addresses have been a godsend.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2022

It is one of Apple's better services. The Spam control is good although not as perfect as Gmail. But I was paying $20 to Gmail vs virtually nothing to Apple. And being able to generate email addresses is a good feature. Overall we are really happy with it so far. We are deep in the Ecosystem so it makes sense.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @jar said:
    Paying user since 2006 save for the brief moment .Mac transitioned into free MobileMe, resumed paying as soon as they got a solid monetization plan back in place.

I think this time is where we part ways. They've never paid enough attention to the email to deserve any money for it, it was the other iCloud features that earned the money.

The only feature I really like from this is the removal of the limit for camera recordings. I dropped a lot of money after Wyze disappointed me, then Apple was like "you can pick 3 cameras to record while you're gone, deal with it." Now I'm afraid I'll shave my dick and get swatted for CP because iCloud thought I left the house.

Interesting insight there, there's a lot of subtext to unpack 🤣 Although that genuinely made me laugh - also whilst quoting you PLEASE add a UK location 😁 We used mxroute as a test for a while and it was great as a service! We'd love to see a UK location though!

Thanked by 2jar emgh
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

What If you don't use an iphone? How does 2FA work? I do use Macs, but I don't know If that'll be ok. They do say they support it with your icloud account, just wondering how that would work with Android?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I use it on a domain I use pretty much exclusively for personal correspondence. Works great.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited July 2022

@Arkas said:
    What If you don't use an iphone? How does 2FA work? I do use Macs, but I don't know If that'll be ok. They do say they support it with your icloud account, just wondering how that would work with Android?

They send 2FA codes to any Apple device that you own, so it would send it to your Mac in this case. If there is no device available, you can click a button and get it over SMS instead, to any kind of phone.

For Android and elsewhere, you can connect to iCloud with IMAP. You may have to use an App password (Which you can generate on the iCloud account website) if your app of choice does not support iCloud login natively.

There's also a web interface: https://www.icloud.com/mail/

Thanked by 2Arkas emgh