Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This guy uses Azure as a personal computer. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

This guy uses Azure as a personal computer.

2»

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

What If I want to use Debian to do this?

• @Arkas said:
    What If I want to use Debian to do this?

You can just install a desktop environment of your choice and something like xrdp on any vps

Also, xrdp might not be the fastest but, if you plan on using a windows device to access your vps , rdp is much easier because every windows pc has a rdp client,

Also if you want to run a windows 10 rdp instance on your server you need windows 10 pro as only pro has rdp server,

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I've always struggled with xrdp on linux however xfce desktop had better performance but still laggy when compared to rdp on a windows machine.

• @digitalwicked said:
    I've always struggled with xrdp on linux however xfce desktop had better performance but still laggy when compared to rdp on a windows machine.

I have the same experience as yours. Xrdp was unusable in 70ms latency. Now I am using nomachine. Nomachine working quite well. You could give it a try.

Thanked by 1digitalwicked
  • @Hakim said:
    I have the same experience as yours. Xrdp was unusable in 70ms latency. Now I am using nomachine. Nomachine working quite well. You could give it a try.

Thanks Hakim, I'll give it a shot.

• @Hakim said:

@digitalwicked said:
    I've always struggled with xrdp on linux however xfce desktop had better performance but still laggy when compared to rdp on a windows machine.

What kind of specs are enough to get a smooth experience? Are you using it as work computer? I'm thinking of giving it a try. Thanks!

• It depends on what you do. But i would stick with tmux(with mosh) and tramp-mode or vscode-remote. You won't feel the latency.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rdp itself uses little resources it is what you do with computer what matters, plus latency, albeit with a good connection, no matter where in the world, you will have a good experience.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@cadddr said: tramp-mode

Ah, those tramps...