Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do if my website unaccessible ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to do if my website unaccessible ?

I used shared hosting before, now I migrated to vps. It's been smooth for few months already. So I don't think it's the vps issue. And this happen recently.

In shared hosting, if someone overused, abused the server, other people site also affected right ? Is that the same with VPS ?

My current situation, website unaccessible, cpu usage 100%, ssh stuck becoz cpu usage 100%, restart vps not helping, does that mean someone ddos me ? Now my website still down, what to do ?

Comments

• Get a managed service.

• @MrPsycho said:
    Get a managed service.

Not the ddos protection one ?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Create a thread on LET.

Thanked by 1lanefu
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Check what is causing that 100% cpu before you make assumptions.
    Check top/htop, check the connections etc if you can.

Thanked by 1tokoyuki
  • @Neoon said:

I can't login to vps with ssh, can't check

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2021

@tokoyuki said:

@Neoon said:

Get a VNC session up and running.
    Ask the provider for a second IP or use IPv6 or even ask them to blackhole that IPv4 address where you think the attack is coming from so you can access it via v6...

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

@tokoyuki said: In shared hosting, if someone overused, abused the server, other people site also affected right ? Is that the same with VPS ?

Not with decent web hosts, it's not possible for one site to abuse resources to the point other sites are affected in a proper setup. If that's the reason you went down the path towards your own VPS then the better option would be to look at better hosting providers.

You'd probably find you have better performance and lower costs too.

Thanked by 1tokoyuki
  • frogfrog Barred

@tokoyuki said:
    Now my website still down, what to do ?

It is Friday, enjoy the weekend and check again Monday.
    Or hire a sysadmin.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Burn sage in your room after disabling smoke detection system.

Then pray for best after creating a thread on LET.

• Sounds like a first time on VPS. It's quite hard to go in prod without any experience.
    In any case, we can't help with so little information. But here some possibilities:

• hard to tell it's a DDoS if it's still continue, also providers not providing DDoS protection will just null-route your VPS (make it offline)
    • you maybe got your website "hacked"
    • maybe your VPS got hacked.

With 100% CPU used, it will be hard to do anything, but you may check your provider manager if there is a "VNC" option ; the panel should be able to provide the password and you will have to know a login and password of your Linux system.

If you still can't do anything, which i'm pretty sure will be the case, you can try "rescue" mod:

• at the boot of the VPS using VNC you will have to press a key to access grub and start in safe mode (you will have to do some searchs to know more about that)
    • or you can check / request your provider if they have a rescue image on what your VPS can boot.

Since your VPS is unmanaged, your provider has not to help you as your issue is related to your own use. Some provider will do it as best effort, but don't forget they don't have any engagement to.

I really hope you have some backups of your data, it's one of the main cause of business death.

Good luck, hope you will get out of this shitty moment :(.

• lesson on this, ... backup is very important

• @Neoon said:

@tokoyuki said:

@Neoon said:

Get a VNC session up and running.
    Ask the provider for a second IP or use IPv6 or even ask them to blackhole that IPv4 address where you think the attack is coming from so you can access it via v6...

@o_be_one said:
    Sounds like a first time on VPS. It's quite hard to go in prod without any experience.
    In any case, we can't help with so little information. But here some possibilities:

• hard to tell it's a DDoS if it's still continue, also providers not providing DDoS protection will just null-route your VPS (make it offline)
    • you maybe got your website "hacked"
    • maybe your VPS got hacked.

With 100% CPU used, it will be hard to do anything, but you may check your provider manager if there is a "VNC" option ; the panel should be able to provide the password and you will have to know a login and password of your Linux system.

If you still can't do anything, which i'm pretty sure will be the case, you can try "rescue" mod:

• at the boot of the VPS using VNC you will have to press a key to access grub and start in safe mode (you will have to do some searchs to know more about that)
    • or you can check / request your provider if they have a rescue image on what your VPS can boot.

Since your VPS is unmanaged, your provider has not to help you as your issue is related to your own use. Some provider will do it as best effort, but don't forget they don't have any engagement to.

I really hope you have some backups of your data, it's one of the main cause of business death.

Good luck, hope you will get out of this shitty moment :(.

I tried to use VNC into the vps, but stuck at localhost login, I can't enter anything inside.
    I shutdown the whole vps, and let it cool for 1 hour, after reboot, it works fine again. I do have backup weekly setup in cronjob. I removed redis and see how it goes. Maybe not ddos, just something goes wrong in my server setup.

• misconfigured ..
    congrat ,
    be careful in next time

• @pedagang said:
    misconfigured ..
    congrat ,
    be careful in next time

No, it's not misconfigured, I just suspect redis cause this issue, it was working fine, since I am not sure what caused the problem, I try to disable redis and see if it still cause issues. The vps still working even with redis installed.

• You always hear about how important backups are but even those won’t save you in a case like yours. It’s worth finding a provider that does automatic snapshots. A recent php update borked my application and I was able to quickly roll back and fix app.

Thanked by 1pedagang
  • @redcat said:
    You always hear about how important backups are but even those won’t save you in a case like yours. It’s worth finding a provider that does automatic snapshots. A recent php update borked my application and I was able to quickly roll back and fix app.

Yeah, backups are important, but I won't even trust my backup to my providers, I use aapanel and use the built-in backup, it runs weekly in cronjob to backup the whole site and database into google drive. What's more it's free, save few cents.

• @tokoyuki said:

No, it's not misconfigured, I just suspect redis cause this issue, it was working fine, since I am not sure what caused the problem, I try to disable redis and see if it still cause issues. The vps still working even with redis installed.

What about logs? Did you find anything helpfull?