Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap desktop style colo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap desktop style colo

Are there any places that take desktop machines for colo? I don't care about quality, ddos protection, etc, and I don't care if it's an office building where they just put it on a shelf. Cheap BW is fine, Cog net is fine, Not RPI size, but not full size tower.

I already have a lot of servers in KC so skipping that.

Cost: As low as possible
Accepting crypto is a plus. IPv6 is a plus.

Comments

• aiden1aiden1 Member
    edited August 2021

already have a ticket open

hoping for more suggestions.. i don't have a high bar for quality, just looking for cheap and plentiful. might even try a mac mini.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

How high is the desktop you are using?
    Its possible you could use a shelf and sit it on its side?
    If you send the dimensions I can see if we can help with our colo in Dallas, TX

• aiden1aiden1 Member
    edited August 2021

@Ian_Dot_Tech said: If you send the dimensions I can see if we can help with our colo in Dallas, TX

It's higher than 1U unfortunately, so that wouldn't be very useful use of rack space. I'm probably going with josh for TX though.

It's an optiplex usff, about 11inch x 11inch x 4inch. I really hate that "usff" refers to both this form factor and the palm-sized ones.

(wiki image)

If its 4 inches, I could offer it in 3U colo,
    So it would be $35/month 1u 1amp + $20/month for extra 2U
    Could sit it on a shelf sideways.

3U colocation
    1amp @ 120v
    10TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Port
    DDoS protection
    IPv4 /29 (5 usable IPs) + IPv6 /64
    Dallas, TX
    $55/month

• that goes past my "I really should move this out from under my bed colo pocket change" budget and into "I should seriously consider buying a used 1U/2U" budget unfortunately :(

@aiden1 said:
    that goes past my "I really should move this out from under my bed colo pocket change" budget and into "I should seriously consider buying a used 1U/2U" budget unfortunately :(

You can pick up on Ebay some Supermicro E3's 32GB for like $200-300 daily. Would be a lot better than a desktop in my opinion and cheaper to colocate.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Never used Joe's Datacenter but the pricing on their page is transparent.

https://joesdatacenter.com/products/colocation/

• @raindog308 said:
    Never used Joe's Datacenter but the pricing on their page is transparent.

https://joesdatacenter.com/products/colocation/

From what I read they are from the same group as Nocix/Wholesaleinternet, not sure