Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Android box + Termux - where is the storage ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Android box + Termux - where is the storage ?

loydloyd Member
edited August 2021 in General

X96Q Android box came with Smartbox user interface. Installed F-droid and Termux. Smartbox Settings -> Device Preferences -> Storage reports storage correctly 61GB, 1.8GB taken by apps, some cache, misc, etc, 58GB available.

But there is very little storage under Termux:

df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/block/dm-0 1402100 1397876 0 100% /
tmpfs 497504 612 496892 1% /dev
tmpfs 497504 0 497504 0% /mnt
tmpfs 497504 0 497504 0% /apex
/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 11760 72 11204 1% /metadata
/dev/block/dm-1 110316 109976 0 100% /vendor
/dev/block/dm-2 116244 115844 0 100% /product
/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 4581356 2169688 2411668 48% /data
/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 628672 512 608504 1% /cache
/dev/block/mmcblk0p16 16334 2 16332 1% /Reserve0
/data/media 4581356 2169688 2411668 48% /storage/emulated

Comments

• Did you run termux-setup-storage in terminal?

• loydloyd Member
    edited August 2021

Did you run termux-setup-storage in terminal?

yes

• loydloyd Member
    edited August 2021

@nikozin said:
    Did you run termux-setup-storage in terminal?

Also, tried to generate bunch of large files in Python to:

$HOME/storage/movies

$HOME/storage/shared/Movies

but after writing 2.5GB of files it fails with no more space on device.

When checking Storage in Smartbox UI settings, it only increased Apps to 4.2GB, Misc to 2.8GB and still showing 56GB available.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited August 2021

Wouldn't be first time China faking specs. Especially with flash, all those famous 512GB pendrives paid a lot ;)
    If spaces does not show up in df I guess it's not there. You can adb to device shell, but I guess the output will be the same. It's not there.

Also they did it (a lot) to first, x96mini with RAM in the past - you bought 2 GB, you got 1 GB chips with crafted rom showing 2 GB. Reinstall rom to something 'clean' and there goes back to real 1 GB.

Wanna open that device and take picture of the board components? :D

Thanked by 1loyd
  • loydloyd Member

@JabJab said:
    Wouldn't be first time China faking specs. Especially with flash, all those famous 512GB pendrives paid a lot ;)
    If spaces does not show up in df I guess it's not there. You can adb to device shell, but I guess the output will be the same. It's not there.

Also they did it (a lot) to first, x96mini with RAM in the past - you bought 2 GB, you got 1 GB chips with crafted rom showing 2 GB. Reinstall rom to something 'clean' and there goes back to real 1 GB.

Wanna open that device and take picture of the board components? :D

Sure

• loydloyd Member
    edited August 2021

@JabJab you are right, that largest single chip on bottom side which is impossible to read in my photo is KLM8G1GETF-B041

It is 64Gb not 64GB. The seller was Banggood, they advertise it as 64GB though

Fortunately, I bought this specifically for 4GB RAM anyway, hopefully can expand the storage through SD and use it under Termux. I really do not want to spend days trying to root or reflash this device.

It is still amazing piece of hardware, it runs on 2~3W !!!

Thanks!

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited August 2021

@loyd said: Fortunately, I bought this specifically for 4GB RAM anyway

So, here comes another SAD news... you don't have 4 GB of RAM. All those RAM dices have 1G in name... and that is in bits too.

1GB RAM/8 GB flash is the most common in those atvs and then it goes 2/16, 4/64 etc.
    Straight out scammed, message Banggood and be ready to have first few almost-bot autoresponse messages - go past them, you will get human eventually.

Also yeah, couldn't figure out all the markings on that chip [lack of photoshop skills does not help :P], but I see you found it yourself.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited August 2021

also not sure what you want to use this for, but Allwinner CPUs (and drivers/hacks/support) is meh - this is like Snapdragon (AMLogic) vs MediaTek (Allwinner) in ATVs land. One is mostly open, have tools, there are custom ROMs and then is closed MediaTek/Allwinner with no support, no roots etc :P

If you plan only to watch things on this it could work, but 1 GB RAM gonna be a killer. Yell at them, get a full refund, don't send it back - it will probably cost too much. They fucked up, they can pay for that, at least 50% of what you paid and you keep the device? Go fight them :)

• loydloyd Member
    edited August 2021

@JabJab said:

@loyd said: Fortunately, I bought this specifically for 4GB RAM anyway

So, here comes another SAD news... you don't have 4 GB of RAM. All those RAM dices have 1G in name... and that is in bits too.

Are you sure K4B1G0446F are 1Gb ? Samsung datasheet decodes the part number as 1Gb density and organization x 4 bit

https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/3566/K4B1G0446F-HYH9-pdf.php

would they be able to cheat this ?

~ $ free -m
    total used free shared buff/cache available
    Mem: 4043 468 3105 2 470 460
    Swap: 3032 13 3019

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited August 2021

Yes, free -m was spoofed on previous, first x96 mini versions :(
    Never really checked how and why, but it was there and that was a little problem around our little community.

No one would put 4GB of RAM with 8 GB flash :P

Thanked by 1loyd
  • loydloyd Member
    edited August 2021

@JabJab said:
    Yes, free -m was spoofed on previous, first x96 mini versions :(
    Never really checked how and why, but it was there and that was a little problem around our little community.

No one would put 4GB of RAM in 8 GB flash :P

It is not unusual for single purpose devices: https://www.connection.com/product/cisco-4451-x-2u-rm-router-4gb-ram-8gb-flash-4xgbe-4xsfp-1xpsu-cisco-ios-ip-base/isr4451-x-k9/16000216

That aside, I run a C program that allocates 1MB chunks and fills them in the loop, it run fast up to around 500MB then slowed down and crashed by 3.2GB, so the reported 4GB includes the 3GB swap space.

You are right, it is a scam device. Banggood is probably innocent, the manufacturer advertises it as 4GB/64GB. Thanks for your help.

• I mean in ATVs - no one will put 4 GB RAM with 8 GB flash.

Sure, the 15.000$ Cisco specialized piece of equipment it's totally different story.
    Those ATV as mass product, to be "cheap" and there is no 'manufacturer' - you can't really find any "branding" on the box - most of those comes from different random factories that they had parts and/or bought/stole the board design. Banggood made a deal with them, they should have checked (believe me, they know how China and those ATV works after so many years on the market:D). You can bash them, don't feel sorry for them, they are aware/this is business practice/cost.

Also on serious note - I don't like price of this device on banggood - with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage it's too sweet of a deal, even for China.

Thanked by 1loyd
  • Opened ticket with Banggood, they requested picture of shipping label and original package and video showing the problem. I boought 2 units in Dec'20, do not have original package and problem is clear from pictures, also they can verify on their own since they still sell them. They replied "we will confirm the issue" and ticket was in "Suppling more proof" status since then, about 2wks.

In the meantime they put them on sale :wink:

These devices are not completely useless, even with 1GB/8GB I will find role for them, still better price than 1GB RaspberryPi or OrangePi.