Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most reliable big hosting brands?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most reliable big hosting brands?

armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

We all started from somewhere.. most likely some current EIG company.

Are you still hosting any website/project currently in any of these big brands like hostgator, godaddy, bluehost.. etc? If yes what was your experience with them and who do you think is the most reliable big hosting brand?

My best personal experience was siteground. Somewhere was worth the money for it's shared hosting service.

Thanked by 1Ympker

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2021

I wouldn't compare them to an EIG buyout brand but I use KnownHost to run some websites for relatives that I don't want linked to my own stuff. I like that they've always been pretty "web hosting catering" mainly and the best I'd trust for that from their experience, pretty sure I pre-pay like 3 years or something.

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

Siteground wasn't bad when I used them, tbh. But moved away, ultimately. Of the big brands, I also use IONOS for most "managed" clients and it works good enough.

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • In 2014 at the start of our game hosting business, we used GoDaddy for webhosting. We eventually moved to our own owned hardware and webservers. However, since the initial webhosting at GoDaddy, we still have around 20 domains sitting with them. I will add the reason we ended up switching to our own servers is multiple times they completely wiped our dns configuration taking our website down for up to 24 hours each time.

• I still have some sites hosted with following:

• Godaddy (sometimes better, sometimes has connection problems, but sites do load faster, but not suitable for wordpress. I moved out WP sites.)
    • Bluehost (I had one somewhere in 2005 or 2006 which was better than all, then it went crap in 2018 onwards)
    • A Small Orange (was prem when it was private entity now another EIG crap)
    • A2 Hosting (better than all but costly plan)
    • Bigrock (slowest loading speed)
    Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

Namecheap did me good when I used it for my stupid lol websites. Never had any downtime.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Rackspace.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited August 2021

Had a hosting package with godaddy for the longest time, up until I needed more resources and eventually moved to VPS / Dedis / DIY full-time. The only shared hosting I now have is through @MikePT for a lifetime (I guess?) :tongue:

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I had a good experience with Dreamhost. Used them for something like 10 years. And they were happy to host 200GB of stuff on my $7.95/mo shared hosting. A guy on WHT said he had > 1TB o this shared account.

Liked their panel so much more than cPanel (or even DA).

It's been a few years - no idea what they're like now.

• LeviLevi Member

All EIG brands for mini websites was perfect. No downtime, no problems with support. Siteground, asmallorange, hostgator.

• @raindog308 said:
    I had a good experience with Dreamhost. Used them for something like 10 years. And they were happy to host 200GB of stuff on my $7.95/mo shared hosting. A guy on WHT said he had > 1TB o this shared account.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Dreamhost were one of those "unlimited" disk space guys, correct? Interestingly, I seem to have heard more positive things about them than one would perhaps assume.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Ympker said: Correct me if I am wrong, but Dreamhost were one of those "unlimited" disk space guys, correct? Interestingly, I seem to have heard more positive things about them than one would perhaps assume.

Originally they were not, then they went unlimited, then for a while they said "unlimited plus 50GB" because you also got 50GB of free personal backup space, though they later dropped that service.

I don't think it's dishonest, in the sense of what "unlimited disk" means:

• your files have to be publicly-facing (i.e., not stashing your personal backups there)
    • you can't be infringing copyright

Given that, there are very few people who'll be able to exceed more than, what, 50GB?

I was able to get up to 200GB through a combination of:

• Personal/family photo albums
    • Personal art materials
    • Hosting OTR archives which are public domain and other similar public domain shows

Again, there are people who had >1TB of legit content and DH didn't complain.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @raindog308 said:

@Ympker said: Correct me if I am wrong, but Dreamhost were one of those "unlimited" disk space guys, correct? Interestingly, I seem to have heard more positive things about them than one would perhaps assume.

Originally they were not, then they went unlimited, then for a while they said "unlimited plus 50GB" because you also got 50GB of free personal backup space, though they later dropped that service.

I don't think it's dishonest, in the sense of what "unlimited disk" means:

• your files have to be publicly-facing (i.e., not stashing your personal backups there)
    • you can't be infringing copyright

Given that, there are very few people who'll be able to exceed more than, what, 50GB?

I was able to get up to 200GB through a combination of:

• Personal/family photo albums
    • Personal art materials
    • Hosting OTR archives which are public domain and other similar public domain shows

Again, there are people who had >1TB of legit content and DH didn't complain.

Seems fair enough, tbh. "Unlimited" Storage done right, perhaps? Interesting to hear, nontheless!

• @raindog308 said:

I was able to negotiate a lower price for many years until they stopped and I switched away. Stupid of them. The best part of DreamHost was the newsletter. Legendarily funny.